Iba D2 season 88! Topic

One more thought on Hamblin from N Florida. He reminds me of the best player I ever had at Harding. In Iba, I've played in 4 championship games but won only one. The best player I ever had took me to two of those championship games. Wesley Ellis. The best PG I've ever coached. Regrettably he came on the losing end of both. Anyway, he also was a mid-to-high 400 level player that I red-shirted and then started for the next 4 years. He graduated as a high 800 level player and was drafted in the 1st round of the NBA Draft with the 28th overall pick by the Philadelphia 76ers. He's still the career leader at Harding in Assists and 3rd in Steals.

It's rare to see a D2 player get drafted in HD. Much less in the 1st round. For all I know, Ellis may be the only one. Hamblin could be the next one.
8/11/2016 3:40 AM
Posted by hackerhog on 8/11/2016 3:40:00 AM (view original):
One more thought on Hamblin from N Florida. He reminds me of the best player I ever had at Harding. In Iba, I've played in 4 championship games but won only one. The best player I ever had took me to two of those championship games. Wesley Ellis. The best PG I've ever coached. Regrettably he came on the losing end of both. Anyway, he also was a mid-to-high 400 level player that I red-shirted and then started for the next 4 years. He graduated as a high 800 level player and was drafted in the 1st round of the NBA Draft with the 28th overall pick by the Philadelphia 76ers. He's still the career leader at Harding in Assists and 3rd in Steals.

It's rare to see a D2 player get drafted in HD. Much less in the 1st round. For all I know, Ellis may be the only one. Hamblin could be the next one.
I've had one as well Bedard, years ago on my Post team in Rupp. That's back when stats mattered all much as much as ratings did, so if you "really" loaded up on a guy AND he had decent ratings, you had a chance to have him picked. Also had a couple of guys go in the 2nd round as well. But what beats all is this one.

Under my Dcy ID, I've been at Northeastern State since season 3 of Tark (something like 110 seasons or so now). Way back when, in roughly season 55 or so, I was battling for a dropdown Center with a conference mate, kid's name was something White (James, Edward, something like that). Anyway, I ran out of money and lost the battle. Here's the kick in the balls. The kid was SO GOOD and his ratings SO HIGH for D2 that, get ready for it,................................the kid goes pro.............................after his JUNIOR SEASON!!! Yes, you read that right, a D2 player left a D2 school early for the draft!! And he was picked but the double kick in the balls was that he was drafted late in the second round (if I remember correctly). So the other coach wins the battle for the kid but loses the war as the kid leaves his school a year early. Man was he ******!!!!

I'll try to see if I can find the specifics here in just a second (tean, first name, season, etc.). Blew me away that a D2 kid left early. Now THAT is something I've not seen before or since but because of that I'm always just a littttttlllleee nervous when I have a stud and the season ends. Always just a little afraid I'll be the 2nd coach to experience the double nut crunch!

For what it's worth, I've got a SF on my Incarnate team in Allen. He's from NH and I like to scout those little states looking for a gem. Well, signings were drawing very near and I was crapping the bed that recruiting session and was getting really desperate so I go back and look and I see this guy with blue everywhere......except Ath and Spd (two of the three ratings I, and most everyone else, hold in high regard). But I was desperate for some depth so I signed him anyway. He started at 469 and near the end of his senior year he's rated at 834 overall. He's nowhere near the player Hamblin is, specifically "because" of that low Ath/Spd (they're both at like 50 or something. Pretty mediocre for those two really but, oh, all those blues), but for a last minute desperation grab he's not bad.

Also had a SG (who was really a SF in disguise) who I signed out of Canada that ended up at 882 overall on what used to be my Kentucky Wesleyan team in D2 Wooden. He's recent enough that his ratings are still visible. Paul Blasko.....BEAST!! I'm a little biased of course, but I think Blasko was every bit the stud that Hamblin is. Blasko didn't get drafted because for one reason , I didn't go crazy with his distro and have him shoot 40 times a game. I wanted that NC and I thought he'd deliver. Nope. Had a guy right after him on that team named Thomas Bittle. He started at 528 or 529 and ended up at 820 but what was cool about him was that he WAS able to handle the distro boost and he ended up NPOY his junior AND senior seasons. The junior season award was a surprise. The senior season would have been a surprise if he "hadn't" won it. Also.....undrafted.

My point to all this rambling is that if Paul Blasko at 882 couldn't even sniff the Draft Board (he never showed up on it one time, even by the end of his senior season), then I think it's going to be very difficult for Hamblin to get drafted. He could, especially if he scores a ton but the new way everything draft related is set up, I just don't think it'll happen. Back in the "good old days" of HD? No doubt in my mind he gets picked. Now? Not so sure.
8/13/2016 2:23 PM (edited)
One thing to consider about the D2 guy (that I'm getting ready to find) leaving early is that was both pre-potential AND pre-Draft Big Board. Now? Now I don't believe he would even be drafted, let alone leave early. Yes his ratings were awesome (they aren't visible though) but comparing him to other "D1" big men who got drafted, he was probably slightly below average. But slightly below average for D1 translates to MONSTER in D2!
8/13/2016 1:55 PM
Found him!! His name was "Gerald" White, not James or Edward. I remembered his last name just because he tore my team apart every time we played. Okay, he signed him in season 50 and, get this, got the kid to take a redshirt! He started playing in season 51, played 52 as a sophomore, and 53 as a junior. Declares early for the draft and gets picked #42 by the Golden State Warriors. Coach Notchflaw (one of my biggest rivals in that conference but I always seem to forget his name), anyway, Coach Notchflaw is ******!!! Our conference message board explodes from the intensity of his rant. We all agree with him publicly but are glad as hell privately that the kid is gone.

Gerald White Center E. Central D2 Tark Season 53 Picked #42 As a JUNIOR! Haven't seen it before or since (the leaving early part)
Coach: Notchflaw
8/13/2016 2:06 PM
The guy from my Post team was SG James Williamson, who was drafted #18 by the Boston Celtics in season 40. (Emy/Post/D2 Rupp)
8/13/2016 2:08 PM
I also had one at N. Colorado in D2 Knight under this ID. Mark Moir, a Center, was drafted in the 2nd round in spot #57 by the Miami Heat in season 34. Not the first round, I know, just that a D2 guy got drafted.

I swear I think I had another one somewhere but I'm brain farting who it was and where he played....
8/13/2016 2:15 PM
Okay, break time for my fingers, ha ha!!

But if you can't tell after all that rambling and blah, blah, blah, I used to really love this game. Really got into it. That is, of course, before one particular site staff got his hands on it and basically turned a diamond into a turd.

If I didn't enjoy this game so much, it would almost be comically tragic watching what he's done to the game. It's like that old train wreck saying, you just can't look away.
8/13/2016 2:29 PM (edited)
Cry cry cry. What i find most interesting is the whiners in this game. If it weren't for family member's, I would have dropped it months ago. Griefing is a sad state in any form of gaming. Make adjustments or move on in my opinion. I'm not sure what the public outcry about a guy's potential draftability is in Div.II. It's happened before without all the fuss...
8/22/2016 5:22 AM (edited)
Not sure what the little boo hoo above is all about but I don't think anyone is complaining at all. More like simply marveling at some outstanding players, present and past.
8/25/2016 9:23 AM
Just a note is that soon DII players will easily get drafted (as they are actually DI kids).
8/25/2016 12:07 PM
Posted by troyooga on 8/22/2016 5:22:00 AM (view original):
Cry cry cry. What i find most interesting is the whiners in this game. If it weren't for family member's, I would have dropped it months ago. Griefing is a sad state in any form of gaming. Make adjustments or move on in my opinion. I'm not sure what the public outcry about a guy's potential draftability is in Div.II. It's happened before without all the fuss...
I guess I am confused. I don't think anyone was freaking out, I think people were just talking about possible NBA guys they have seen in D2. I think there may be a misunderstanding here.
8/25/2016 2:24 PM
Posted by getbedarded on 8/25/2016 2:24:00 PM (view original):
Posted by troyooga on 8/22/2016 5:22:00 AM (view original):
I guess I am confused. I don't think anyone was freaking out, I think people were just talking about possible NBA guys they have seen in D2. I think there may be a misunderstanding here.
Yep, as I said in a post above, either I'm reading something wrong or I'm totally missing the point somewhere or something else entirely maybe. But I think it's as clear as mud that we're all on the same sheet of music here.
8/26/2016 11:48 AM
I think Hamblin or Harlan Rollins at Hillsdale are in the player of the year conversation as is Joseph Cook from my Alderson Broaddus team.Cook has 1.1 more points a game than Hamblin in 3 fewer minutes. Plus 1.5 steals to Hamblin's 1 per game. Still look for Rollins or Hamblin to win it though.
8/31/2016 5:30 PM
Look at the programs/coaches in the 2nd round of the Midwest Region. Good lord! How did I get stuck in this bracket.
9/5/2016 11:13 AM
Posted by hackerhog on 9/5/2016 11:13:00 AM (view original):
Look at the programs/coaches in the 2nd round of the Midwest Region. Good lord! How did I get stuck in this bracket.
I feel the same way. Not liking my matchup.
9/5/2016 6:50 PM
◂ Prev 123 Next ▸
Iba D2 season 88! Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.