Fielding or Range in Outfield Topic

I am in a theme league with a DH. I have 4 eligible OF and 1 will be the DH. Is it better to have a (B,D+) or a (D, B+) as an outfielder - it will be prob be RF. Thanks for any advice.
8/5/2016 3:40 PM
What park are you playing in?
8/5/2016 3:44 PM
And how much range does your CF have?
8/5/2016 5:48 PM
what era ball players?
8/5/2016 6:42 PM
what sign are you?
8/5/2016 8:38 PM
Haha - I'm in South End Grounds III (HR LF/RF:-1/-1 1B:2 2B:0 3B:1) - $225 M High cap league - specifically '87 Tip O'Neil and '04 Bonds are options. Both are already on team - just who should DH?
8/5/2016 9:28 PM
DH Bonds
RF O'Neill
8/6/2016 8:50 AM
Agree, DH Bonds
8/6/2016 7:03 PM
Cool thanks
8/6/2016 8:32 PM
I'll be contrarian and put O'Neill at DH. Oldtimers with D glove tend to make a lot of errors and D+ range in the OF doesn't hurt as much as it does in the infield. when in doubt consult Performance History, which is not entirely accurate because some players may have been misused, but in this case in gives no clear answer Tip had more + plays than I would expect.
8/14/2016 1:47 PM
You can't always go by the letter grade as gospel for a player's fielding ability because all D fielding ratings aren't the same. I look at their actual fielding percentage at the position because I've used some old timers with D fielding who for some reason rarely made errors no matter where I put them aside from SS. But if his fielding percentage is in the .800s then he'll definitely make a bunch of errors.
8/22/2016 3:22 PM
I wouldn't over complicate things when it comes to defense and range because my teams almost always have the worst defense and always lead the league in minus plays and they still win. If you have the right hitting, the right lineup composition, and the right pitching in the right park, you'll do fine, because in this game it's hitting and pitching that counts. Not the best defense.
8/22/2016 3:35 PM
For example...in an OL that I'm currently in, my team has the worst team fielding percentage in the league (.958) and of course leads the league in minus plays. However, I play at Hilltop and have 6 guys hitting between .350 and .430 and have pitchers like the 113 inning JR Richard, the 225 inning Mordecai and the 113 inning Toad Ramsey to go along with Rich Hill and Jack McDowell as closers. The result? We're in first place. So again...don't over think about defense and range because its all about pitching and hitting.
8/22/2016 3:55 PM
I think the above post is misleading. You were only 29 games into the season when it was made, which is a very small sample size (so averages as high as .430 are not uncommon), and in a division where first place is barely above .500. In a park like Hilltop, the most important things are strong pitching (which you have) and great range (which you don't, and seem to have disregarded). I think it's a big reason why you're 16-15 and one game back in a weak division instead of being way out in front.
8/23/2016 1:05 PM
That record is very misleading because when I draft I draft several low PA/high production players (between 250-300 PA) and rely heavily on AAA players to fill in the PA early in the season. Unfortunately I have all garbage AAA on the team and am getting absolutely nothing from them which has a direct impact on the teams current record. When I build a team I build it for the playoffs not the reg season. So when I trot out my real lineup in the postseason (a bunch of low PA super sluggers with D minus ratings), along with the type of pitching that I usually have, we're very hard to beat. My reasoning is that I couldn't care less about the 5-10 minus plays (that rarely effect the outcome of a game) a guy will make when he's gonna hit .350-.375 with 20 doubles and 10 triples in only 300 PAs. And it works very well for me.
8/24/2016 6:15 AM
12 Next ▸
Fielding or Range in Outfield Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.