This post has a rating of , which is below the default threshold.
English isn't your first language, is it?
7/28/2016 7:14 PM
Posted by CoachSpud on 7/28/2016 7:14:00 PM (view original):
English isn't your first language, is it?
#YouGotSpudded!
7/28/2016 7:29 PM
seble

Changed the way that preferences affect recruiting actions to lessen the impact of multiple good or bad matches.

Adjusted signing odds to give the leading team a little bit higher odds.

Totally luck based, doesn't listen, blah blah blah
7/28/2016 7:31 PM
You know. The beta isn't by any means perfect but it is getting better!
7/28/2016 7:57 PM
Cub, you don't get it. It isn't exactly what Only wanted so its shifty and swble is stoopid.
7/28/2016 8:07 PM
Posted by the0nlyis on 7/28/2016 8:41:00 PM (view original):
Posted by Trentonjoe on 7/28/2016 8:07:00 PM (view original):
Cub, you don't get it. It isn't exactly what Only wanted so its shifty and swble is stoopid.
yes exactly what i wanted I think we gave up on that idea the second we heard of the updates lol, I just would prefer a non extensive recruiting that was heavily luck based and less strategy requirement, I accepted 2 recruiting periods even though they were dumb, accepted the stupid letter grades.... but yes I just want it to be everything I said, if I wanted that I would've quit long ago because it's like comparing Bernie to Erdogan, I've accepted we are getting something like Trump or Hillary but seble wants to implement Erdogan.... you're ******* clueless tj, if you actually paid attention to the things I wrote it might make sense where I have attempted to combine idea's but no I am demanding the same exact thing I've been asking for since day 1 if I was I'd still be freaking out about 2 seperate recruiter periods, but guess what your dumb ******* *** doesn't realize I gave up on that months ago, but you just want a game where dices are rolled, maybe you would have some more NC and not be the bridesmaid every single season lol.... Oh and I'm not tarvolon witch hunting super classes because he didn't like being in the same division as dave/twiddle playing other superclass teams.... or those freaking out about 4 coaches manipulating walkons..... tj you are about as competent as ******* spud, heck spud might even pick up on more stuff than you lol... go suck a dick with chapel, I'm sure they have room in the beta circle jerk
Uncalled for Only. Breathe a little. You do not like BETA, we know. But quit talking about it. It's started. Live with it.
7/28/2016 8:44 PM
We are not stupid Only. We are just knowing it will happen. So we are trying to provide constructive ideas to better what's been put into place. Work is not done, BETA is not ready. It won't be as we see it right now. And luck has been toned down. The product has been getting better every season. It will be different. If I do not like it, I will have the choice to stop playing. If I do like it, I will continue on.

7/28/2016 8:56 PM
I like the Beta a lot more than the current game. I believe that the changes have made it more interesting and strategic. The beta is going to happen. We are all working on making it really good. There's no point in all of the negativity. Most off the coaches that are involved in the Beta seem to like it. It is constantly improving.
7/28/2016 10:00 PM
How and who to scout requires thought. There are plenty more options than in the current game. How can I discover the most players? How can I move them up scouting levels without spending to much? Who is worth scouting using the expensive features.

In recruiting, it's about taking chances. It is no longer I have more scholarships than that guy, I can win. At the lower levels it's about who you can land after the players drop, at the upper levels it's about finding player that fit your team so you can compete with the big boys.
7/28/2016 10:16 PM (edited)
"With the level system it's oh do I further scout the first B guy or the 2nd B guy when 1 guy is C-B-B-C and the 2nd guy is A-A-F-C, oh sorry you don't have the budget to scout both because we decided not to let you guys have the budget to get both oh and the camp you signed up for had 3 B guys and 15 D guys and 2 F guys, where as the camps other coaches near you have 14 B 5 C 2 D even though you have a higher prestige. "

That statement is pretty much untrue. You shouldn't really decide to scout based on level 1 info, although you can, there are ways (cheaper ways) to make more informed decisions. And you have the budget to scout way more than 2 people. I have 28 guys scouted to level 4 and 38 at level 3. I am not convinced that is enough but it's in the ballpark.

Ian, you aren't playing the beta you don't have a real good handle on the game. I am sure you think you do but many of the gross generalizations you make are just that.

In response to your claim I don't provide constructive criticism, well maybe I don't do enough. What I do is be a part of discussion an provide data for them. If I have a suggestion, I make it but at this point I am trying to figure out how the game works and not talking to much about what I want it to do.
7/28/2016 10:42 PM
Posted by the0nlyis on 7/28/2016 10:12:00 PM (view original):
please explain how the game is more strategic I would really love to know how.....

also "most" of the what 120 coaches you have and the 10 you have posting? so diverse, I think more teams have been dropped than there are beta coaches participating.....

but really I'd prefer to hear how the game is more strategic and not just some shot in the dark lucky signing game because thats pretty much the last thing that maybe has a chance of changing, but why bother getting my hopes up, but hey if it really is more strategic I'd be more excited to give it a shot....
These are just off the top of my head.

Because recruiting is not just a glorified auction anymore.

You recruit with attention points which have not cost, which you can move around each cycle. Since there is a max of 20 HVs per school on a recruit, by using the APs wisely you can beat out a higher prestige school for a prospect.

You have to take into account the preferences of a recruit.

If you want a guy bad enough, and he wants playing time, you will promise minutes early because you get a multiplier on future recruiting actions.

There are only 5 CVs that a player will take, so you want to be sure to be one of the 5 teams that he will take a CV from.

You want to line up backup options, because virtually every player has multiple schools interested in him.

You have to decide if you want to go all in on a player that will sign early, or decide to try to build up credit on a late signer, so that you can beat out teams with higher prestige that will be trying to beat you for him later.

Distance is not so much of a factor in recruiting, so you can recruit at a greater distance. You can go after A player that wants to play far from home and have a good shot at him.

These are just some of the things that I like about it. I like a new challenge. I think that this game has more variables and more ways to win players.

Here's another thing I like. With my Oklahoma A+ team in the current HD I had 3 openings. In the first cycle I went soft after 6 players. Three of them were considering only me at 8 PM. The rest of recruiting no one challenged me because I was an A+ on close players and no one thought they could beat me because I could outspend them. This happens frequently in D1 - the top teams never get challenged. People are afraid to battle because they look weak. And a good coach will calculate how much money the other guy has and not battle if they think they might lose. In Beta, even if you were battling for every player, you are not necessarily weak because of the 20 HV limit. As long as you can at least do the 20 HV, you can use your attention points and preferences to win battles.

One strategy I used in the last Beta season was to hold back my home visits. I had a C+ prestige and was battling for a 5 star recruit. The recruit was going to sign late, so most teams were after the players that would sign early. I used all of my attention points almost every cycle on this guy so that I was one of the top teams, but I believe other teams probably thought I was using HVs to stay in the battle. At the beginning of the second recruiting session, I did my remaining 13 HVs and the player signed. If this was the current game, an A+ school would have probably come along at signing and done 300 HVs on the player. That can't happen here.

It's really unlikely that the top teams will pull off classes with every player being a super stud. lThere's too much competition. Teams like Stanford won battles for elite players in New York. It's a whole new challenge. The current game is a lot of fun to me, but it's not as much of a challenge as it was when I first started playing. I think that Beta will remain challenging to me because of all of the variables.
7/28/2016 10:47 PM
#enjoyingprebetahd
7/28/2016 11:30 PM
Posted by Trentonjoe on 7/28/2016 10:44:00 PM (view original):
"With the level system it's oh do I further scout the first B guy or the 2nd B guy when 1 guy is C-B-B-C and the 2nd guy is A-A-F-C, oh sorry you don't have the budget to scout both because we decided not to let you guys have the budget to get both oh and the camp you signed up for had 3 B guys and 15 D guys and 2 F guys, where as the camps other coaches near you have 14 B 5 C 2 D even though you have a higher prestige. "

That statement is pretty much untrue. You shouldn't really decide to scout based on level 1 info, although you can, there are ways (cheaper ways) to make more informed decisions. And you have the budget to scout way more than 2 people. I have 28 guys scouted to level 4 and 38 at level 3. I am not convinced that is enough but it's in the ballpark.

Ian, you aren't playing the beta you don't have a real good handle on the game. I am sure you think you do but many of the gross generalizations you make are just that.

In response to your claim I don't provide constructive criticism, well maybe I don't do enough. What I do is be a part of discussion an provide data for them. If I have a suggestion, I make it but at this point I am trying to figure out how the game works and not talking to much about what I want it to do.
What do you feel is untrue about it? He accurately described EXACTLY how the grades are determined, as verified by seble in the back-and-forth I've had with I'm in the beta forum over the last 24 hours or so. Both players that he documented would have B grades (hell, the first guy might even have a C grade depending on where the B's vs. the C's are). Recognizing that gets you exactly to the quandary I'm discussing over there -- that there is no cue a rational, thinking adult can take to determine a strategy at that point. It becomes a case of "grab a$$ and hope you get lucky," which is pretty odd considering its the programmer that's claiming the changes are because "there ought to be a strategy." (he's right -- there OUGHT to be a strategy...and at other locations I'll even go so far as to say there is some strategy involved. THIS isn't one of those points, however)

Saying that you shouldn't really decide who to scout based on level 1 info is kind of silly considering that's precisely the position pretty much every coach is going to find themselves in. I mean, what else is a fella to do with his scouting dollars -- waste them on the clearly bad guys that they were lucky enough to get Level 2/3 info on via camps?

This whole beta process has become one huge Rube Goldberg machine. I've asked seble repeatedly to provide the logic tree that he thinks someone with no insider knowledge of the game will be able to follow to arrive at optimal strategy based on information received at Level 1, 2 and 3 (admittedly, I'm most interested in the transit from Level 1 to 2 as I think that's where the largest amount of differential occurs). Unless something has recently changed, he still hasn't been able or willing to do so. Today he pulls out that certain grades are based on a "proprietary ratings formula," but, again, barring a change in the beta forum in the last couple hours, said formula has never been presented for evaluative or feedback purposes by the beta community -- if it's forming the foundation for all letter grades given at Level 1, that's something that probably should be open to both discussion and evaluation.
7/29/2016 12:19 AM
"What do you feel is untrue about it?" Everything after "A-A-F-C."

Here's something else that is untrue: "who to scout based on level 1 info ... that's precisely the position pretty much every coach is going to find themselves in." At D3 and D2 I have never yet found myself in that position, and I doubt anyone else has, either, considering that a hosted camp gets you level 2 info all by itself and FSS adds a level, cheaply.

You did notice he stressed that the formula he uses is proprietary? Don't expect him to turn up every card. You'll have better luck demanding the secret sauce recipe from McDonald's.
7/29/2016 12:34 AM
123 Next ▸

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.