Five Minute Scouting in HD 3.0 Topic

Posted by jsajsa on 8/15/2016 6:15:00 AM (view original):
I don't want to argue over to how to best recruit, but what is blatantly obviously to everyone is that this new system is going to be more intensive and more time consuming, so for the life of me I can't figure out one of Seble's excuses for this as it will be easier for new players to pick up... I don't see it at all.
+1

easier in D1 maybe... Not in D2 or D3 where there will be so many things to take into comsideration to be competitive... Don't forget all recruits are fair game.
8/15/2016 7:37 AM
I'm not sure about easier. But POSSIBLY more fun for new coaches since there is more to do during the season.

But I definitely think new coaches are at a disadvantage initially since we can now recruit much better players. Going to be horribly imbalanced I think. I'm still hoping Seble changes it.
8/15/2016 8:21 AM
"How do you mean Mully? Is it this: At the very beginning of the year, a player that favors a certain Offense or Defense or play style does not list you as high until your team starts playing games, even if your team matches them. Once you start playing, it will list you as Very high at that point. You can still see which ones will match you, but it's not as obvious."

Results for Style Preference change throughout the season
8/15/2016 9:00 AM
Posted by mullycj on 8/15/2016 9:00:00 AM (view original):
"How do you mean Mully? Is it this: At the very beginning of the year, a player that favors a certain Offense or Defense or play style does not list you as high until your team starts playing games, even if your team matches them. Once you start playing, it will list you as Very high at that point. You can still see which ones will match you, but it's not as obvious."

I dont like the style preference either. I'd like to see style preference replaced with something like "future priorities", with the preferences being "Academic" or "Go Pro". Team GPA under the coach being the primary factor - a lower team GPA means the coach spends more time developing skills, but may also run risk of losing eligibility occasionally. Obviously, this could change during the process as well, but the coach has more direct control over this, and it can be more stable over the long haul.
8/15/2016 11:04 AM

I think they only change if you change your offense, defense or playing style once the season progresses. If you keep those the same, I don't think anything changes. I know the players don't change the preferences, but your team might change if you change it, and therefore a player might prefer your new offense. Are we saying the same thing?
8/15/2016 11:04 AM
Posted by chapelhillne on 8/15/2016 11:04:00 AM (view original):

I think they only change if you change your offense, defense or playing style once the season progresses. If you keep those the same, I don't think anything changes. I know the players don't change the preferences, but your team might change if you change it, and therefore a player might prefer your new offense. Are we saying the same thing?
I think what he's saying is that styles (not sets) like "perimeter offense" or "strong defense" aren't well defined, and can change for your program from year to year, and even mid-season, based on who is getting shots, what teams you're playing, etc.
8/15/2016 11:08 AM
this is very helpful

I remain concerned, that an approach like this will put one at a disadvantage vs people who spend hours clicking through lots of recruits, spending less of their scouting budget on broad quick searches and finding the diamonds in teh rough that are so rewarding.

I will try a season of the new game, but remain a skeptic based on what I have seen and heard
8/15/2016 11:09 AM
Posted by pkoopman on 8/15/2016 11:09:00 AM (view original):
Posted by chapelhillne on 8/15/2016 11:04:00 AM (view original):

I think what he's saying is that styles (not sets) like "perimeter offense" or "strong defense" aren't well defined, and can change for your program from year to year, and even mid-season, based on who is getting shots, what teams you're playing, etc.
Ah - that makes sense. I am not a huge fan of that preference either. I think that is one that can only go as high as Good, so it may not be as important as some of the others.
8/15/2016 11:14 AM
Posted by mamxet on 8/15/2016 11:09:00 AM (view original):
this is very helpful

I remain concerned, that an approach like this will put one at a disadvantage vs people who spend hours clicking through lots of recruits, spending less of their scouting budget on broad quick searches and finding the diamonds in teh rough that are so rewarding.

I will try a season of the new game, but remain a skeptic based on what I have seen and heard
Once you get on the new 3.0 screen mamxet, look at some of the filters. I think the idea is to get your list of all prospects in your area, get to level 4, then do some filters, especially filters on preferences among the prospects you like. There is also a screen where you can take all of your best prospects and it shows all of them on one screen with all of the preferences, and that's really helpful as well.
8/15/2016 11:25 AM
Posted by jsajsa on 8/15/2016 6:15:00 AM (view original):
I don't want to argue over to how to best recruit, but what is blatantly obviously to everyone is that this new system is going to be more intensive and more time consuming, so for the life of me I can't figure out one of Seble's excuses for this as it will be easier for new players to pick up... I don't see it at all.
scouting is way more spread out, and the importance of potential is much more obvious (in the old game, you could recruit players on starting ratings and think you're doing a good job if you hadn't read the forums to see about FSS). I think those two factors will be pluses for new players. added complexity may be a minus, but I'm not 100% sure (because a new player will only have one team and will have their whole first season to figure this stuff out)
8/15/2016 6:15 PM
O.R.....
the real question is:

did you win the 3 day golf tourney?
8/18/2016 6:33 AM
Scouting nationally, using most camps (and FSS, of course). I've got 3 primary targets, 10 secondary targets, and 13 backups identified. Filtering down the ~ 400 player recruit pool to those targets took about 20 minutes. 18k left (at D1) in the scouting budget, if I need it.

8/18/2016 5:16 PM
◂ Prev 12
Five Minute Scouting in HD 3.0 Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.