NDL #10 or NDDL #5 (70's) Topic

I guess these have been put on the back burner by amerk. He doesnt feel that the football drafters are as attentive as the baseball, basketball, or hockey drafters. He is putting football off........for now.............. unless someone else wants to run it.
7/29/2016 10:03 PM
I can attest to what grayfoxx said. Not sure if he is trying to "throw me under the bus" or something, but yes, he's right. Most of you who have been in my NDL and NDDL leagues have been pretty good drafters--attentive, on the ball, ready when it's your turn etc. However there are 3-5 guys who are in most of my leagues who, quite frankly, ruin it for everyone else. They are often skipped in most rounds, pretty must NEVER send proxy lists, and sometimes get 2 or even 3 rounds behind everyone else.

I run player exclusive draft leagues in the other three major sports, and there is no question who are the worst drafters, and it's my NFL leagues, and it's not even close. I just don't see the same problems in those drafts. They are ready to pick, use proxy lists more often, and those drafts run smoothly. There are not five or six skipped picks (or more) in a round. When I do another NFL draft league, and I WILL put a sign up up soon for both because it is near NFL season, but I will come up with some kind of penalty for missing your on the clock draft spot and not sending a proxy list. I'm not sure what exactly, but I'm leaving toward that player losing their pick in that round entirely. If you miss your 2nd round pick, draft slot time comes and goes and you didn't pick or send a proxy list, you don't get a 2nd round pick. Then you only have 7 picks in the draft. You miss your 3rd round draft slot time, you lose your pick that round, and only get SIX picks total.

Sounds harsh, but dammit, something has to be done for me to run this from now on. I'm just sick and tired of the "laissez-faire, I dont give a damn" style of draftiung in my NFL leagues.

Or if someone ELSE wants to take over and run them, be my guest. If no one does in the next week or two, I will put up a sign up list for both then.
7/31/2016 3:37 AM
Those penalties aren't even that harsh, actually. You still get 75mil.

I'd be willing to "run" a league, but I've stated my preference for a very different salary cap, which is the condition per which I'd volunteer to run it :) And the sign-up to date has shown me that the interest in a low salary cap league is poor.
8/1/2016 5:34 PM
I will take a team no matter who is running it this season
8/17/2016 11:00 AM
In all fairness, the whole reason the NFL Sim doesn't have players, is because it's never updated.

Comparing Basketball or Baseball (Who see far more attention IMO) is like comparing apples to oranges. I completely agree that some people are perpetual offenders, and I apologize for the times I was confused and missed starts of the draft. I blame this on the fact that it takes months to sign up...

I honestly feel like the long gaps cause us to lose people and get that lazy type of feeling. 80s and 90s are like my absolute favorite eras to draft. So I'm hoping you come back relatively soon. There obviously needs to be some sort of changes, but the fact is that there isn't enough appeal in the NFL Sim to start enforcing harsh penalties or booting people from the draft.
8/23/2016 4:37 PM
Well I love Amerk's leagues, and I hope he comes back to this, because he does a good job. I might be interested in running the NDL (not the decade draft) although I've never run a league before. I do love the NFL SIM though. My thoughts are as follows:

1) The $75 million is a fantastic number to work with as it allows you to have stars, but not completely load up. You do have to put some actual thought into it if you want a well rounded team. Any good defense is going to cost you upwards of $30 million, with the normal being mid-high 30's. Throw in a good O-Line, kicking, and decent Special Teams and you could be at or near $50 million real fast. So I would keep it at $75 million, as any lower than that just doesn't make much sense. We want to play with the best players and defenses, but also make it competitive and that is a good number to work with.
2) I would recommend a change to the draft where all 23 on the roster are exclusive, not just the 8 rounds like we have been doing. We can have the 8 rounds of selecting one player/unit like we have been, but then finish with 5 rounds in which we select 3 players in each round. Once the draft is moving and everyone is engaged, this shouldn't be a problem and would be fun to mix it up so that not everyone is putting '90 Jeff Hostetler as their backup QB, or having like half the league using the same kicker.
3) Name exclusive stadiums. This has no bearing on anything really, but again, just to mix things up and keep it as real as possible to avoid duplicates.
4) Have a hard starting time for the draft. Get around 30 people who are interested (24 for the league and the rest on a waiting list) if that is even possible these days, and have it start on a Monday. None of this, ''draft order is set and so and so can being anytime he is ready.'' Just start it on a given day at a given time and that is it. Once it starts, it's not stopping. The times are the times and that's all their is to it. Whoever doesn't show up in a reasonable time (x amount of hours) is just going to lose his spot to the first guy on the waiting list. Keep moving down the waiting list until everyone is engaged and active in the draft. Really the only thing we can do is kick people out if they don't show up. But I think strict enforcement of times would definitely help.
5) Start sign ups for the next season at around the halfway point of the season that is being played. The thing that always takes the longest is the initial sign ups and trying to get the league full. If we start sign ups while everyone is active and playing a current season, they are more likely to sign up again as they will be checking their team daily to make adjustments, etc.

Those are just some thoughts/ideas I had. I am interested to hear what everyone else thinks.
8/23/2016 7:39 PM
sounds good to me, rjk. I'd prefer to draft the 80s, as it's something we haven't done multiple times before. Typically for a decade league we've used a lower cap, as there are fewer stud players and defenses than if you have 75 years to choose from.
8/25/2016 8:18 AM
I only signed up for the 70 s draft still waiting
8/27/2016 8:55 PM
oops, sorry, I meant 70s
8/28/2016 6:51 PM
There was much more participation until What if Sports changed the sim and took away head-to-head play.
9/8/2016 10:29 AM
With nothing happening, and Amerk busy for now, I have taken the initiative and started a new version of this that I'm calling ''NFL Exclusive Player Draft'' using the changes that I discussed earlier. Please come sign up!

Edit: This is for an all-time draft, not decade. If someone else wants to take the initiative on that one, go for it. I'm not a fan of the decade drafts myself, as I feel an all-time draft is much more fun and with the talent pool so deep, each owner can field a competitive team.
9/23/2016 4:34 PM
NDL #10 or NDDL #5 (70's) Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.