Posted by bad_luck on 7/27/2016 9:44:00 PM (view original):
Posted by sjpoker on 7/27/2016 9:24:00 PM (view original):
Posted by bad_luck on 7/27/2016 9:11:00 PM (view original):
Posted by sjpoker on 7/27/2016 9:02:00 PM (view original):
Posted by bad_luck on 7/27/2016 8:01:00 PM (view original):
Posted by sjpoker on 7/27/2016 7:14:00 PM (view original):
Posted by bad_luck on 7/27/2016 11:55:00 AM (view original):
Posted by MikeT23 on 7/27/2016 11:46:00 AM (view original):
If caffeine is great for lifting, I guess it's a Performance Enhancing Drug or PED for short.

So I guess all inductions were All PED inductions.
Pretty sure everyone (other than you) makes a distinction between an illegal PED (amphetamines, steroids) and a legal PED (caffeine, creatine).
Creatine is not a drug.
If you want to split hairs, it's a chemical your body already produces that can be ingested to increase performance. Like testosterone.
Yep. It's not a drug. Glad you acknowledge that. And you are the master hair-splitter here.
Would you consider HGH a drug?
Creatine is not a drug. That's all I said. I didn't challenge anything else you said. So that's as far as I'm going.

This discussion should have never gone beyond the point where I told you that I wasn't going to acknowledge your ridiculous comment. Doing so only would give you a platform for another one of your 'let me make a controversial comment so I can look smart' discussions.

Others were more than happy to oblige because they love to **** with you. So be it.
You're a weird dude.
You making that statement is pretty funny. Thats like RuPaul calling someone 'gay'.
7/28/2016 5:47 AM
Posted by dahsdebater on 7/27/2016 10:31:00 PM (view original):
Posted by all3 on 7/27/2016 5:40:00 PM (view original):
Posted by dahsdebater on 7/27/2016 5:21:00 PM (view original):
Posted by all3 on 7/27/2016 3:36:00 PM (view original):
Posted by wylie715 on 7/27/2016 2:15:00 PM (view original):
He was very good for a long time, but that does not make him hall of fame worthy.
Like Jeter.
There's a big difference between being very good for a long time as a 1B/OF and being very good for a long time at shortstop.
It's more difficult to last, but good is still only good.
I don't want "Sure he was only good, but he played a long time." in the HOF.
Of course, I don't want "He was great those couple years." in either.
I'm not going to claim there's any benchmark numbers for performance, longevity, or the combo, which does make the argument of who's in and who's out very subjective.
That subjectivity probably results in too many guys being admitted (in all sports).
It's not just more difficult to last. There also just aren't guys who can play MIF positions who ARE "best hitter in baseball" caliber bats. It's not a fair standard for HOF inclusion not because of some subjective feeling about what you should have to do at each position offensively for the HOF, but because objectively it's the only way you have MIF in the Hall.

I mean seriously, how many middle infielders, in the entire history of the sport, have been MVP-caliber bats for more than 1-2 seasons? Honus Wagner, Rogers Hornsby, Nap Lajoie, Joe Morgan, A-Rod, and Ripken. Maybe Arky Vaughan and Eddie Collins if you want to be generous in your definition of an MVP-caliber bat at a different position. So by this standard you have between 3 and 4 HOFers at each middle infield spot? I don't think many people want that. And if you're going to include any more guys beyond these, Jeter is comfortably in the next group. He OPSed over .850 6 times in his career. Go look how many shortstops in Major League history can say that.
Jeff Kent might be able to be added to that list.
7/28/2016 5:50 AM
How was Jeter a douche off the field?
7/28/2016 7:03 AM
Posted by MikeT23 on 7/28/2016 7:03:00 AM (view original):
How was Jeter a douche off the field?
I can't think of any examples myself, but he gave the impression of being a bit of a *****.
7/28/2016 10:01 AM
I know a guy who played a couple of ST with the Yanks. He said Jeter/Posada were great guys while ARod was everything he was made out to be. That's one guy but it's been reported many times.

Jeter was a whoremonger but I'm not sure we can fault him for that. Opportunity presented itself. He took it.
7/28/2016 10:06 AM
Calling Jeter an off field douche is pure opinion.

Speculation at best.
7/28/2016 10:19 AM
I'll never forget the time when a pop-up was hit to ARod at third base. He didn't even have to move - was camped right under it. Jeter kept drifting over, drifting over, drifting over. Finally bumped into ARod and the ball dropped, and Jeter just stood there on the field glaring at ARod like it was all Alex's fault. And that was in ARod's first or second year with the Yanks, when the fans really disliked him. Jeter only fanned those flames.

Regardless of how you feel about ARod (I'm definitely not a fan), that was pure ******** on the part of Jeter.
7/28/2016 11:53 AM
so, one example? I have no idea if Jeter is or was an ******* off the field. He never said anything other than clichés.
7/28/2016 11:56 AM
Posted by wylie715 on 7/28/2016 11:56:00 AM (view original):
so, one example? I have no idea if Jeter is or was an ******* off the field. He never said anything other than clichés.
Who CARES if he's a dick off the field. I don't.
7/28/2016 12:03 PM
Posted by Jtpsops on 7/28/2016 11:53:00 AM (view original):
I'll never forget the time when a pop-up was hit to ARod at third base. He didn't even have to move - was camped right under it. Jeter kept drifting over, drifting over, drifting over. Finally bumped into ARod and the ball dropped, and Jeter just stood there on the field glaring at ARod like it was all Alex's fault. And that was in ARod's first or second year with the Yanks, when the fans really disliked him. Jeter only fanned those flames.

Regardless of how you feel about ARod (I'm definitely not a fan), that was pure ******** on the part of Jeter.
That was the shortstop's ball, Jeter was calling it all the way. ARod needed to get out of the way, but he didn't. So it really was all ARod's fault.

What Jeter did wrong on the play was that after the ball was dropped and was lying on the ground (a LIVE ball with a runner on base), he just trotted back and left the ball on the ground. That was inexcusable.

But he still had every right to be ****** at ARod for not moving out of the way. Any ball that the shortstop can get to is the shortstop's ball. That's Baseball 101.
7/28/2016 12:13 PM
Any popup in BACK of the third baseman is the shortstop's ball. As soon as the 3B takes more than a step backwards, he can/should be called off by the SS. That "any ball you can reach" trope (aka, the Kelly Leak rule) is fine for Little League, but it doesn't really apply to MLB.
7/28/2016 12:20 PM
Posted by tecwrg on 7/28/2016 12:13:00 PM (view original):
Posted by Jtpsops on 7/28/2016 11:53:00 AM (view original):

That was the shortstop's ball, Jeter was calling it all the way. ARod needed to get out of the way, but he didn't. So it really was all ARod's fault.

What Jeter did wrong on the play was that after the ball was dropped and was lying on the ground (a LIVE ball with a runner on base), he just trotted back and left the ball on the ground. That was inexcusable.

But he still had every right to be ****** at ARod for not moving out of the way. Any ball that the shortstop can get to is the shortstop's ball. That's Baseball 101.
Yeah, I was going to say Jeter-hater jtpops recalled it incorrectly.

Jeter giving ARod the stink eye and walking away from a live ball was bush league but it was his ball. It was akin to a dog ******* on a bush to mark his territory. Still has nothing to do with Jeter being a douche off the field.
7/28/2016 12:25 PM
Posted by toddcommish on 7/28/2016 12:20:00 PM (view original):
Any popup in BACK of the third baseman is the shortstop's ball. As soon as the 3B takes more than a step backwards, he can/should be called off by the SS. That "any ball you can reach" trope (aka, the Kelly Leak rule) is fine for Little League, but it doesn't really apply to MLB.
Jeter's not looking at ARod to see where he is or if he's taking steps backwards. He's tracking the ball and drifting (not running) towards the ball and calling it all the way.

Plus the ball was far enough off of 3B into the SS area that it's absolutely the shortstop's ball. All day, every day. If he calls off the 3B, the 3B has to yield.
7/28/2016 12:50 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 7/28/2016 10:06:00 AM (view original):
I know a guy who played a couple of ST with the Yanks. He said Jeter/Posada were great guys while ARod was everything he was made out to be. That's one guy but it's been reported many times.

Jeter was a whoremonger but I'm not sure we can fault him for that. Opportunity presented itself. He took it.
This.

Repeatedly cheated on his girlfriends when he had them. Dick move.
7/28/2016 12:53 PM
Posted by sjpoker on 7/28/2016 5:50:00 AM (view original):
Posted by dahsdebater on 7/27/2016 10:31:00 PM (view original):
Posted by all3 on 7/27/2016 5:40:00 PM (view original):
Posted by dahsdebater on 7/27/2016 5:21:00 PM (view original):
Posted by all3 on 7/27/2016 3:36:00 PM (view original):
Posted by wylie715 on 7/27/2016 2:15:00 PM (view original):
He was very good for a long time, but that does not make him hall of fame worthy.
Like Jeter.
There's a big difference between being very good for a long time as a 1B/OF and being very good for a long time at shortstop.
It's more difficult to last, but good is still only good.
I don't want "Sure he was only good, but he played a long time." in the HOF.
Of course, I don't want "He was great those couple years." in either.
I'm not going to claim there's any benchmark numbers for performance, longevity, or the combo, which does make the argument of who's in and who's out very subjective.
That subjectivity probably results in too many guys being admitted (in all sports).
It's not just more difficult to last. There also just aren't guys who can play MIF positions who ARE "best hitter in baseball" caliber bats. It's not a fair standard for HOF inclusion not because of some subjective feeling about what you should have to do at each position offensively for the HOF, but because objectively it's the only way you have MIF in the Hall.

I mean seriously, how many middle infielders, in the entire history of the sport, have been MVP-caliber bats for more than 1-2 seasons? Honus Wagner, Rogers Hornsby, Nap Lajoie, Joe Morgan, A-Rod, and Ripken. Maybe Arky Vaughan and Eddie Collins if you want to be generous in your definition of an MVP-caliber bat at a different position. So by this standard you have between 3 and 4 HOFers at each middle infield spot? I don't think many people want that. And if you're going to include any more guys beyond these, Jeter is comfortably in the next group. He OPSed over .850 6 times in his career. Go look how many shortstops in Major League history can say that.
Jeff Kent might be able to be added to that list.
I considered it, actually. For the 5-year period from 1998-2002 he was a great bat. But there were still a number of better bats around at the time. You could put him on the list and I wouldn't argue. So that puts you at 9 MIF in the HOF? And if you're a fan for the 60 years between 1925 and 1985 you're still stuck with just Joe Morgan and maybe Arky Vaughan.
7/28/2016 12:57 PM
◂ Prev 1...10|11|12|13|14 Next ▸
All PED induction Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.