Do hitting categories that pitchers increase in affect their overall rating? Like a pitcher who increases in like contact or throwing strength or accuracy, or fielding, does that affect his overall rating or is it just like a bonus?
8/15/2016 11:15 PM
Yes, it affects his Overall. All ratings feed into the Overall, which is why some high-Overall players don't hit or pitch as well as you might expect.
And lower Overall players can outperform them.
8/15/2016 11:37 PM
Thanks. I guess that answers my other question that I've always wondered. Some guys have great pitching ratings like stamina, control, vs l and r, and good pitches and their rating is like 74 while some pitchers seem just ok and don't have as good of ratings or at least similar and are rated like an 80
8/15/2016 11:48 PM
Could be DUR/STM.
8/16/2016 5:23 AM
Hitting ratings are going to have little impact on OVR for pitchers in relative terms (or absolute terms for that matter). The vast majority of P's average between 10 - 25 points per bating rating (CON through EYE). Average fielding ratings for P's seem to have a much wider variance though and probably have a bit more impact on OVR. One more reason to pay little attention to OVR in most situations.

Agree with Mike, DUR/STA is probably the main culprit.
8/16/2016 7:06 AM
This is my 5th season of Hardball Dynsasty and I just barely figured out the importance of durability when I drafted a good pitcher last year but he takes 8 days to recover from a start. Anyway two pitchers i have are why I ask.

Pedro Oropesa
https://www.whatifsports.com/HBD/Pages/Popups/PlayerRatings.aspx?pid=6286063

King Choice
https://www.whatifsports.com/HBD/Pages/Popups/PlayerRatings.aspx?pid=7276235

Oropesa's Durability is better 24 vs 19, but Choice has the better stamina with 92 vs 85.
Other than that they have very similar ratings except gb/fb, velocity, and arm strength and accuracy, but Oropesa is an 82 and Choice is a 74. I don't see an 8 point disparity when their pitching ratings are very similar. And I see other situations like this.

8/16/2016 4:47 PM
40-50 inning difference. One guy can throw 180ish, the other 225ish.
8/16/2016 4:58 PM
Even having a 92-85 advantage in stamina?
8/16/2016 4:59 PM
The stats show it. The 19 DUR guy can throw the same number of pitches but will need 5 days off. He'll make 26-28 starts. 24 DUR needs 4 days. 32-34 starts. 7 innings a start as neither should throw over 100-105 pitches.
8/16/2016 5:04 PM
Thanks for clearing that up. So durability really may be the most important pitching category?
8/16/2016 5:36 PM

Slightly OT, but guys like Player Profile: Vitas Erickson - Hardball Dynasty Baseball | WhatIfSports are workhorses. With ratings like 34/88 DUR/STA (and effective pitch ratings) guy can push close to 300 IP a season if managed properly. Highest I've seen is 335 IP from a guy with 37/100

Edit: Just noticed your post hit before mine. No there is no most important as deficiences in one rating can be mitigated in other ratings. You have to look at the player as a whole. I like to think of it in terms of DUR gets you through the regular season but elite primary pitching ratings wins championships. In drafts, I'll take the guy with lower DUR/STA (within reason) but superior pitching ratings

Edit2: If what you mean by "most important" is "has the greatest weighted effect on OVR" then yes that would be a correct statement. But again, OVR is a newbie trap and has little value in the evaluation of a player. Take Donatello Willis as an example. Head and shoulders the best hitter in his world. But his 55 DUR suppresses his OVR rating to a 75. This is a guy you want crushing teams in the post season. Give him a half decent backup/platoon to spell him during the regular season and ride him into the ground in the playoffs. He was taken 10th in the draft (probably because too many owners focus on OVR) but should have been top3, at least.
8/16/2016 6:30 PM (edited)
This a good pitching example. 20/54. Essentially, when used as a starter, he throws 55 pitches every 5th day. He seldom gets the win because he doesn't pitch 5 innings. But he gives more 4 very good innings. I just have to build my staff to account for this. So "most important" can mean many things.

Player Profile: Will Mahoney - Hardball Dynasty Baseball | WhatIfSports
8/16/2016 9:34 PM
OVR is a composite rating of value, not talent. DUR/INJ/STAM have quantifiable value, as do "intangibles" such as Patience (re-signability and demotability) and Makeup (longevity, development, injury recovery). DUR/STAM/INJ have value because the season is 162-185 games long, not 1. PAT and MKP have value because your franchise goes on longer than 1 season.

The only individual ratings that are completely useless are pitching attributes for position players, speed for pitchers, all hitting stats for AL pitchers (although sometimes simmy does use pitchers to pinch-hit which blows my mind), temper which is a randomness attribute, bunting for power-hitters (most hitters in general actually), and I suppose push/pull probably doesn't do anything either. For pitchers and everyday position players, DUR and STAM and INJ are very important. For extreme-platoon players, they are not. In occasional circumstances these attributes will skew a player's OVR upwards, but in general OVR is perfectly reasonable.
8/17/2016 6:07 PM
Posted by kartchy on 8/16/2016 5:36:00 PM (view original):
Thanks for clearing that up. So durability really may be the most important pitching category?
The ability to get outs (Splits and Ps) and avoid danger (Control) will always be most important, but Durability is incredibly important to team composition.

If you target high-dur SPs, you only need 3-4 good starters instead of 5, with maybe 1 long reliever/ spot starter. If you target high-dur RPs they can pitch 100 appearances if you restrict their pitch counts properly

Player Profile: Melky Quixote Player Profile: Takashi Wanatabe Player Profile: Christy Hampton Player Profile: Derrik Hayes

Player Profile: Richard Tatum Player Profile: Oswaldo Cueto Player Profile: Junior Dotel Player Profile: Adrian Sparks

(an entire season will be about 8.8 IP/game x162 = 1425-1460.) Those 8 pitchers will combine for 1300-1350 IP or about 90% of a season's innings. The 4 starters themselves add up to about 975 (67%). Most teams need a standard 5 starters to get thru 2/3 of the season, that Seattle team only needs 4. I can spend money on the rest of my roster or in other budget categories (medical, extra draft scouting, extra cash for free agents, extra cash to absorb salary dumps in trades, etc)
8/17/2016 6:27 PM
One season I ran my AA team with all 4 tandem spots and then 4 relievers - that's what the sta/dur combos dictated and it worked perfectly.
8/17/2016 9:25 PM

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.