Random game spread cheese Topic

Posted by darnoc29099 on 7/23/2016 2:53:00 PM (view original):
I know running (+1) or (+2) against sims was mentioned in another thread a few months back but man...I can't ever recall running a (+) defense against simmy. The vast majority of sims shoot 3's as 1/4-1/3 of their total shot selection, regardless of how good their players' PER ratings are. Running a (+) affects 3-pt shooting in two ways. First, the bigger impact is on the # of 3's the opponent will take (the more (+) the less 3's attempted). The 2nd (and smaller) result is the higher (+) you go the better you will defend against the 3-pt shot. If your team is good defensively then there's absolutely no reason to run (+) against a sim team. Personally, my goal is to have sims shoot as many 3's as possible because I know they aren't going to make very many of them.

In looking at my 4 teams that are roughly at least at the midway point of the season (they also happen to be the 4 teams that are in mostly or completely full conferences) they all give up between 30% and 32% from 3's and I don't think I've ran a (+) defense in a single game with any 4 of those teams. Point being if you're good defensively then that'll take care of the opponent shooting 3's more than running a (+) defense, AND you don't get hurt on the rebounding side.

In glancing at Ward's game, two things come to mind. First, the spread means absolutely nothing-don't even bother looking at it as it's just window dressing. Second, that Francis Marion team isn't very good and I think 10-18 from downtown was just back luck for Ward. Ward's team is average defensively but Francis Marion is far below average from PER, BH, P, and SP. Actually...the fact simmy was on the road that game and shot that well basically convinces me that result was more of an anomaly than anything.
That is what i'm saying darnoc29099 it happense every season and in the algorithem of the game there is bound to be a upset somewhere on your schedule! But it usually goes agains the spread 1 time and that's it.
7/23/2016 6:27 PM
I don't seem to notice this every season anomaly, and I think it's fair to say I've been around quite awhile. This sounds like more the norm for someone who went 0-54. You almost have to try to lose like that.

Some things to note:
-You have weak defenders at the guards spots. While I agree at the thought of going +1 against a strong 3 pt shooting team, I don't know if I would consider them strong enough to go +1, but maybe the results are saying otherwise. With that said your weak defenders allowed them the opportunity and for a sim, they have respectable speed, bh, pass, and per.

-Why were you running a slowdown? You don't have a lot of scoring options, but you have a significant Ath and overall defense advantage. You have the better team. Keep in mind, guys who are really athletic, but don't necessarily shoot well can draw fouls. Free throws have value. Forcing the opponent into foul trouble has value. I can see you running a slowdown through the season, but not against this team.

-I've never really looked hard at it, but I seem to remember something about plus defenses leading to more steals. Can someone confirm?
7/23/2016 7:10 PM
Posted by poncho0091 on 7/23/2016 7:10:00 PM (view original):
I don't seem to notice this every season anomaly, and I think it's fair to say I've been around quite awhile. This sounds like more the norm for someone who went 0-54. You almost have to try to lose like that.

Some things to note:
-You have weak defenders at the guards spots. While I agree at the thought of going +1 against a strong 3 pt shooting team, I don't know if I would consider them strong enough to go +1, but maybe the results are saying otherwise. With that said your weak defenders allowed them the opportunity and for a sim, they have respectable speed, bh, pass, and per.

-Why were you running a slowdown? You don't have a lot of scoring options, but you have a significant Ath and overall defense advantage. You have the better team. Keep in mind, guys who are really athletic, but don't necessarily shoot well can draw fouls. Free throws have value. Forcing the opponent into foul trouble has value. I can see you running a slowdown through the season, but not against this team.

-I've never really looked hard at it, but I seem to remember something about plus defenses leading to more steals. Can someone confirm?
Do you collect data on your games? It can happen anytime in any part of season it only happens once per season.
7/23/2016 7:20 PM
Posted by CoachWard95 on 7/23/2016 7:20:00 PM (view original):

Some things to note:

Do you collect data on your games? It can happen anytime in any part of season it only happens once per season.
What can happen? Are you saying WIS automatically makes you have a crappy game once a season? Think they do that for kicks and giggles?
7/23/2016 7:38 PM
Emy-I agree with just about everything you posted and definitely no offense taken. I think you summed it up nicely at the end of your first post in saying 'there are many strategies you can be successful with in this game.'

I also think I tend to undershoot on rebounding and overshoot on defense, so even though the (-) defense only helps rebounding a smidge (which I totally agree with you on that point, btw), I'll take every little bit of help I can get in that area.
7/23/2016 8:22 PM
Posted by cubcub113 on 7/23/2016 7:38:00 PM (view original):

Some things to note:

What can happen? Are you saying WIS automatically makes you have a crappy game once a season? Think they do that for kicks and giggles?
Its set in the algorithm. But somehow one game per season the spread is completly wrong and goes the utterly wrong way around happen to me the last 4 seasons well 5 now.. I haven't made it out yet but it happens to me once per season its preety devastating but i'm glad it happen to me the first game. I don't think they do it for the kicks and giggles.

In real life upsets are bound to happen once per season I say that is fair. So its not like they are doing it for the laughs& giggles. I say its more realistic.
7/23/2016 10:23 PM
Posted by CoachWard95 on 7/23/2016 10:23:00 PM (view original):

Some things to note:

Its set in the algorithm. But somehow one game per season the spread is completly wrong and goes the utterly wrong way around happen to me the last 4 seasons well 5 now.. I haven't made it out yet but it happens to me once per season its preety devastating but i'm glad it happen to me the first game. I don't think they do it for the kicks and giggles.

In real life upsets are bound to happen once per season I say that is fair. So its not like they are doing it for the laughs& giggles. I say its more realistic.
My recently old Elon team just had two straight undefeated regular seasons, so no that's not a thing. Your team just lost, no excuses.
7/23/2016 10:29 PM

Some things to note:

No Ward, this is not programmed as part of the game. You made basic coaching errors. That's why you lost, not some kind of conspiracy algorithm. You need to listen to less Alex Jones my friend, everything about life isn't a conspiracy.
7/23/2016 10:33 PM
Posted by MonsterTurtl on 7/23/2016 10:29:00 PM (view original):
Posted by CoachWard95 on 7/23/2016 10:23:00 PM (view original):

Some things to note:

My recently old Elon team just had two straight undefeated regular seasons, so no that's not a thing. Your team just lost, no excuses.
Actually, that's a question I'd like Ward to answer. If it's programmed to happen to everyone one time a season, how do you explain teams that go undefeated Ward? Answer? There IS nothing programmed into the code to make you suffer one upset a season. Again, you made some very basic mistakes. Again, people are trying to help you with ideas and advice. And again, you want to make every excuse in the world and argue about why it's not your fault, but the fault of a conspiring computer program. Do you see why people don't want to help you now? If you still don't get it, go stand in front of a mirror. Look into the mirror. What you're seeing is the reason people here don't want to help you. You're getting advice. Good advice. Quit fighting with people who know the game better than you do and start reading, listening, and understanding.

7/23/2016 10:42 PM (edited)
I would be shocked if there is a designed algorithm in the game that creates one upset for each team each season

Much more likely to be observed in hindsight as an artifact of the intended randomness of the engine
7/24/2016 1:00 AM
Posted by mullycj on 7/23/2016 3:55:00 PM (view original):
Im with you EMY. Defend the 3 with + defenses.
me too, i can't recall game planning against a sim and not playing a + setting in my entire career. i guess that should be taken with a grain of salt - if you are always a huge favorite, which even with a bad team i would expect to be, then defending the 3 goes up in importance because luck behind the arc plays a huge part in many upsets. so, i'm sure with a "hopefully i'll make the post season" type of team, there are sims where its not just about stopping the upset, and there, i could see playing a - in some cases. but in general, its definitely true that the sim approach to the game is to play a smaller group of players, to push those harder, and to take a lot of 3s. so typically a + setting is appropriate.
7/24/2016 1:48 PM
Posted by fd343ny on 7/24/2016 1:00:00 AM (view original):
I would be shocked if there is a designed algorithm in the game that creates one upset for each team each season

Much more likely to be observed in hindsight as an artifact of the intended randomness of the engine
agreed, there is basically 0 chance this exists as some have suggested.

i have wondered in the past if HCA is an absolute or if there is a random nature to its effect, which would be a game-wide effect. i never really resolved that but i think the admins generally take the lazy way out which probably means HCA is a fixed effect. the range of outcomes from home vs away conf games sometimes seems to swing so hard in the way you don't expect, that i started to wonder. seble has never ruled out game-wide random effects, but really, ANY game-wide random effect, regardless of whether it affected teams or specific players, of meaningful weight, would function similar to an "upset factor",. so i wouldn't 100% rule that out. but there is no upset factor persay in this game, that has been ruled out by both admins and even without their comments, i'd be 95% sure there was no such thing just from observation.
7/24/2016 1:55 PM
Posted by gillispie1 on 7/24/2016 1:55:00 PM (view original):
Posted by fd343ny on 7/24/2016 1:00:00 AM (view original):

agreed, there is basically 0 chance this exists as some have suggested.

i have wondered in the past if HCA is an absolute or if there is a random nature to its effect, which would be a game-wide effect. i never really resolved that but i think the admins generally take the lazy way out which probably means HCA is a fixed effect. the range of outcomes from home vs away conf games sometimes seems to swing so hard in the way you don't expect, that i started to wonder. seble has never ruled out game-wide random effects, but really, ANY game-wide random effect, regardless of whether it affected teams or specific players, of meaningful weight, would function similar to an "upset factor",. so i wouldn't 100% rule that out. but there is no upset factor persay in this game, that has been ruled out by both admins and even without their comments, i'd be 95% sure there was no such thing just from observation.
Yes, agreed. And contrary to what several people seem to think and a topic that pops up every season is that Sims do NOT play any differently during the CT then they do during the regular season. By playing different I mean that we go back to the code again and that there isn't something written in the code that causes a Sim to all of a sudden play out of it's "mind" and well above it's abilities during the conference tournament. Every year someone will get upset and immediately start a thread about a Sim CT conspiracy. No......just, no.

What you're more than likely seeing is a two pronged effect. Prong one is that CT's games are inherently more important, valuable, AND (very important) more noticeable. Coaches pay more attention and give more weight to those games than the same meeting during the regular season. Prong two is that coaches forget that while their team has improved, SO HAS THE SIM'S! Not just ratings (and those may be minimal considering the kind of players Sims usually recruit) but more importantly, the Sim has improved it's team and player's IQ's. Coaches that lose tend to only focus on how well "their" team has improved throughout the season and seem to often forget that Sim teams practice too.

Factor those few things in and THAT is why some coaches insist that there is a "CT upset" programmed into the engine. Sorry folks....it's just...not...there.
7/24/2016 2:21 PM (edited)

Some things to note:

Poncho, I think he was "probably" right in slowing it down, bad Sim or not. He's only got a ten man roster (no Wardo those two walk-ons really don't count) and SIX of those ten have stamina ratings in the 60's plus he's running a M2M so he's got that working against that bunch as well.

I may just be in the minority on this point but I think that with what he has to work with he's going to want to slow it down for most of the season or at least until some of his player's STA ratings improve. If he doesn't, he's going to need to invest in some backpacks and oxygen tanks because his team will look like they're a bunch of chain smokers by the end of each half (if not far sooner). And heaven help him if any of those guys get into foul trouble, he'd be doomed. Just my opinion, you're a very successful coach as well Poncho. To each their own I suppose, yes?
7/24/2016 2:39 PM
"-I've never really looked hard at it, but I seem to remember something about plus defenses leading to more steals. Can someone confirm?"

I have never heard about this or noticed it, Poncho.
7/24/2016 9:20 PM
◂ Prev 123 Next ▸
Random game spread cheese Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.