Random Game Spread Cheese--The new version Topic

Posted by gillispie1 on 7/26/2016 9:24:00 PM (view original):
Posted by cubcub113 on 7/26/2016 6:31:00 PM (view original):
There is this team that in my time ive been at U of Indianapolis I just cant beat! I have been better than them every season in RPI (not 1 actually, 135 to 134 who cares though) and I am 3-6 against them 2 of those wins in the UMSL 5-22 season. Is this just random game spread cheese or is there something about the zone that hurts teams like mine? Until this year, I have also been bad against Emy's zone team Ky Wes and am a total 2-8 with the two wins being this year mainly because Ky Wes couldn't buy a three! My best guess is the type of scorers on my team (Ath+BH guys like this, this and this along with elite LP guys like this, this, this, this and this) have a tough time scoring against the 2-3 zone these teams utilize. Or maybe it is just random game spread cheese.
i am not familiar with your teams, and only have this season to review. but, i don't really have to look, to ask you the one simple question that matters. do you take a lot of 3s - is your offense heavily 3 point dependent or heavily 2 point dependent, or neither?

if your answer is: i don't really build around 3 point scoring, i might have 1 prolific 3 point scorer on a team but mostly i focus on lp or 2 point shooting guards - then yes. the 2-3 zone is the best 2 point defense and the worst 3 point defense in the game. that wouldn't explain a huge spread, but it is a real, meaningful factor.

if your answer is anything else, then no, its random.

edit: i guess you answered that ? pretty clearly in your post, so the answer is yes - no need to answer - consider it rhetorical. but, i was trying to answer the question for the universe of teams, i often try to answer specific questions generally so the answer is useful to more than the OP.
This year, for the first time in a while, I have two real 3PT shooters on my team: Potter and Williams (and a much better team defense) and voila, 2-0 vs Emy and a 16 point win vs UMSL!
7/27/2016 8:45 AM
Posted by CoachWard95 on 7/26/2016 9:20:00 PM (view original):
Posted by gillispie1 on 7/26/2016 9:14:00 PM (view original):
Posted by CoachWard95 on 7/26/2016 6:46:00 PM (view original):
There is this team that in my time ive been at U of Indianapolis I just cant beat! I have been better than them every season in RPI (not 1 actually, 135 to 134 who cares though) and I am 3-6 against them 2 of those wins in the UMSL 5-22 season. Is this just random game spread cheese or is there something about the zone that hurts teams like mine? Until this year, I have also been bad against Emy's zone team Ky Wes and am a total 2-8 with the two wins being this year mainly because Ky Wes couldn't buy a three! My best guess is the type of scorers on my team (Ath+BH guys like this, this and this along with elite LP guys like this, this, this, this and this) have a tough time scoring against the 2-3 zone these teams utilize. Or maybe it is just random game spread cheese.
I'm testing a new theory I have in mind. If you get the random game spread cheese early then you are poised to be in the post season. If you get the random spread cheese late then you are a bust in the post season.
frankly, you would have to observe this for 100 seasons to draw a conclusion, and you've played what, like 5? i'll save you 5 years of waiting - the answer is no. there is no built-in random game spread cheese, just bad sets of dice rolls that occur naturally.

here's something similar you could use instead: if you get your horrible set of dice rolls in the regular season, rejoice! because even though it has no impact on your odds of getting it in the post season - if you only get 1 that season, then you didn't get it in the post season, and that is far, far better than getting your horrible dice rolls in the post season, when it really counts.
I would think 4 seasons would cover a conclusion! So you admit that there is a random spread dice roll but you say there isn't a built in algorithem that dictates your faith in the post season? I can find a random spread game in every schedule. Heck I found one today earlier gameplaning for a future team.
You are just so wrong! No! There is nothing like this! A bunch of RNGs just don't go your way, just like sometimes in real basketball.
7/27/2016 8:46 AM
Posted by emy1013 on 7/26/2016 9:56:00 PM (view original):
I'm just spit balling here but the KY Wesleyan problem/bad record thing could maybe, might be just a little bit because Emy is a halfway decent coach in his own right and someone who "usually" keeps a pretty solid roster from year to year. Might not have ANY connection to it at all though, like I said I'm just tossing ideas out there (wink, wink).
Youre way better than me! Previously, though, I shouldn't have gone maybe 0-8. Maybe 1-7 or if I was lucky 2-6. Frankly, both of my wins this year don't really count because you just couldn't make a three. This thread is mostly about UMSL.
7/27/2016 8:49 AM
Posted by cubcub113 on 7/27/2016 8:49:00 AM (view original):
I'm just spit balling here but the KY Wesleyan problem/bad record thing could maybe, might be just a little bit because Emy is a halfway decent coach in his own right and someone who "usually" keeps a pretty solid roster from year to year. Might not have ANY connection to it at all though, like I said I'm just tossing ideas out there (wink, wink).
Youre way better than me! Previously, though, I shouldn't have gone maybe 0-8. Maybe 1-7 or if I was lucky 2-6. Frankly, both of my wins this year don't really count because you just couldn't make a three. This thread is mostly about UMSL.
I'm just messing around with you Cub. You are obviously picking this game up very quickly, I don't think there's any doubt about that. Once you start fine tuning your teams you'll be a very tough coach to beat!
7/27/2016 9:02 PM
Posted by emy1013 on 7/27/2016 9:02:00 PM (view original):
Posted by cubcub113 on 7/27/2016 8:49:00 AM (view original):
I'm just messing around with you Cub. You are obviously picking this game up very quickly, I don't think there's any doubt about that. Once you start fine tuning your teams you'll be a very tough coach to beat!
;)
7/28/2016 8:09 AM
◂ Prev 12
Random Game Spread Cheese--The new version Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.