Division 3 defense Topic

I'm pretty successful I'm usually eliminated 3rd round by a user who wins every other season. This season I got cheated by a sim AI. Could use some pointers on defense. Should I switch to the 3-4 because it seems to defend pass and run better. DB placement on early downs
8/2/2016 5:55 PM
Coast Guard had a better team talent-wise than you had with your Lakeland team. This was your first season with the Lakeland squad, and Coast Guard had the same human coach for many seasons...tons of good redshirts. CG ran mostly power running formations (NDB and I), so I think your 4-3 was the right choice in this instance. Based on my short review, it just appears you were out-manned.

As for the 4-3/3-4 debate, it depends on your squad. All things being equal, I prefer a 4-3 because I like more pressure on the QB. INTs are as rare as chicken teeth in this game if you have a good QB, so I would prefer to put him on his back than try to rely on defending the pass. I also find it easier to recruit DL than LB because of the popularity of the 3-4, which is another reason I like the 4-3 presently.

Good arguments the other way, to which there are several good posts on this forum.

Ultimately, it comes down to talent more than anything. Pick a scheme and recruit to that style. Perfect your style and you should do pretty well.
8/2/2016 9:39 PM
lol I was talking about my Alfred team
8/4/2016 6:05 AM
thanks for the help
8/4/2016 6:06 AM
No worries. You should have won against Adrian. You had a better team. Significant advantage on OL vs DL and DL vs OL. Adrian had the advantage DB vs WR. You were averaging over 6 yards on the ground per carry. However, you threw the ball too much and had 3 INTs (1 fumble).

Summary: Better team, bad game plan. That was a game where you should have pounded the ball because of the DB v. WR advantage of your opponent.

Also...coaching opinions are a dime a dozen. The analysis above is how I would have approached the game. Let me give you a contrarian view:

Your QB is above average and has an OUTSTANDING formation IQ of 80 (that is pretty amazing at that level). Why in the world he tossed 3 INT's is beyond me. Some coaches would say always stick with the game plan that got you to the playoffs no matter the opponent. I disagree...but that is me. I also have never won a NC :)
8/4/2016 9:39 AM
Division 3 defense Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.