What would you do? Topic

Without actually looking at my box score or stats. Just based purely off of ratings. What lineup would you run here? and how much time would you want the guys playing?

https://www.whatifsports.com/hd/TeamProfile/Ratings.aspx?tid=6592
8/5/2016 9:07 PM
Hill/Hinds/Navarrette/Morris/Bell

Can't answer the minutes question because playing guys based on minutes and not fatigue is just silly.
8/5/2016 10:07 PM
I'd be good with Drinkard at SF and Navarette off the bench at both SG and SF. Maybe in a fastbreak and/or press Navarette would be the starter. BTW how is this team ranked #6??
8/6/2016 1:45 PM
I'd probably try to get temporary scholarships for the team managers, towel boys, and jock washers and basically just forfeit.
8/6/2016 3:07 PM
Samuel Hill
Loren Hinds
Clarence Navarrete
Joseph Bell
Joseph Morris
8/6/2016 6:16 PM
Posted by yanks250125 on 8/6/2016 1:45:00 PM (view original):
I'd be good with Drinkard at SF and Navarette off the bench at both SG and SF. Maybe in a fastbreak and/or press Navarette would be the starter. BTW how is this team ranked #6??
I didn't understand whether you were saying the team should or shouldn't be as high as #6.
8/7/2016 10:21 AM
I think you should start all underclassmen for your game tonight against chestnut hill.

8/8/2016 7:57 AM
lol
8/8/2016 8:49 AM
for bigs, i'd start smith and bell. morris vs smith in terms of who is better, its close, and because you need to run a 3 man rotation, you want uneven stamina in your starters, and with two 95 stamina bigs, you can run a 3 man rotation very effectively - but not by starting both 95 sta bigs. if this was a more conventional, 5 guards 5 bigs type club, the bell/morris combo would be the practical choice - but this not that situation.

lot of slop to sort through, who is decent of the 1-3? nav @ sf, hill @ pg, hinds @ pg/sg, thompson @ backup 1-3... thats only 4? yuck. well, your situation is pretty crappy when it comes to backups, and the starter question can't be answered in a vacuum generally, but with thompson backing up and nav/hill **** on offense which means you aren't going to move studs to the backup line to get offense there... probably hill, hinds, nav @ 1-3, by process of elimination. thompson at 3 i can see because you need the offense pretty bad honestly. hmm, morris is your only big scorer too. maybe that complicates the big situation? it would be a damn shame not to start bell, hrm. well, i think you have a couple viable options i guess, you really don't want to start bell + morris, but you basically have 3 players that are talented. frankly, if i played this team, and i cared, i'd rotate based on opponent, following roughly these guidelines:

- dont start bell and morris together
- you need to start 2 scorers of your 3, hinds, thompson, smith. thompson can play any position from the 1-3 but is a horrible defender in any case, so you need to play him against some garbage scorer. if you can get him on the starting lineup, and have bell and smith start, that is preferable. if you can't, then bench bell i guess and have morris start and be your 2nd scorer on the starting line.

maybe i haven't played d3 in too long and some of your other players can score in some capacity, d3 players tend to look worse the less frequently you look at them. but that is my take, anyway.

edit: it appears you are running slowdown and your bigs aren't getting tired with your two 90s sta dudes starting - so maybe that is fine? are you running minutes or fatigue? if you are running target minutes, that would totally explain it, and you'd definitely want to start the two 90s sta guys.
8/8/2016 5:33 PM (edited)
I am indeed running target minutes. Which I know isn't preferable to 99% of the guys, but it is true, the bigs haven't been getting tired at all.
8/8/2016 9:24 PM
target minutes gets a bad wrap. it is much harder than fatigue and offers little payoff, and most coaches will cause themselves significant harm when they start using it very possibly never gaining ANY advantage. so, it makes sense that it is not very popular.

however, i have often wondered if a targets minute master wouldn't be advantaged at least in some edge cases, and very possibly on even footing or better in general in low-fatigue situations. target minutes is better at spreading the minutes around in the expected case, and worse at spreading them around when **** hits the fan. the more likely you are to follow a predictable pattern - say, as a slowdown zone club playing a non-press team - than you are to encounter chaos - say, as a fb/press team - the more sense minutes makes. with press, minutes is 100% garbage, no scenario can justify it. and with zone teams or man teams with great depth, where there is little incentive for game-playing with the rotation, there's little potential upside. however, when you do want to play odd rotations - say, play 7-8 men deep, like sim AI does (hint hint), or survive with 3 bigs getting the majority of the minutes - the fatigue setting has a major flaw. there is no way to indicate you want a 3 man rotation, and even if you only list 3 men, the fatigue sub will wait to make that sub until the fatigue levels kick in. if you have a large fatigue gap between starter 1 and 2, you can sometimes make it work, but its pretty hard and in many cases (like with similar fatigue starters), you are SOL.

fatigue users could try getting tired, but on a starter, getting tired is implemented HORRIBLY. what you'd want it, your guy to be willing to stay in longer to stop someone ****** from coming in. however, you'd want as much of that starters time to be played fresh or fairly fresh, as possible. well, on getting tired, a starter waits till getting tired, leaving the subs 100% fresh on the bench (wasting stamina recharge), and then pulls the starter - returning them as soon ASAP when the starter ticks 1 tick into the fairly fresh range. so, the starter goes back in and is playing decently fatigued again really quickly. in an infinite sub scenario, which is an easy way to simplify the situation but still get a decent grip on whats happening (by infinite sub, i mean you can sub instantaneously at any time), the starter would sub out as soon as they hit getting tired, rest a couple seconds, sub in, play a couple seconds, sub out, etc... basically, playing at an average fatigue level of exactly the worst fairly fresh / best getting tired. this basically buys you a couple extra minutes for ALL those minutes to be played at a moderately more fatigued state - which is about the worst case scenario, to get those couple extra minutes. if you consider the infinite sub case where a guy stayed in till getting tired and came out, and only came back in at 100% fatigue, if they ended the game on getting tired, the guy would play the same amount of minutes - but their fatigue level would be evenly spread between 100% full fresh and the highest point for getting tired - meaning, on average, half the fatigue of the first scenario. and considering you pay an increasingly bigger hit the more fatigued you get, you actually end up with MORE than double the fatigue penalty from the first scenario - for no extra minutes!

of course, that analysis is all in the infinite-sub scenario, but the analysis of the real situation, while messier, is similar. so basically, if you want to play a guy for a few extra minutes, fatigue forces you into scenario 1 above, while minutes puts you basically in scenario 2. and note that scenario 2 is not a great strategy, its just a very, very simple one, that is easy to see why you get the same extra minutes as scenario 1, while also being a much, much better strategy. the target minutes approach IMO without foul trouble, probably uses a better strategy than scenario 2 above (play the guy till GT and sub out till 100% fresh).

so, if you have the need for rotational flexibility, and you have the low-fatigue low-foul risk scenarios, it is VERY possible that target minutes can be better. in fact, i'm over 95% confident that real scenarios occur in HD where target minutes is superior, on a non-negligible basis.

OP, sorry this has nothing to do with your case, but most people play fatigue and i think your case is a good example of where target minutes can be helpful. in a fatigue setup, i wouldn't start both bigs, which transfers what like 8mpg from a better big to smith. in target minutes, you don't have to do that. now maybe the disadvantage of a terrible strategy in the face of foul trouble outweighs that advantage - but at a minimum, that is a clear, tangible advantage on target minutes that is illustrative of the kinds of advantages target minutes can offer.
8/9/2016 12:14 AM
Good game beachhouse. Neither of us had much defense going. I just won the turnover and fouls battle. Good luck on the rest of the season, I think you can make a nice run.
8/9/2016 11:02 AM
Posted by Benis on 8/9/2016 11:02:00 AM (view original):
Good game beachhouse. Neither of us had much defense going. I just won the turnover and fouls battle. Good luck on the rest of the season, I think you can make a nice run.
I made the mistake of taking 5 off of the distro on Morris and placing it on Hinds. I knew your SF would have a good game. Just unfortunate to have Morris go 5-5, should have had him take way more of the load. I think based on our initial rpi/sos we're both looking solid.
8/9/2016 11:07 AM
I've been running an eight man lineup successfully the last five games. 4-1, 9 rpi and 11 sos after an 8-2 start.

I personally think running set minutes is highly successful in a small lineup, as long as you don't hit foul trouble and have the stamina to accommodate the times. I'll probably never get another D3 team with my three best players being 95, 93 and 93 stamina.

The combined stamina average for the eight guys is 84.8 three guys are under that.
8/12/2016 9:49 AM
What would you do? Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.