I like to use this stat (Runs Created per 27 outs) when searching for players. It is a "rate" stat, for those who are not familar with it. It is used to approximate the expected number of runs your offense would score in a game if you batted nothing but that player's season over and over again.

Anyway, I was looking at Bert Campaneris earlier. His last two seasons are '81 and '83. Here are his AVG/OBP/SLUG for those two seasons, as well as his RC27 as listed by WIS:

'81: .256/.295/.341 for RC27 of 3.63
'83: .322/.355/.357 for RC27 of 3.96

It seemed to me that the 1983 number was not high enough, at least compared to 1981. So I googled the formula and calculated it for both seasons; I got about the same number that WIS did for 1981, but got 4.61 for 1983. Which is a pretty big difference.

Anybody else notice that RC27 is off? Is this a systemic bug or just a scrivner's error or something?
8/9/2016 3:14 PM (edited)
RC Runs Created (((Hits + BB + HBP - CS - GIDP) * (TB + .26 * (BB - IBB + HBP) + .52 * (SH + SF + SB))) / (AB + BB + HBP + SH+ SF))
RC27 Runs Created per 27 Outs (RC / ((AB - Hits + CS) / 25.5))

I'm sure you're aware of these but here are the 2 formulas in calculating the stats, I didn't do the math but I can't see it being to far off. From my experience it is not a good "stat predictor" as far as in season production, so I went away from it. It really favors power hitters and somewhat high SB% guys. I do use the RC stat in the performance history quite a bit as a tool if I'm having difficulty choosing between a couple players but even there some players numbers are off due to small sample size.
8/12/2016 1:31 PM
www.baseball-reference.com has 3.6 for 1981 and 3.8 for 1983.

They may be using slightly different versions of the formulas than WIS, but the numbers look right to me.
8/12/2016 4:53 PM
When I calculate it using the versions of the formulas posted by duece, I get 3.63 for 1981 and 3.96 for 1983, the exact same numbers as WIS is using.

I don't see any error here.
8/12/2016 4:59 PM

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.