Many are still here on the site. Some have moved over to HD. Others just don't play as much as before. It got boring for some, with years of no updates. Some have given it up. This game doesn't provide anything close in revenue like before. We are the JV team...
8/24/2016 10:59 PM
Posted by DoctorKz on 8/24/2016 10:59:00 PM (view original):
Many are still here on the site. Some have moved over to HD. Others just don't play as much as before. It got boring for some, with years of no updates. Some have given it up. This game doesn't provide anything close in revenue like before. We are the JV team...
Well like, what type of updates would this site need? And also, when did FOX buy this website. I haven't seen one advertisement?
8/25/2016 1:34 AM
try running a league that replays the 2015 MLB season

this is what's available
format games teams playoff teams NL teams/div AL teams/div interleague play? balanced schedule?
1998-2000 162 30 8 5/5/6 5/4/5 Yes Yes
2001-2008 162 30 8 5/5/6 5/4/5 Yes No
1977-1993 162 28 4 7/7 7/7 No Yes
1994-1996 162 28 8 5/4/5 5/4/5 No Yes
1997 162 28 8 5/4/5 5/4/5 Yes Yes
1977-1992 162 26 4 6/6 7/7 No Yes
Standard WIS 162 24 8 4/4/4 4/4/4 Yes No
Alternate A 162 24 2 12 12 No Yes
1969-1976 162 24 4 6/6 6/6 No Yes
Alternate F 162 20 4 5/5 5/5 Yes Yes
1962-1968 162 20 2 10 10 No Yes
1961 162 18 2 8 10 No Yes
Alternate E 162 16 4 4/4 4/4 Yes Yes
Alternate B 162 16 4 4/4 4/4 No Yes
1901-1903 140 16 2 8 8 No Yes
1904-1960 154 16 2 8 8 No Yes
Alternate C 162 12 2 6 6 No Yes
Alternate D 162 12 2 6 6 Yes Yes

8/25/2016 8:33 AM
This post has a rating of , which is below the default threshold.
Posted by mixtroy on 8/25/2016 3:21:00 PM (view original):
It's really simple. If, for whatever reason, you're not happy with the game, then just stop playing it instead of whining about it in the forums. WIS doesn't MAKE anyone play. You keep playing bc you CHOOSE to keep playing, plain and simple.
We play it cuz we love it. But we want changes because this game does get stale and that's the main reason why everyone left. We just want this to grow and reach the potential it can.
8/25/2016 6:13 PM
HD is their money maker. They aren't gonna put time and money into a secondary project.
8/25/2016 6:21 PM
I agree that the game can get stale after playing many many seasons. But all in all, you have to admit that its a pretty good game. I can't think of a better baseball sim game as good as WIS.
8/26/2016 12:05 PM
I enjoy WIS but its because its baseball not necessarily the site and its metrics. I honestly think the site has woefully failed to keep up in the gaming market place. I have been here since 2002 and I made the case previously that WIS needs to change to a much more visual World of Warcraft type of game where I actually see Walter Johnson on the mound and The Babe in RF. Graphics wise this is entirely possible with today's technology. I would be willing to pay substantially more for this experience.
9/9/2016 9:00 AM
Posted by popfischer on 9/9/2016 9:00:00 AM (view original):
I enjoy WIS but its because its baseball not necessarily the site and its metrics. I honestly think the site has woefully failed to keep up in the gaming market place. I have been here since 2002 and I made the case previously that WIS needs to change to a much more visual World of Warcraft type of game where I actually see Walter Johnson on the mound and The Babe in RF. Graphics wise this is entirely possible with today's technology. I would be willing to pay substantially more for this experience.
Hell yeah, and **** Java as well. Can't do LIVE because of it. But they gotta "rewrite the code". And since FOX bought this site, and FOX sucks ***, I don't see this ever happening. RIP Whatifsports
9/9/2016 3:37 PM
I haven't been able to play live for at least a couple of years now. Maybe I'm too dumb to figure it out, but it used to be a simple thing. I actually miss it.
9/10/2016 11:33 AM
Posted by d_rock97 on 8/25/2016 1:34:00 AM (view original):
Posted by DoctorKz on 8/24/2016 10:59:00 PM (view original):
Well like, what type of updates would this site need? And also, when did FOX buy this website. I haven't seen one advertisement?
As has been said, a big reason WIS gave us for the dearth of updates since about 2007 is that they need to change languages a/o database structures, a/o... something. If I recall correctly, some brief time after Fox bought the site, they did a major update, but then they got rid of some of their changes, because it made the games too complex/slow.

Actually, market priced salaries is a great change, though I can see how those who (wear conical paper hats and sit in corners to ;-) play only high-cap teams with big name players don't like it. I have no tears for them.

One change they did make "late" (or is it early? -- around 2006 or '7, I'd guess) was to artificially bump batting "by 10%," whatever that means. That was fairly infuriating then and is causing more pain now, since the market-based salaries, because it's more costly to put out a good pitching team. It's really showing up now in OL's and lots of Themes, as it always has in progressives.. They need to reverse that lame change.

Other sim-important updates they should do have been requested in their old forum for it. They include modifying algorithms so that the statistical curves of dead ball pitchers during each of those early seasons don't so absurdly limit the home runs of more modern batters (while keeping dead-ball era themes including progressives what they are). Same, to a more limited degree with WWII seasons. That can be done in any two or more ways.

SLB used to be state of the art and the programmers justly took pride in refining the simulation according to the most advanced statistical analyses. I don't know what S-o-M and others are putting out nowdays (though I intend to find out) but SLB could bounce right back to the top and continue to be a real, popular moneymaker, if they just invested in it.

As for animation graphics so you can see Rollie Fingers' grinning under his proud handlebars on the mound, or Reggie Jackson's open collar flapping in his own breeze -- good grief, if you want that, hope you can find it elsewhere. Don't put that kind of burden on these guys.
9/11/2016 8:59 PM (edited)
BTW, Hardball Dynasty has its own problem(s) if not corrected just lately. Owners (GM's) have found a "loophole" where they can bring their budgets in scouting and other areas down to minimum and load up for free agents, including a continuous supply of internationals that are nearly guaranteed to pan out. That makes it so those who prefer to do it the old school way of bringing up players through the minors and knowing what's really going on in the league are put at a disadvantage.

That loophole tended to show up more after WIS instituted a partially workable method of preventing or punishing GM's who would tank their teams in order to gain high draft picks.

It got to be fairly nasty over there, to my tastes, and I got tired of it.

(Also, to be more true-to-life they should really put more variability into the sim, for player development and ups and downs in player lifetimes, compared to scouting reports.)
9/11/2016 9:13 PM (edited)
So, to "Rate SLB," on a scale of 1-10, I give it a C.
9/11/2016 10:52 PM
If we all had the same negative opinion of this game, the site would have died long ago. Owners would have abandoned by the droves. As it is, there's enough revenue and GP generated to offset the cost of supporting it. Additional enhancements and functionality would only occur if there was a change in strategy by FOX. If that's unlikely, the SIM will maintain it's current state (WiS grade: C) Which brings us to the next sentiment, that it's a passing grade. I still get a what-if-woody looking for themes that appeal to me, drafting a team, anticipating results and my skills and pratfalls of being a team owner. Hell, even thinking up a snappy team name is fun. I enjoy reading the forums that allows me to learn from the likes of you guys. This fraternity of owners makes me laugh, allows me to learn and makes me a better owner, even if not a successful one (WiS grade: B+) My other perspective is that it's still a game and not a way of life, or even one that influences my lifestyle. I don't get ticked because of the lack/quality or upgrades; of mechanics and algorithms, or logic in the way it's constructed, I don't have a negative opinion of the CS team or department. Maybe I don't have the passion some of you have and maybe I should. Now, if What-a-Burger, or Taco Bell screws up my $7 order---that's a valid reason to get ****** off! (WiS grade: B)

At the end of the day, I'm pretty content with the way WiS conducts itself. If I win a Championship or come in 4th place, it's most likely about me. I'll continue to create teams, join leagues and hopefully find ways to win games more than I lose. Peace Out!

Steve
9/12/2016 9:24 AM
I get an amount of enjoyment equal to the amount of money and time i put into it, so I continue to play. I play in 4 progs an 1 or 2 ols and themes. I don't run or commish any, which i imagine to be frustrating. so put me down for a 7.
9/12/2016 8:20 PM
◂ Prev 123 Next ▸

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.