FlipBook Scouting Guide Topic

great job guys. very generous of you to spend so much time on something that really should be done by WIS.
8/21/2016 1:47 PM
Thanks - we both love the game. And hopefully it will give people a positive first experience with scouting, so that we can retain as many users as possible. Like I said Benis is now doing most of the work. I have the easy part - converting a word document into a PDF, and then uploading it into the flip books program we use for our magazine. The links for the table of contents takes the most time for me.
8/21/2016 2:14 PM
I'm working on the recruiting portion first.

Honestly most of the work was completed up front by Chapel and is in the pinned post. I'm just putting it in a format that may be a little easier to follow with screenshots and stuff.

Either way, hopefully it comes out looking awesome and helps folks get into the game.
8/21/2016 2:21 PM
this is great work chap, but the decision not to even try to address the EE problem in the new game means that I am going away. It has been fun and I admire your effort.

Too many elements of the new game are just dead wrongheaded in my view. I've dropped three of my four remaining teams. I'll probably do a season of the new game in Naismith and then just leave my remaining seasons behind. I have long been disappointed at the lack of effort to improve the game incrementally and I dont think I want to play a game that has the flaws the new game introduces.

a great effort, chaps, by a great coach and competitor. Wish that you were in charge of the game - I bet you would have made some improvements and thought more carefully about changes.
8/21/2016 10:21 PM
I'd be constantly tweaking it if I ran it, but I'd probably make a lot of people mad by changing too many things - LOL. I think it is hard because no matter what you do, you are never going to make everyone happy and you're bound to make some mad.

I am hoping they still address the EE issue. It's been talked about a lot. It may not be as big of an issue after a few seasons because I believe that the elite players will be spread over many more teams than they are now. So if you lose one or two players every year or two, I don't think that will be a total nightmare. Two might be tough, but one would not be too difficult to recover from. If it is like it is now, where sometimes you have 3 or more EEs, that would be very tough. But again, I don't think the elite teams will be able to land as many top recruits as they do now because there is so much competition for the top players. And I like that, even though a lot of my teams are like that. I am still going to go for elite recruits, but I am also going to try to get more players that are not as good the first year but have big upsides.
8/21/2016 10:52 PM
Posted by bfflcommish on 8/21/2016 12:31:00 PM (view original):
Perhaps something should be mentioned about walk-ons not under scholarship...rather than simply highlighting graduating Seniors???
Do you get credit for an open scholarship/roster position when determining the Scouting and/or Recruiting budgets? I don't think the answers are necessarily intuitively obvious so it might be worth clarification with a simple line of text or two.
I just added this to the forum that is posted, right above the budgets. I'll email Benis and mention it to him as well, in case he didn't see this post.
8/21/2016 10:58 PM
Looks very good guys. Thanks for the hard work.
8/22/2016 9:05 AM
Posted by hughesjr on 8/22/2016 9:05:00 AM (view original):
you're back!
8/22/2016 1:02 PM (edited)
Posted by hughesjr on 8/22/2016 9:05:00 AM (view original):
+1 - Nice to see Hughes back!
8/22/2016 12:09 PM
Very good work. Clear, consise, information without a bunch of "filler" and opinions. I think most will find this very helpful. Great job, guys!
8/22/2016 1:19 PM
Posted by kashmir75 on 8/22/2016 1:19:00 PM (view original):
Very good work. Clear, consise, information without a bunch of "filler" and opinions. I think most will find this very helpful. Great job, guys!
Good to hear. Concise is what we were going for!

The recruiting portion is looking a little more wordy but I'll try to trim the fat.
8/22/2016 1:32 PM
Chapel - That is bad ***! Thanks for preparing that!
8/22/2016 2:52 PM
LOL - Thanks Hawk. I had hernia surgery a couple of weeks ago, and was on pain medicine, which gave me a lot of energy for some reason. Plus I couldn't really do anything physical, so I decided to work on it. Benis has made the appearance really look great, so he definitely deserves equal credit.
8/22/2016 3:44 PM
Great job guys! Thanks for putting the time in to make this guide!
8/22/2016 3:50 PM
Wanted to get some opinions on the format. Do you guys prefer paragraph style or bullet points? I did mostly bullets on the scouting and I liked it but as I'm doing the recruiting portion, I'm tending to do more paragraphs for some reason. Here's an example- which is better?

Home Visits
Once unlocked, Home Visits are the typical way to generate effort and increase interest with a recruit. The cost of an HV will increase with distance from recruit. However, unlike in HD 2.0, the cost increase is very linear and does not arbitrarily jump up in cost once you hit a threshold.
The minimum cost for an HV is $200 but the recruit must be <3 miles away. The maximum cost for a HV is $1,000 and includes any recruits >2700 miles away.
You can send as many HVs as you want in a cycle until you reach the 20 HV max threshold. No team, including SIMs, can provide more than 20 HVs for a single player. There is no limit on number of HVs that a recruit can accept from all teams combined. Unlike HD 2.0, HVs can’t be rejected by a recruit.
The only place you can send HVs is under the “recruit” tab on the player card – refer to previous image.

Or

Home Visits
  • Requires recruiting effort to unlock
  • Cost increases with distances but arbitrary jump in cost at certain threshold has been eliminated
  • Min cost is $200 for recruits <3 miles away
  • Max cost is $1,000 for recruits >2,700 miles away
  • Can send maximum of 20 HVs per recruit total and can send up to 20 in a single cycle. No limit on total HVs a recruit can receive from all other schools combined
  • HVs can’t be rejected and can only be sent from the ‘recruit’ tab on the player card

8/22/2016 7:53 PM
◂ Prev 123 Next ▸
FlipBook Scouting Guide Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.