Ranked Losing Teams? Topic

I was just browsing the top 25 rankings for each of the divisions in my league (Stagg) and noticed that an 0-5 Rutgers team is ranked 16th in the coaches poll seemingly because they have the #1 strength of schedule. This is inexcusable! At no time in reality would we ever see this. Fix please!
7/27/2016 3:01 PM
Also ranked #17 by the press and #21 by WIS. That's just ridiculous. As a person who has played/tried many different text/sim games for many different sports I can tell you that one of the biggest differences between good and bad games is the ability to make the game fun while keeping it grounded in reality. I have quit playing certain baseball games because teams were able to win 140 games in a 162 game season or field all players with 40 homeruns.

I can stomach the inaccurate conferences and the few different teams playing at the wrong level to an extent, but to me this is completely unrealistic and really takes away from my enjoyment of the game. So it's better to load up on tough opponents than to try to win games? Aren't they both important? I think the scale is tipped a bit too far in one direction. I will be following the progress of this Rutgers squad this season. I hope they don't lose two more games because they will then be ineligible to go to a bowl game. Ahh, but they will probably still be ranked so they could gripe about that.
7/27/2016 3:14 PM
Good hell. You've played a total of five games and you're already complaining.

This game is fun...but it has quirks. Learn the quirks before you complain. One of those quirks is that the week 4-6 rankings aren't very accurate. They *generally* even out by week 13.

On another note, I went and looked at that Rutgers squad...I'm glad they're ranked 25th. bigdino didn't pull an Iowa...he actually scheduled big boy opponents, and he's still in the midst of building Rutgers. Every one of his non-conference opponents played in a BCS game last season, and one won the championship. I would much rather play a game that rewards tough non-conference schedules versus a team that schedules cake.

I don't typically call out new coaches like this but you've seriously been here for two weeks and you're voicing a complaint about mid-season rankings? Come on.
7/27/2016 3:46 PM
Bloody hell.....

Pull an Iowa. LOL!!!
7/27/2016 4:01 PM
I Think you're not being rational MWThompson. Back in the BCS I'm pretty sure quite a few losing record teams were ranked in the BCS rankings early on. Having a strong SOS means something. For what its worth, we played that Rutgers team in an EX game and they are tough. Not anywhere close to a rebuild though, 68-20 over six seasons with a NC showing. They got talent but have played a dog of a schedule.
7/27/2016 5:03 PM
0-5 is more than just a losing record, tampa...er, leroy. I agree with cj, though. Through the first half of the season, the rankings often do not make sense. But by the time we get to week 10 or so, the ranking picture starts to become much clearer.
7/27/2016 6:58 PM
MW...

Breathe. Deep zen like breaths. The Sim ranks SOS much higher early. As the W and Ls pile up, you will see that wins become more of a factor. Enjoy this game. The folks on here are very good people willing to explain things, if you have questions or comments. Just wait until an elite team takes your green recruit on the last day and you are left with a starting corner who couldn't play D2. If you want to get really ****** off, come to Wilkinson where the big dogs play. That will put some hair on your chest.

Go in peace.

Dalai Lama
7/27/2016 8:00 PM
dalailama12 , What is the meaning of life ?
7/31/2016 5:24 PM
Ranked Losing Teams? Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.