New coaches in Beta Testing Topic

Posted by chapelhillne on 7/25/2016 10:08:00 PM (view original):
Thanks Spud. So, all D2 recruits could be signed at the start of the second session?
That's correct, in theory. You have to act decisively, though, because any D1 that comes along can crush you if they want to and take the recruit relatively easily. You need to have quite a number of back-ups lined up in the first session because there is so much risk and uncertainty. In the last season with my D2 team I got four reasonably good D2 players so I knew I wouldn't get skunked, then lined up some D1 possibilities ... and landed three of them, all ranked at their position.

Recruiting at D2 is fraught with danger at every turn, but with so many ghost ships and so few humans it is still possible to pull in a decent class. Once there are more humans I fear that Seble has made D2 recruiting too restricted. Time will tell.
7/26/2016 12:34 AM
As usual, I'll disagree with Spud. Not sure what all the "danger" is.

In current recruiting, ever send out a few HVs to a recruit but at the same cycle, some other team that you know has way more money jumps on that same guy? Well kiss all that money goodbye, right?

Now you can spend some APs to get the kid to consider you without any risk to your budget. When you do spend your budget, you probably have a better idea if you're in a position of strength or weakness. So I think its kind of easier in that respect.

Basically recruiting a d2 guy at D3 means that he has a late signing preference. Recruits have preferences that determine when they will sign, by the way. Not really that big of a deal IMO.

Also, SIMs appear to be easy to beat. I got on a D1 guy while at D3 with only 1 opening. With only AP and promises I was ahead of 2 D1 sims. Thats too easy in my opinion.

I still say cap the levels. I see very little benefit and the risk that its going to really mess up the experience at lower levels is high. Sims are going to be completely neutered. Taking over a new team is going to be worse. Rebuilds are longer. I'm all ears to why this change makes D3 better but I haven't heard anything.
7/26/2016 6:02 AM
I never received the email... So I can't get a second try out team
7/26/2016 9:07 AM
I'm with Benis that levels need to be capped and this needs to be over with. This "anyone can recruit anyone!" idea was an interesting concept, but it flat out doesn't work and is going to rapidly ruin the game.
7/26/2016 9:22 AM
Posted by CoachSpud on 7/26/2016 12:34:00 AM (view original):
Posted by chapelhillne on 7/25/2016 10:08:00 PM (view original):
Thanks Spud. So, all D2 recruits could be signed at the start of the second session?
That's correct, in theory. You have to act decisively, though, because any D1 that comes along can crush you if they want to and take the recruit relatively easily. You need to have quite a number of back-ups lined up in the first session because there is so much risk and uncertainty. In the last season with my D2 team I got four reasonably good D2 players so I knew I wouldn't get skunked, then lined up some D1 possibilities ... and landed three of them, all ranked at their position.

Recruiting at D2 is fraught with danger at every turn, but with so many ghost ships and so few humans it is still possible to pull in a decent class. Once there are more humans I fear that Seble has made D2 recruiting too restricted. Time will tell.
In my last zeason at DII I got a guy with 100 SP, 94 PE and 74 BH. He should be able to score a good amount! (Not to mention 68 defense, 77 Pass, and 75 Ath).
7/26/2016 9:28 AM
I am sooooo lost on scouting. I feel like I am just wasting money and clicking on everything over and over and not really finding any useful players. After what seemed like 1000 clicks, I revealed some D1 elite guys I'll never get in a million years and a bunch of very sad players that I wouldn't put on a middle school team. Any guidance from anyone here, or is it best to just try and muddle through this until I "get it"?

(again apologies for posting here, I cannot post to the beta forum for whatever reason, even on the new account i made)
7/27/2016 4:04 PM
Posted by bathtubhippo on 7/27/2016 4:05:00 PM (view original):
I am sooooo lost on scouting. I feel like I am just wasting money and clicking on everything over and over and not really finding any useful players. After what seemed like 1000 clicks, I revealed some D1 elite guys I'll never get in a million years and a bunch of very sad players that I wouldn't put on a middle school team. Any guidance from anyone here, or is it best to just try and muddle through this until I "get it"?

(again apologies for posting here, I cannot post to the beta forum for whatever reason, even on the new account i made)
My advice you wont like....give it up, it is a mess and will get even worse. Sure the scouting is spread over weeks instead of days, recruiting in 2 cycles *which each need nearly constant attention, sorry folks this is a past time not even a Hobby in my life, and certainly not worth paying for any more.
7/27/2016 4:28 PM
holy crap I understood your post! but +1

but don't worry if you like clicking the same button for information that is just held behind barriers and then make recruiting mostly based on luck it's something you'll like.... don't bother trying to post it some people don't want to see that the beta sucks or don't care unfortunately
7/27/2016 4:35 PM
My advice in Div-1... I'm in New England at D prestige Holy Cross.

We're given a good size Scouting Budget.
I do FSS for each New England state, plus New Jersey and New York.

For New England and New Jersey, I filter to each state, click the check box on each recruit (there's like 10 recruits per state), then below that I click "Scout to Level 4" for each recruit. I don't mess around with each recruit and stop at Level 2 or Level 3... I just jump to Level 4 with each. [edit: a "select all" check box per state might be helpful here, and would eliminate 10 to 15 clicks]

For New York State, I hit the check boxes for the top 10 to 15 recruits (because it could get too expensive otherwise, unlike in smaller states like Connecticut), then down below I click "Scout to Level 4"... again, I don't worry or consider stopping at Level 3 for any of these recruits.

I costs maybe 15k to 20k for me to do this.

At this point, I'll have around 100 to 120 recruits, more or less, all with ratings and potential shown. Then I categorize the most promising recruits with the colored radio buttons. At a certain point, I'll browse the Top 100, though local kids in the Top-100 will already show via FSS-ing my local states (and going to Level 4). Also, I haven't used the Camp feature... I found FSS to be more valuable.

So, I guess there is a good amount of clicking, when I select each recruit using the check box arrow. At the same time, you have around 19 days to make these clicks. In Classic HD, I click on a lot of recruits to see their FT% number, which doesn't show under the "Ratings" filter.

Anyway, this would be my advice to you.

Also, as I noted in the edit up above, I think a "select all" check box per state in FSS would be helpful, which would work for my New England states.
7/27/2016 5:27 PM (edited)
Also, I have Classic HD teams in both Div-2 (in Hawaii) and Div-3 (in Connecticut), but I haven't tried the Beta at either level, so I can't provide suggestions on those 2 levels. I'm in my 4th Beta season in Div-1.
7/27/2016 5:31 PM
thanks for the advice. i'm happy to hear more if others have it, especially geared towards lower divisions. I'm trying to go into this with an open mind. some of it i think will be better once i have a sense of which recruits are not going to be wasted on a D3 team, so i can root them out and not waste money. is there a way to organize the recruits you're actually interested in, or is it always a giant mass of everybody you scouted using whatever method you used? sorry if these questions are dumb....i'm just kind of lost in here.

my initial reaction is that some of the criticism of the scouting process i've read is extremely valid--lots of time, lots of clicking, and lots of crowded numbers and attributes that make this a little too complex for the average user. my fear is that with preferences being more important than distance is that scouting is going to be incredibly time consuming and rather tedious to find players in general. right now i cannot see how this type of scouting will appeal to bringing in potential new players. it's kind of overwhelming.
7/27/2016 6:08 PM
Hippo...

So from what i can tell...

Once you scout states via FSS (assuming you scouted to Level 4 for each guy), to see the recruits at a later date, you click on the "Recruiting" dropdown, then "Recruit Pool".
Filter it per state or distance, but in this case do it by state (say Connecticut in this example).
Browse the player list... based on 3 pick-boxes (just above player list), you can view the players by "General", by "Ratings", or by "Preferences".
For guys you like, click on them, then click on 1 of 4 colored radio buttons to categorize them by talent or whatever.
Assume u do that for 8 guys from Connecticut, then 14 from Mass, and 6 from Rhode Island, for the time being. So 28 guys are "categorized".

From then on, the list of guys you like will be under the "Recruiting" dropdown, under "Home".
When you go here, categorized guys from each state will be listed together with the heading "Targets". They will have been "ranked" by you in 4 colors via the radio button on each player's page (when you browsed each state).
Anyway, on this master list of your targets, you again can view them by General, Ratings or Preferences.

Additionally, there are 3 other headings once recruiting (contact) begins (so these 3 headings are useless til Gameslot #20 when contact with players begins), which will list players that (1) have been contacted in any form during recruiting, (2) currently have attention points, or (3) list them just by your individualized colored radio button ranking.

Anyway, I hope this helps!

There are other areas to explore, but for now that's the basic layout and navigation.
7/27/2016 6:43 PM
Ok this is cool... on the page listing recruits per state, the colored radio button is also to the left of the guys' names, and can be selected there. This eliminates the need to open each recruit that you want to target...
7/27/2016 6:49 PM
you can also use the assistant coach to scout the players you already have on your list. One click can do 25 guys at a time.
If you plan on scouting a majority of the players you scouted, the $70 per player for the assistant coach search saves you $30-$80 for recruits within 200 miles.
7/27/2016 9:39 PM
" Not sure what all the "danger" is. "

LOL. (1) D1's can kill D2/D3's any time they want. D2/D3's better understand why a turtle doesn't stick its head out.
(2) Seble is making rule after rule to make it even worse, because evidently long-term coaches need so much protection from new coaches.
(3) It continues to get worse. Note in this very thread ... "I still say cap the levels." "... levels need to be capped and this needs to be over with..." There is no amount of protection that will satisfy some people. I hope they leave all the lights on in their houses because they seem to be afraid of their own shadows.

" it flat out doesn't work and is going to rapidly ruin the game " More LOL. Fine theory, but in fact a lower team getting a great player has never ruined the game and shows no sign of doing so now ... but watch out, there's a shadow!!!
7/27/2016 10:35 PM (edited)
◂ Prev 12345 Next ▸
New coaches in Beta Testing Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.