Fielding or Range in Outfield Topic

Well, I wish you luck. Might be worth it to run a team with good range in a hitter's park and see what happens, though. Hitting stats are probably the least important part of team composition when you're in a park like that.
8/24/2016 7:21 AM
ALL of my teams have the worst range in the league and I've won WS at Hilltop with that very same poor range. Peolple are so anal about minus plays but they aren't as devestating as people think bc the vast majority of minus plays that a player makes has no impact whatsoever on whether you win the game or not. If you have the better hitters and better starting pitcher you're more than like gonna win the game irrespective of a minus play or two. Check your box scores and see how often a minus play determines whether you win or lose. Not very often.
8/24/2016 11:32 AM
Regardless of where/when they appear during the course of the game, they cut down on the pitches your pitchers have to throw which, over the course of the season, reduces wear and tear (thereby not only leaving you in a better position for the playoffs, but also allowing you to draft less innings in the first place, which gives you more money to spend on higher quality innings when building your team), and stop innings. Who's to say whether or not a minus play that ends an inning didn't just stop a potential multi-run rally before it even started? There's no way to know, and I'd rather not take the risk.

That being said, I think this is a case where the best outcome is "agree to disagree" because it's clearly possible to win with a more hitting-centric approach, even in Coors, but I like to play the numbers and your chances are certainly better in hitter's parks if you have good range.
8/24/2016 11:50 AM
You make very plausible points and I respect them bc you obviously have been playing this game a lot longer than I and are very successful. I just feel that range (aside from SS and maybe CF) is vastly overated. I'd rather have a super slugger like 1919 Cravath and his 10'12 minus plays than a .270 slap hitter with zA+++++ range.
8/24/2016 2:10 PM
◂ Prev 12
Fielding or Range in Outfield Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.