"...but does it matter if I have first hand experience or not for some of the stuff I say?..." - the0nly.

Just my opinion, but yes, I would think it's a pretty important factor, especially if you're going off on daily expletive-laced out-of-control rants. Same with EE's and Old Recruit Generation.

Some of your recommendations have been good and might be added to Beta, such as a preference based on academics and Team GPA.
7/29/2016 1:02 AM (edited)
Also, i liked the0nlyis's youtube videos on scheduling.
Amazing and pretty funny that such a soft-spoken helpful guy in the videos can turn into a hybrid of Sam Kennison and Andrew Dice Clay in these forums.
7/29/2016 1:12 AM
Posted by the0nlyis on 7/29/2016 1:16:00 AM (view original):
Posted by npb7768 on 7/29/2016 1:12:00 AM (view original):
Amazing and pretty funny that such a soft-spoken helpful guy in the videos can turn into a hybrid of Sam Kennison and Andrew Dice Clay in these forums.
well yes some of us really ******* liked the game and wanted to help as many people out, but seble decided the untapped market of potential future coaches and gambling addicted lackeys was more important they get pretty ****** off.....
You know, a musician without his instrument is as bad as a shoemaker without a toilet seat...
7/29/2016 1:41 AM
Posted by npb7768 on 7/29/2016 1:12:00 AM (view original):
Andrew Dice Clay and Sam Kennison...now THAT would have been a crazy a$$ night of comedy and one hell of an after-party!
7/29/2016 2:29 AM
"Saying that you shouldn't really decide who to scout based on level 1 info is kind of silly considering that's precisely the position pretty much every coach is going to find themselves in. I mean, what else is a fella to do with his scouting dollars -- waste them on the clearly bad guys that they were lucky enough to get Level 2/3 info on via camps? "

I use the directed asst coach camps alot for $70 a recruit.

I think using the individual scouting option on level one guys is the worst option and only use it as a last resort.
7/29/2016 8:43 AM (edited)
Posted by Trentonjoe on 7/29/2016 8:43:00 AM (view original):
"Saying that you shouldn't really decide who to scout based on level 1 info is kind of silly considering that's precisely the position pretty much every coach is going to find themselves in. I mean, what else is a fella to do with his scouting dollars -- waste them on the clearly bad guys that they were lucky enough to get Level 2/3 info on via camps? "

I think using the individual scouting option on level one guys is the worst option and only use it as a last resort.
That's smart.

I just wonder if the individual scouting option should be so weak.
7/29/2016 12:26 PM
Finkle is Einhorn........
Einhorn is Finkle........

seble is TheOnlyis's..........

TheOnlyis's is Seble!!!!!!!
7/29/2016 2:24 PM
Posted by Trentonjoe on 7/29/2016 8:43:00 AM (view original):

Hmm...that's true, I haven't circled back to try the assistant coach option since it got tweaked and you can set distance and level parameters on it.
7/29/2016 6:43 PM
Posted by CoachSpud on 7/29/2016 12:34:00 AM (view original):
"What do you feel is untrue about it?" Everything after "A-A-F-C."

Here's something else that is untrue: "who to scout based on level 1 info ... that's precisely the position pretty much every coach is going to find themselves in." At D3 and D2 I have never yet found myself in that position, and I doubt anyone else has, either, considering that a hosted camp gets you level 2 info all by itself and FSS adds a level, cheaply.

You did notice he stressed that the formula he uses is proprietary? Don't expect him to turn up every card. You'll have better luck demanding the secret sauce recipe from McDonald's.
This is a horribly inaccurate statement as the random camp guys I get tend to be crap or way over my league. I'd rather not settle on a mediocre player simply because he was the best available scrub that the camps provided me that I had a realistic shot at.
7/30/2016 4:24 AM
My main goal with the camps is to get as many players up to level 2 as possible so I can start to eliminate them. The first thing I do is scout all of the states near me. But to me, level 1 is useless, except for eliminating the F WE guys. Otherwise everything is to vague because it is combined. but the camp gets a lot of people to level 2 or level 3, and adds a few players from farther distances.. I think that it is an efficient way to get a lot of information. - Just my 2 cents.
7/30/2016 7:45 AM
By this I mean hosted camps. I suppose the other camps do this as well, but I have not used them in the last few years because the New York camp has been D rated players, and I am not after that kind of player with my D1 team.
7/30/2016 7:47 AM
I keep posting this, sorry for the repeat, but this is my current SOP:

1. FSS a whole bunch of local states (discovered 200 or so guys).
2. Ran a private camp (discovered a few more but got level 3 on a bunch).
3. Evaluated those player scouted a few more to get to level 4.
4. Went to bed.
5. Two days later, sent a *** coach out looking for only discovered players (moved 30 or so guys from level 1 to 2)
6. Evaluated those guys scouted some to 3 and some to 4.
7. Went to bed.
I plan on doing this a few more times over the coming weeks.
I spend about 20 minutes a night tinkering with players.”
7/30/2016 8:51 AM
Posted by poncho2799 on 7/30/2016 4:24:00 AM (view original):
Posted by CoachSpud on 7/29/2016 12:34:00 AM (view original):
"What do you feel is untrue about it?" Everything after "A-A-F-C."

Here's something else that is untrue: "who to scout based on level 1 info ... that's precisely the position pretty much every coach is going to find themselves in." At D3 and D2 I have never yet found myself in that position, and I doubt anyone else has, either, considering that a hosted camp gets you level 2 info all by itself and FSS adds a level, cheaply.

You did notice he stressed that the formula he uses is proprietary? Don't expect him to turn up every card. You'll have better luck demanding the secret sauce recipe from McDonald's.
This is a horribly inaccurate statement as the random camp guys I get tend to be crap or way over my league. I'd rather not settle on a mediocre player simply because he was the best available scrub that the camps provided me that I had a realistic shot at.
My statement is accurate and your statement doesn't relate to it. Guys aren't going to have to make decisions based on level 1 info, it's just that simple. We don't have to now and won't have to in the future.

But I agree with your criticism of the selection of players for the "public camps." Elsewhere I saw a suggestion that the selection be tightened up based on preference match, an excellent suggestion. As you point out, it would also help if not so many players were too high or too low to be in the range you're looking for.
7/30/2016 11:54 AM (edited)
Posted by joco45215 on 7/29/2016 2:24:00 PM (view original):
Finkle is Einhorn........
Einhorn is Finkle........

seble is TheOnlyis's..........

TheOnlyis's is Seble!!!!!!!
if this were true I'd be the biggest troll of all time
7/30/2016 1:25 PM
Posted by Trentonjoe on 7/30/2016 8:51:00 AM (view original):
I keep posting this, sorry for the repeat, but this is my current SOP:

1. FSS a whole bunch of local states (discovered 200 or so guys).
2. Ran a private camp (discovered a few more but got level 3 on a bunch).
3. Evaluated those player scouted a few more to get to level 4.
4. Went to bed.
5. Two days later, sent a *** coach out looking for only discovered players (moved 30 or so guys from level 1 to 2)
6. Evaluated those guys scouted some to 3 and some to 4.
7. Went to bed.
I plan on doing this a few more times over the coming weeks.
I spend about 20 minutes a night tinkering with players.”
Good procedure TJ -- how many guys would you estimate you fully scout to Level 4 using thet procedure (that you actually would consider pursuing, not the scrubs who, through random chance, get to Level 4 because they were FSS'd, came to your private camp and your assistant stumbled across them).
7/30/2016 1:25 PM
◂ Prev 123 Next ▸

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.