I haven't played HBD in probably 18 months, but just got back into it. I've always tried to build pitching staffs around really good SuA type guys, like 30 STA + 70+ DUR, I love those guys that will give you 120+ IP in the SuA role, assuming they have good control and good splits.

Is it worth putting a really solid bullpen guy with 56 STA as a SuA to maximize innings? I'm just 3 games into the season, and he's been my LRA guy all three games and has not yet appeared in a game, yet my SuA/SuB guys have already combined for 8 innings.

Basically he's my best bullpen arm and I want to maximize his IP, but the 56 STA (though only 18 DUR) is perplexing me a bit on the best way to utilize him.

Thanks in advance.
8/19/2016 10:30 AM
Perhaps he's more suited as a starter with maybe a 75 target pitch count, max 90 pitches or something? Never know the best way to use those mid-50s STA guys.
8/19/2016 10:32 AM
Find a partner for him and slot him as a tandem starter.
8/19/2016 10:40 AM
Have you used tandem starters in your ML rotation? I have a couple guys coming up who one lacks stamina and one lacks durability I didn't know what to do with, maybe I can tandem start them.
8/19/2016 10:54 AM
I would use him as a SuA and make his pitch count around 20/30. That's worked for me on numerous occasions...
9/5/2016 7:22 AM
This guy had DUR/ST 18/58 at peak. I used him as SuA most of his career, pitch count 25/35, and got 60 games, 90-100 IP a year out of him, mostly in the 7th and 8th innings of close games.

You could also start your guy every 5th day with a 45/50 PC; he'd give you about 10 more IP a year that way. But that's about all he can handle.
9/5/2016 9:55 PM
That's how I use guys with that DUR/STA combo, assuming their splits, control, etc, are up to the task. I just use the recommended pitch counts, and they're usually good for 100+ quality innings a season.
9/8/2016 5:10 PM

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.