International/Free agent negotiating Topic

If you offer say like $10 million to like an international prospect and then you think maybe that's way more than anyone else offered, is there any negative to withdrawing the offer and offering less? Will that **** them off or will they not know the difference?
8/8/2016 12:44 PM
No difference. But, if someone left an offer out there, they might beat your offer and the player might sign immediately.
8/8/2016 12:52 PM
I'd probably rescind your offer on that pitcher. :)
8/9/2016 2:37 PM
Haha he is the first decent pitcher my scouts have found internationally in about 3 seasons. Bad luck i think
8/9/2016 3:33 PM
I have done that. Towards end of season when most teams don't have money. I made a high bid and was leading and then preceded to lower my bids and saved more than $2 million when I signed them. You have to do it early on in bidding or risk them signing with team that left their bid on the table just as Mike pointed out. Got a SS that was a 92 OA, so it paid off and I still had money to get a few more decent prospects. I think I paid 12.7 million or something when I originally bid over $15 million.
8/18/2016 5:59 PM
And no it didn't **** them off. I don't know, but maybe they fired their agent after they found out what they could have gotten. :)
8/18/2016 6:01 PM
Got a pitcher this morning for 7.1 mil. When I saw him, I guessed at his market value and bid 7.1. I was top offer. He's only maybe-good, definitely not a superstar, so I backed my offer off to 5.1. Someone else had me beat, so I bumped back to 7.1 and the other guy didn't go with me. But yeah, you definitely take the chance that the player will sign during that time you're not #1.

8/18/2016 8:30 PM
International/Free agent negotiating Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.