Low Ceiling and High Floor League. We are full! Topic

Every player drafted must be between $3 million and $7 million. This will allow you some flexibility in deciding who plays each game. $60 million salary cap. I know this sounds like a lot, but you can't have more than about $30 million on the floor at one time. This league will give you a chance to actually manage your roster. NO CLONES. No rookies. No waiver wire. Have fun and good luck!

NBA54153

8/7/2016 2:51 PM
People have been looking at this, but nobody has said anything about it. If you have an extra minute, please let me know what you think of it. I will list several options below if that helps.

A) This is a great idea! I'm going to go pick my team right now!

B) This is a great idea! I'm busy right now, but I'll pick my team tomorrow.

C) I'm normally opposed to having fun, but I will give this a chance.
8/8/2016 8:47 PM
hey midge, at first glance why is the cap so high? I worry slightly you'll see most teams with the same 4 or 5 guys - maybe more.
8/8/2016 9:18 PM
I like the premise. Here's why I haven't said anything:

a) I think the cap is too high. You can spend an average of $5.7M per player for 9 guys even with the minimum you have in place. When you consider my next point...

b) The high part is too high. Tons of incredible players are $6,999,999 or less. In fact, many of the most used & abused players in the sim fall between $3m & $7m. No clones helps alleviate some of the problem, but you'll still see a ton of the same guys you normally see in any random OL or other theme.

c) I am committed to too many leagues atm, so I figured that since I had no intention of playing, there wasn't much of a reason for my input. Generally, if I recommend changes to a theme league, I intend on playing it if said changes are considered.

But I wish you great luck!
8/8/2016 10:15 PM
The cap is high because you can't pick any $239,000 guys. You will choose 12 players who can play. There are tons of options between $3 and $7 million. I don't think there will be that many teams that are just alike. Setting the ceiling at $7 million rules out the best Curry, the best LeBron, the best Wilt, the best Rodman, the best DeAndre Jordan, a bunch of guys who end up on everyone's teams. The idea was to give people a chance to use players they might not normally use and to give people a chance to manage the whole roster, not just run the exact same line-up out there for 82 games.
8/8/2016 10:21 PM
The first guy who got in has eleven different players from me, and the one guy who is the same is from a different season.
8/8/2016 10:23 PM
60 - (3*3) = 51.

$51m on 9 guys. Average of $5.7m per guy. If you do it right, you're spending almost the max on just a few guys while getting the same $3-$4m studs you've been getting for the last 5 or 6 years.

You realize that the most used Rodman isn't the highest cap one, right? It's actually falls right into your salary range. As does some of the best versions (not highest cost, the best) of many players. Sure, no 67 Wilt, 13 Lebron or 16 Curry, but I bet you'll see a ton of the same guys you see in every OL and many theme leagues.

Again, it'd be much more interesting to me if that cap came down quite a bit (to $50m or even $47m), but you seem adamant about this league as is, so more power to you. I wished you good luck once, and I'm doing so again right now.
8/8/2016 10:38 PM
Yeah, I could have made it $52 million and not have a $3 million minimum, but that's been done. I was trying to do something different.

I do figure that Rodman will be on most if not all teams, but there are several good ones to choose from, even with these restrictions.

I don't play in open leagues, so I don't know who the guys are you see in every open league.

Maybe I'm wrong, but it seems to me that if the salary cap is lower that would make a smaller player pool of who could be drafted.

Thank you very much for your input.

If would be fun (I think) if you would pick a team, even if you don't plan to play in the league. I would be interested in seeing how many of the players on our teams are identical.
8/9/2016 12:33 AM
Why not $52m WITH the $3m minimum? Higher cap means the TOP teams are more likely to be similar. Maybe there'll be some variety overall, but more often than not, in high cap leagues, 4 of the top 5 or 6 teams have at least 3 if not 4 or 5 of the exact same starter (player, year, everything). The winners just figure out the most efficient combination.

Tell you what, bud, I'll do that sometime this week and shoot it your way. I like the concept - I really do - it's mostly the "I'm full" thing hitting me. 3 progs, 1 draft league and 2 ols is capacity for me.
8/9/2016 4:08 AM
A) That will be cool if you pick one just to compare even if you don't play.

B) Shouldn't we both be asleep?
8/9/2016 5:08 AM
I compared my roster with the next team in. Three players are identical, three players are the same people, but different seasons. Six players are completely different. Only one identical player is a guy that I would expect to be a starter. Not bad.
8/9/2016 2:57 PM
How on Earth do you plan to monitor the "...but you can't have more than about $30 million on the floor at one time." part of your rules?
8/13/2016 10:37 AM
That is not a league rule. That was supposed to be a comment, but now that I look at it I see what you mean. Sorry about that. What I was trying to express was that in a typical $60 million league your starting five could easily be about $50 million, but in this league your starting five won't be anywhere near $50 million. Thank you for pointing that out.
8/14/2016 3:34 AM
Relax, enjoy your holiday, and join a theme league!
9/5/2016 6:47 PM
We need eleven!
10/1/2016 2:00 PM
12 Next ▸
Low Ceiling and High Floor League. We are full! Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.