Project: Everyone Occupying One World Topic

Posted by orangepace on 8/6/2016 12:51:00 AM (view original):
Posted by gt_deuce on 8/4/2016 4:22:00 PM (view original):
One complicating factor is that many coaches - myself included - occupy certain worlds solely on the basis of their recruiting start day-of-the-week. So while there are plenty of people who, like me, only occupy worlds whose recruiting starts during the week, I'm sure there are many others who will only occupy worlds whose recruiting starts on the weekend. Gonna be tough to get a large number rowing in the same direction on this one, I think.

Not to mention team/conference allegiances; prestige built up over many years; or a general unwillingness to suffer through the malaise of D-III or the indignities of D-IAA (recruiting) to get to D-IA; etc.

Or this: By the time you toil at the lower levels, building your resume to get to each subsequent level, all the good teams will have long since been taken, and you'll be left coaching Idaho until someone vacates that coveted [/sarcasm] Indiana job and you snag it (being that Indiana is the best job that's open... no, seriously, it is), only to be booted after four seasons when you can't manage to win enough games to keep that job.

I applaud the effort, but fear it's in vain.
Hey now.. Not everyone shares your opinion on D1AA. It's actually my favorite level in the game. Everything else you pointed out is spot on though. I myself hate worlds that recruit on weekends. I try to avoid the computer as much as possible on the weekends.
LOVED the competition and playoffs of D-IAA. DESPISED the recruiting.

Though, I completely understand the enjoyment that some get out of recruiting at that level. It is a beast unto its own and there are some really special things possible with recruiting at that level that just don't exist at any of the other levels. I totally get it.

It's only that, at this point in my GD lifespan, I just don't have the motivation or the drive to commit to it in the way that it requires for sustained success. (EDIT: Success on the level that I demand of myself.)
8/8/2016 12:35 PM (edited)
Posted by gt_deuce on 8/8/2016 12:35:00 PM (view original):
Posted by orangepace on 8/6/2016 12:51:00 AM (view original):
Posted by gt_deuce on 8/4/2016 4:22:00 PM (view original):
One complicating factor is that many coaches - myself included - occupy certain worlds solely on the basis of their recruiting start day-of-the-week. So while there are plenty of people who, like me, only occupy worlds whose recruiting starts during the week, I'm sure there are many others who will only occupy worlds whose recruiting starts on the weekend. Gonna be tough to get a large number rowing in the same direction on this one, I think.

Not to mention team/conference allegiances; prestige built up over many years; or a general unwillingness to suffer through the malaise of D-III or the indignities of D-IAA (recruiting) to get to D-IA; etc.

Or this: By the time you toil at the lower levels, building your resume to get to each subsequent level, all the good teams will have long since been taken, and you'll be left coaching Idaho until someone vacates that coveted [/sarcasm] Indiana job and you snag it (being that Indiana is the best job that's open... no, seriously, it is), only to be booted after four seasons when you can't manage to win enough games to keep that job.

I applaud the effort, but fear it's in vain.
Hey now.. Not everyone shares your opinion on D1AA. It's actually my favorite level in the game. Everything else you pointed out is spot on though. I myself hate worlds that recruit on weekends. I try to avoid the computer as much as possible on the weekends.
LOVED the competition and playoffs of D-IAA. DESPISED the recruiting.

Though, I completely understand the enjoyment that some get out of recruiting at that level. It is a beast unto its own and there are some really special things possible with recruiting at that level that just don't exist at any of the other levels. I totally get it.

It's only that, at this point in my GD lifespan, I just don't have the motivation or the drive to commit to it in the way that it requires for sustained success. (EDIT: Success on the level that I demand of myself.)
Can't argue with that. I love my Wilk D1AA team, but recruiting has its ups and downs. With the sheer number of coaches in D1A, you can imagine the amount of poaching that happens late in the game. There have been a few D1A coaches I've nearly berated for poaching chunks of a class.

"Hey dumbass! If you're grabbing 3-4 recruits from a D1AA on Day 2+, you aren't going to be a D1A FBS coach for long. You're idiocy is now causing a disservice to my team. Thanks! -signed OP"
8/10/2016 5:16 AM
◂ Prev 12
Project: Everyone Occupying One World Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.