ridiculous d1 big men Topic

If its such a widespread problem then how can I have an even crappier player with excellent results?
https://www.whatifsports.com/hd/PlayerProfile/Ratings.aspx?tid=2256&pid=3307338
7/30/2016 10:00 PM
Posted by mullycj on 7/30/2016 10:00:00 PM (view original):
If its such a widespread problem then how can I have an even crappier player with excellent results?
https://www.whatifsports.com/hd/PlayerProfile/Ratings.aspx?tid=2256&pid=3307338
what are you talking about - that is a 3rd year sophmore with A off iq. i am talking about freshman.

well, i guess my title didn't mention freshman. i should have been clearer, sorry, probably shouldn't have posted at 6am right before i passed out, i mean i know i mentioned freshman in the OP but i didn't make it clear enough this was just about them. so let me clarify - i really wrote this thread ******** about freshman bigs, which universally are crap IMO, not about bigs in general.

bigs in general are a problem, but its not as clear cut by any means. bigs just do not hold up, in general, in competitive d1 play. i think its true in d2/d3 but i haven't been there in so long, i don't want to muddy the waters. i think bigs in d1 can be effective, but not generally as freshman, and not as effective as guards. a big having a performance like yours in the title competition circuit, would either take very favorable RNG or incredible talent, where far, far more guards of ability to score in that title circuit exist. your big is good largely because he has the FT that so many high rating bigs lack, which is really the key to worthwhile bigs - combined with your opposition being farely weak. your team has lost to most quality teams so i don't think its a good example for the argument i'd be making about bigs sucking in general, either, even though that's not the point i was trying to make. in short, your big is competitive offensively with starting bigs on top tier programs, while you are playing far-from-top-tier opponent - so he BETTER be effective, or he'd basically be proof that bigs are horribly, horribly broken. sorry again for lack of clarity.
7/30/2016 10:21 PM (edited)
OK - different story... carry on
7/30/2016 10:51 PM
yeah, the freshman thing is the issue - and IQ should matter, and freshman should have lower IQ, I am cool with all of that, but it is very difficult to get decent offense even from very studly freshman bigs. I suppose this particular player is sort of a first-world problems issue, but even on less loaded teams, while he might contribute more out of necessity, he wouldn't probably do it efficiently.

That 71% FG is on 46 total attempts...statistically irrelevant.
7/31/2016 1:43 AM
◂ Prev 12
ridiculous d1 big men Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.