Random game spread cheese Topic

Posted by dadbod on 7/24/2016 9:20:00 PM (view original):
"-I've never really looked hard at it, but I seem to remember something about plus defenses leading to more steals. Can someone confirm?"

I have never heard about this or noticed it, Poncho.

It's very possible I could be wrong on this After playing this game for 8+ years, it's hard to keep track of everything. I've forgotten a lot that I used to know as well.

7/26/2016 12:51 AM
Posted by emy1013 on 7/24/2016 2:39:00 PM (view original):
Posted by poncho0091 on 7/23/2016 7:10:00 PM (view original):
I don't seem to notice this every season anomaly, and I think it's fair to say I've been around quite awhile. This sounds like more the norm for someone who went 0-54. You almost have to try to lose like that.

Some things to note:
-You have weak defenders at the guards spots. While I agree at the thought of going +1 against a strong 3 pt shooting team, I don't know if I would consider them strong enough to go +1, but maybe the results are saying otherwise. With that said your weak defenders allowed them the opportunity and for a sim, they have respectable speed, bh, pass, and per.

-Why were you running a slowdown? You don't have a lot of scoring options, but you have a significant Ath and overall defense advantage. You have the better team. Keep in mind, guys who are really athletic, but don't necessarily shoot well can draw fouls. Free throws have value. Forcing the opponent into foul trouble has value. I can see you running a slowdown through the season, but not against this team.

-I've never really looked hard at it, but I seem to remember something about plus defenses leading to more steals. Can someone confirm?
Poncho, I think he was "probably" right in slowing it down, bad Sim or not. He's only got a ten man roster (no Wardo those two walk-ons really don't count) and SIX of those ten have stamina ratings in the 60's plus he's running a M2M so he's got that working against that bunch as well.

I may just be in the minority on this point but I think that with what he has to work with he's going to want to slow it down for most of the season or at least until some of his player's STA ratings improve. If he doesn't, he's going to need to invest in some backpacks and oxygen tanks because his team will look like they're a bunch of chain smokers by the end of each half (if not far sooner). And heaven help him if any of those guys get into foul trouble, he'd be doomed. Just my opinion, you're a very successful coach as well Poncho. To each their own I suppose, yes?
fair enough. I think he still has enough, but the stamina could play a big enough factor. I might be more of a risk taker and say screw it, I'll take my chances of guys fouling out and adjust as the season moves on if it becomes a trend.

I do agree that overall that team would run slow down more often than not though, I just think that sim was weak enough that running a slow down might hurt him more, by helping the sim stay in the game longer.
7/26/2016 12:55 AM
Posted by poncho0091 on 7/26/2016 12:51:00 AM (view original):
"-I've never really looked hard at it, but I seem to remember something about plus defenses leading to more steals. Can someone confirm?"

It's very possible I could be wrong on this After playing this game for 8+ years, it's hard to keep track of everything. I've forgotten a lot that I used to know as well.

I am also on the theory of if you get the random spread cheese early in the season you are poised to make a national tournament run. But I haven't seen a result yet.
7/26/2016 2:11 AM
Congrats on the win Ward!
7/26/2016 8:07 AM
Posted by kcsundevil on 7/26/2016 8:07:00 AM (view original):
Thanks its been a long time almost forgot what winning feels like!
7/26/2016 11:27 AM

I tend to play a more variable +/- than most coaches - it's not unusual for me to use everything between -5 and +4 in a season - and I'm pretty sure that a + defense DOES up your number of steals. But it's just a hunch, and I do use the press, so I was already high in steals and low in blocks.

Also, I play most Sims at a +2 or a +3.
7/26/2016 11:51 AM
Second that!! Now that you've gotten rid of that big anchor of a losing streak slowing you down and got your first win at Miles, there should be NO stopping you now Wardo! NT or PIT this season, what's your thinking?
7/26/2016 2:38 PM
Posted by emy1013 on 7/26/2016 2:38:00 PM (view original):
Second that!! Now that you've gotten rid of that big anchor of a losing streak slowing you down and got your first win at Miles, there should be NO stopping you now Wardo! NT or PIT this season, what's your thinking?
I'm thinking National tourney!!! Clark Atlanta is 0-4 with a 582 team I think I have enough data to beat them once! All I have to do is focus on Flordia Gulf Coast. I don't like my non conference schedule at all thought sigh. Going to change that next season though immediatley!
7/26/2016 3:00 PM
Go MILES!
7/26/2016 3:03 PM
Posted by CoachWard95 on 7/26/2016 3:00:00 PM (view original):
Posted by emy1013 on 7/26/2016 2:38:00 PM (view original):
I'm thinking National tourney!!! Clark Atlanta is 0-4 with a 582 team I think I have enough data to beat them once! All I have to do is focus on Flordia Gulf Coast. I don't like my non conference schedule at all thought sigh. Going to change that next season though immediatley!
Good luck!!! I think you're taking the right approach, one game at a time focusing only on your next opponent. That way you don't let yourself get distracted. Don't let yourself get caught up in what their team rating is though. If a team has a walk-on or maybe even more, their team average will be waaay down. Focus on your individual matchups. Exploit the ones you can and try your best not to get exploited when you don't have the advantage.
7/26/2016 3:58 PM
Posted by cornfused on 7/26/2016 11:51:00 AM (view original):

I tend to play a more variable +/- than most coaches - it's not unusual for me to use everything between -5 and +4 in a season - and I'm pretty sure that a + defense DOES up your number of steals. But it's just a hunch, and I do use the press, so I was already high in steals and low in blocks.

Also, I play most Sims at a +2 or a +3.
I tend to use the +/- a lot as well, although much less than I used to. I don't think I've ever gone up to +4, but a +2 is not out of the question and have found myself as high as +3 a couple times.
7/26/2016 7:05 PM
◂ Prev 123
Random game spread cheese Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.