Posted by CoachSpud on 7/30/2016 11:54:00 AM (view original):
Posted by poncho2799 on 7/30/2016 4:24:00 AM (view original):
Posted by CoachSpud on 7/29/2016 12:34:00 AM (view original):
"What do you feel is untrue about it?" Everything after "A-A-F-C."

Here's something else that is untrue: "who to scout based on level 1 info ... that's precisely the position pretty much every coach is going to find themselves in." At D3 and D2 I have never yet found myself in that position, and I doubt anyone else has, either, considering that a hosted camp gets you level 2 info all by itself and FSS adds a level, cheaply.

You did notice he stressed that the formula he uses is proprietary? Don't expect him to turn up every card. You'll have better luck demanding the secret sauce recipe from McDonald's.
This is a horribly inaccurate statement as the random camp guys I get tend to be crap or way over my league. I'd rather not settle on a mediocre player simply because he was the best available scrub that the camps provided me that I had a realistic shot at.
My statement is accurate and your statement doesn't relate to it. Guys aren't going to have to make decisions based on level 1 info, it's just that simple. We don't have to now and won't have to in the future.

But I agree with your criticism of the selection of players for the "public camps." Elsewhere I saw a suggestion that the selection be tightened up based on preference match, an excellent suggestion. As you point out, it would also help if not so many players were too high or too low to be in the range you're looking for.
Again, you're wrong. The camps do get you to level 2, maybe even level 3, but that's only useful if you are uncovering all good recruits. Instead, most of those guys are trash, and I am at the mercy of what players are randomly selected for my camps. So your original statement is that you doubt any coach has found themselves in a position to scout based on level 1 info, but I'm telling you, it's going to happen a lot more than you think, unless coaches are willing to settle for the mediocre players uncovered by their camps. So my statement relates to it just fine.
7/30/2016 4:00 PM
Posted by viva_il_re on 7/30/2016 1:25:00 PM (view original):
Posted by joco45215 on 7/29/2016 2:24:00 PM (view original):
Finkle is Einhorn........
Einhorn is Finkle........

seble is TheOnlyis's..........

TheOnlyis's is Seble!!!!!!!
if this were true I'd be the biggest troll of all time
Man he rides seble hard. Just thought why? And then my inner pet detective hit
7/30/2016 4:35 PM
This post has a rating of , which is below the default threshold.
Posted by chapelhillne on 7/28/2016 10:47:00 PM (view original):
Posted by the0nlyis on 7/28/2016 10:12:00 PM (view original):
please explain how the game is more strategic I would really love to know how.....

also "most" of the what 120 coaches you have and the 10 you have posting? so diverse, I think more teams have been dropped than there are beta coaches participating.....

but really I'd prefer to hear how the game is more strategic and not just some shot in the dark lucky signing game because thats pretty much the last thing that maybe has a chance of changing, but why bother getting my hopes up, but hey if it really is more strategic I'd be more excited to give it a shot....
These are just off the top of my head.

Because recruiting is not just a glorified auction anymore.

You recruit with attention points which have not cost, which you can move around each cycle. Since there is a max of 20 HVs per school on a recruit, by using the APs wisely you can beat out a higher prestige school for a prospect.

You have to take into account the preferences of a recruit.

If you want a guy bad enough, and he wants playing time, you will promise minutes early because you get a multiplier on future recruiting actions.

There are only 5 CVs that a player will take, so you want to be sure to be one of the 5 teams that he will take a CV from.

You want to line up backup options, because virtually every player has multiple schools interested in him.

You have to decide if you want to go all in on a player that will sign early, or decide to try to build up credit on a late signer, so that you can beat out teams with higher prestige that will be trying to beat you for him later.

Distance is not so much of a factor in recruiting, so you can recruit at a greater distance. You can go after A player that wants to play far from home and have a good shot at him.

These are just some of the things that I like about it. I like a new challenge. I think that this game has more variables and more ways to win players.

Here's another thing I like. With my Oklahoma A+ team in the current HD I had 3 openings. In the first cycle I went soft after 6 players. Three of them were considering only me at 8 PM. The rest of recruiting no one challenged me because I was an A+ on close players and no one thought they could beat me because I could outspend them. This happens frequently in D1 - the top teams never get challenged. People are afraid to battle because they look weak. And a good coach will calculate how much money the other guy has and not battle if they think they might lose. In Beta, even if you were battling for every player, you are not necessarily weak because of the 20 HV limit. As long as you can at least do the 20 HV, you can use your attention points and preferences to win battles.

One strategy I used in the last Beta season was to hold back my home visits. I had a C+ prestige and was battling for a 5 star recruit. The recruit was going to sign late, so most teams were after the players that would sign early. I used all of my attention points almost every cycle on this guy so that I was one of the top teams, but I believe other teams probably thought I was using HVs to stay in the battle. At the beginning of the second recruiting session, I did my remaining 13 HVs and the player signed. If this was the current game, an A+ school would have probably come along at signing and done 300 HVs on the player. That can't happen here.

It's really unlikely that the top teams will pull off classes with every player being a super stud. lThere's too much competition. Teams like Stanford won battles for elite players in New York. It's a whole new challenge. The current game is a lot of fun to me, but it's not as much of a challenge as it was when I first started playing. I think that Beta will remain challenging to me because of all of the variables.
This is an informative post by Chapel, and an entertaining thread, from back in around 2016- 2017.
11/13/2023 11:23 AM
Thanks - I had kind of forgotten how you used to be able to do hundreds of HVs on a player back in the day. I really do like this version of the game a lot better, still.
11/17/2023 10:45 PM
Posted by chapelhillne on 11/17/2023 10:45:00 PM (view original):
Thanks - I had kind of forgotten how you used to be able to do hundreds of HVs on a player back in the day. I really do like this version of the game a lot better, still.
agreed. sad that it doesn't show up positively in the world populations but i'll enjoy it while we have it. every time i encounter a bug or the site doesn't load, i wonder if the whole thing is about to come crashing down
11/18/2023 4:28 PM
◂ Prev 123

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.