A real recruiting fix! Topic

Is there anything in the system to say after recruiting that will fix the crappiest of all walkons joking your team. Could their be a preferred walkon and if he doesn't pan out he jumps back into the recruiting pool as an eligible transfer? Now that a freaking fix!
so say my buffalo team (Phelan) loses a battle or gets poached (like Uconn does me every other season lol) I'm out on time and money to recruit how about getting a preferred walkon within a 100 miles or so on a year by year walk on basis. If he doesn't work out let him go if he does offer a scholly. If he's let go he goes into the transfer status. Obviously a top 200 recruit is not going to be a walk on but what about a 500 ish guy who no d2 or d1 offer for example...

I I think it's brilliant........but then again it's my idea......
feed back!?!?
8/12/2016 10:24 AM
Walk-ons have been upgraded. They should now at least be "serviceable" if you need to use them in a game. They're not going to be great but they are much better than they were.
8/12/2016 10:32 AM
It's complicated. Short answer, great idea, but it creates the wrong incentives. Basically, the 1st & 2nd season of the Beta had really good walk-ons. That produces weird incentives and was nixed. Seble doesn't, and on this point it's hard to disagree, want to produce incentives to take walk-ons.

Now, at the end of recruiting, you will be able to offer scholarships and sign players, potentially, with no effort and no cost. You would probably be able to assign AP, even if your budget was already spent. Also, and this is worse in some ways, the game will now auto-sign recruits to bring your team to 9 scholarship athletes (and limit you to 3 walk-ons). Personally, I'm not a fan of that, but they will be signed by "sim-AI" so I believe you could rescind the scholarship at the start of recruiting cycle #2 and receive additional AP (& budget?). Clear as mud?
8/12/2016 10:39 AM

In reference to what rogelio states above, this is a walk on I offered a schollie to on my D1 team after the first season and before they got dialed back. He still has about 4-6 points of growth in A, Spd, and BH, and he's still black in D, LP, PE, PA. To reiterate though the walk on's generated in subsequent seasons were not nearly as good ... but still much better than they are in the game today.

Scott Stroup

PG760
ATHLETICISM 76 5
SPEED 87 5
REBOUNDING 1
DEFENSE 77 4
SHOT BLOCKING 5 1
LOW-POST 32 5
PERIMETER 75 11
BALL HANDLING 82 8
PASSING 87 13
WORK ETHIC 100
STAMINA 75 7
DURABILITY 63 16
FT SHOOTING A-
8/12/2016 10:51 AM
and they got dialed back so that is irrelevant because they won't be that good
8/12/2016 10:53 AM
In real life a D1 walkon would be a solid player on a d2 team. Or even lower D1 school depending on the quality of the program they have walked on for. If it's not in the cards ok I understand. Just wanted to put my two cents in
8/12/2016 1:06 PM
Agreed joco. As I mentioned earlier, the example I cited above got dialed back in later rounds. I looked for a better example of a later season walk-on but the seasons already rolled in beta so they were all removed from the rosters. For the most part I think the D1 walkons did get scaled back to resemble a solid D2 type player. I think the goal was to have players who you could play in an emergency but not one that would reward you.
8/12/2016 1:12 PM
Posted by joco45215 on 8/12/2016 1:06:00 PM (view original):
In real life a D1 walkon would be a solid player on a d2 team. Or even lower D1 school depending on the quality of the program they have walked on for. If it's not in the cards ok I understand. Just wanted to put my two cents in
+1

Interesting system in New HD: D3 teams can grab D1 talent. D1 takes D2-quality walkons. Players are cool with this setup and apparently have never heard of the Junior College option.
8/12/2016 1:29 PM
Most players (elite) go to juco to get eligible. So non qualifiers would still go there. And any others who didn't get the invite or chance at a school
8/12/2016 2:06 PM
A real recruiting fix! Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.