ridiculous d1 big men Topic

i know its far too late to get seble to take notice, but a situation just came up and its like seriously, how does this ridiculous situation even exist? can't we get stuff like this fixed??

my co-coach and i were debating if this player should get 0 distro or 1. we settled on 0. this is not an isolated incident, this is actually pretty common. in what kind of insane world does the #4 center recruit in the nation, with 95 ath, 57 spd, and 93 lp, have 0 distro for his team. he has c- ft and c+ iq, and bigs draw fouls poorly and shoot 2s fairly poorly in this game. so, the should-be-stud freshman big rides the pine with 0 distro. even on a S16 type d1 team, i'd only have him at a 1, most likely.

just kind of bugs me how much fundamental stuff there is wrong with this game, that has been wrong for 5-10 years, and still, it continues to be neglected.

EDIT: i was not clear enough, i do think big men are flawed in this game as a whole, i feel very strongly about that - but its much less severe and much less obvious of a problem than just with freshman - which is what i was complaining about - should have made that clearer, sorry.
7/30/2016 10:14 PM (edited)
Why fix old problems when we can create new ones instead?
7/30/2016 6:19 AM
I really think that the new version will spread talent out more so it isn't concentrated in only a few teams. Players like that should be able to contribute and dominate. If he's not covered by 90+ ATH/DEF/BLK guys every night, he'll be better right?

I mean, he may be on Marguette and not MSU but....
7/30/2016 6:54 AM
"just kind of bugs me how much fundamental stuff there is wrong with this game, that has been wrong for 5-10 years, and still, it continues to be neglected."

I don't know if this is a "fundamental' problem. It isn't like post players aren't efficient offensive weapons. This stuff is only really happening at high D-1.

7/30/2016 6:59 AM
The bizarre thing is the sense that I think we all have that this would be a relatively straightforward fix. There's got to be some parameters in the code that would allow seble to adjust the initial recruit generation to dial it back just a little. If nothing else, then just lower the initial ratings of the big men.

The flip-side of that coin is that WIS is not wrong that there is a general unwillingness of users to battle one another for recruits in the current game. That leads to some truly perverse results in the games' recruiting market. However, getting that fixed, as I would think seble is fully aware by now, is going to prove extremely difficult. Folks are generally risk-averse. There's good reason to be, if there is no meaningful opportunity for recovery after a bad beat.

7/30/2016 10:04 AM
If you are giving that guy 0 dist, then there is something wrong or something too great about the rest of your team. I don't see the same extreme issues you do.

I see underperforming players at ALL positions from time to time. I think its the randomness of the engine.
7/30/2016 11:10 AM
We'll go with too great mully. as the michigan team that gets whipped on by that MSU team, they are very very very good.

And I would agree that in current game teams don't battle. Dac and cbg get amazing classes every season, I've tried to battle them and realize it's nigh impossible. That being said, recruit generation, and this guy getting a 0 dist is a much bigger issue than battling. And extra clicks and caps, and D3 coaches thinking they should sign similar players is a MUCH bigger problem.
7/30/2016 12:06 PM
there isn't a ton of incentive to battle when you have 20 guys just like him and 20 more who will reach that level after growth....

imagine having only 5-10 guys like that available I think you'd easily see more battle at least among the A+ schools and strategy of running a 2015 duke small rotation of studs or a deep rotation west va team
7/30/2016 1:22 PM
While it would appear that he should be an excellent offensive weapon on paper, the problems are:

1. 95 Athleticism is very good, until you realize there are hundreds of other centers with similar athleticism or at least within 5-10 rating points.

2. Offensive IQ is poor and since he is awful from the perimeter, he's having trouble getting position inside possibly? With a 16 perimeter rating, his range must be about 5 feet from the basket.

3. I feel low post is highly overrated.

I would definitely set him to 0 and let him clean up on the boards and get a few opportunities here and there on tip-ins.
7/30/2016 4:30 PM
He is shooting 71%, in that case 20+ games in I would definitely consider him moving to 1.
7/30/2016 4:52 PM
I 2nd the point on his PER rating affecting results
7/30/2016 5:10 PM
Posted by Trentonjoe on 7/30/2016 6:59:00 AM (view original):
"just kind of bugs me how much fundamental stuff there is wrong with this game, that has been wrong for 5-10 years, and still, it continues to be neglected."

I don't know if this is a "fundamental' problem. It isn't like post players aren't efficient offensive weapons. This stuff is only really happening at high D-1.

how is this only happening at high d1? do stud freshman bigs get more that 0/1 distro on top d2/d3 teams? or on mid/low d1 teams? i don't think so... at least not on the well-coached ones. mine certainly never did.
7/30/2016 9:17 PM
Posted by mullycj on 7/30/2016 11:10:00 AM (view original):
If you are giving that guy 0 dist, then there is something wrong or something too great about the rest of your team. I don't see the same extreme issues you do.

I see underperforming players at ALL positions from time to time. I think its the randomness of the engine.
i strongly disagree. on st bon when i coached them in phelan, recently, with like B prestige, even half assing them, i had enough guard scoring talent that this dude would generally have only had 1 distro to end the season as a freshman - assuming i could have signed him. MSU is a great program, but that has nothing to do with it - so its not "something too great about the rest of your team". but yeah, you are absolutely right on the earlier part - there is something wrong. the something wrong is that stud big men are useless as freshman in competitive play. i think that is bad for the game and also completely unrealistic. there cannot be a cousins or okafor in this game, not even remotely close, and i think that is wrong.

just to note, this guy hasn't really underperformed - that is 0% of what i'm trying to say. i don't actually even know how hes done, but a guy with 0-1 distro is expected to suck so whether he sucked or shot well on his dozen shots of the year, it doesn't really matter, the sample is too small, anyway. i've had players just like him dozens of times on kansas and MSU and they all get 0 or 1 distro. i'm using him as an example, so don't read too much into his specific situation.
7/30/2016 9:24 PM
Posted by thewizard17 on 7/30/2016 4:52:00 PM (view original):
He is shooting 71%, in that case 20+ games in I would definitely consider him moving to 1.
how many of those are put backs, tip ins, or dunks? probably most. i didn't realize he was shooting so well, but how well a guy shoots on 1 distro all season is irrelevant (my co-coach had him at 1, i chose another guy to go 0->1 and moved him 1->0, it was a borderline decision and his was fine, i just prefer the 0). maybe he's not the best example bc people might get hung up on his shooting, but the reality is, if i tried to have him as a 10ppg scoring freshman big, he would suck, at least on the median result, just like all the other freshman bigs who look like him. as a 3ppg guy, because of the small sample and high % of offensive rebound-driven scoring, sure, he can cut it, but that is a really pathetically low bar.
7/30/2016 9:28 PM
Posted by thewizard17 on 7/30/2016 4:30:00 PM (view original):
While it would appear that he should be an excellent offensive weapon on paper, the problems are:

1. 95 Athleticism is very good, until you realize there are hundreds of other centers with similar athleticism or at least within 5-10 rating points.

2. Offensive IQ is poor and since he is awful from the perimeter, he's having trouble getting position inside possibly? With a 16 perimeter rating, his range must be about 5 feet from the basket.

3. I feel low post is highly overrated.

I would definitely set him to 0 and let him clean up on the boards and get a few opportunities here and there on tip-ins.
#1 is absolutely part of the problem i am pointing out - seble made way too many lebron james caliber (ratings-wise) players when he adjusted recruit gen.
#2 is absolutely part of the problem i am pointing out - why does the most studly of freshman bigs have crap offensive iq?
#3 is absolutely part of the problem i am pointing out - low post is overrated, but not by me, that's why i moved him to 0 despite what apparently is a very good showing on his tiny sample size so far (didn't realize till you pointed it out). it is overrated by others, which is why some are trying to point to extreme cases like MSU being great or something to justify the situation - when the reality is, this guy, as a scorer, he just plain sucks. he sucks on any high end BCS team and i wouldn't even let him score on a quality mid major. really, i suspect if someone else posted this, folks would just tell him he was an idiot and the 0 choice was a stupid one, so maybe this is an awareness problem to some extent.

sounds like we are in agreement!
7/30/2016 9:34 PM
12 Next ▸
ridiculous d1 big men Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.