I have never seen this before Topic

I'm in the middle of recruiting in Warner. I am recruiting a player that has been "undecided" from the start. He is a pretty decent player with good potential and a good rating. He is in my vision. Through all of the recruiting cycles he has never accepted any of my (19) campus visits nor has he accepted any head coach home visits. No D1's are on him (that I can see since he is still undecided) yet it perplexes me that he has not accepted even ONE of my CV. I have never had this happen to me in my many years of being in this league. Usually you can get an undecided to go green (if nobody else is after him) relatively easily. What am I missing. Why won't he visit? Do I have bad breath or body odor? Did my assistant coach bang his girlfriend? What gives? Any help would be appreciated.
8/23/2016 2:51 PM
When nothing else works go after him with multiple scouting trips. He can't turn them down.
8/23/2016 3:19 PM
I did. He accepted those but during the last cycle I sent him 5 more campus visits plus head and assistant coach home visits PLUS a guaranteed starting spot as a sophomore. Not only did he decline ALL of these he is now green to a D1AA school (like me) that is 900 miles away where I am only 188 miles away. I can assure you that the other coach didn't offer him as much as me or if he did he spent a million dollars. 24 campus visits, 3 home coach visits, 3 assistant home visits, guaranteed starter as a sophomore, as an undecided and not one of them were accepted by this kid. Now he's green to someone 900 miles away? I don't get it. I mean stormac is a great coach but wtf?
8/23/2016 3:19 PM
If you have the budget, go after him with ONLY scout trips. It will obviously be cheaper for you being local than for the other coach and I have no doubt you can take him; IF you have the budget.(PS:I am Cryptkeeper also)
8/23/2016 3:26 PM
Too late now crypt/mojo. And I do have plenty of $$ to spend on the kid. Lol. I have to laugh. I mean losing this kid isn't all that big of a deal although he looks like a pretty good player. Don't get me wrong, I'm not bitchin' and whining and wanting to send in a ticket or anything. I have just never had this happen to me and was wondering if it had happened to anyone else. NOW THE KICKER.......here is an email he just sent to me in response to my many attempts to recruit him.....and I quote...."Missouri State?.. where have I heard that name before? For some reason suckiest bunch of sucks that ever sucked comes to mind. Hrmn, maybe that is because your team SUCKS!" That's pretty funny. It really is. Never seen that one either. I have only been coaching for 64 seasons, job is very secure, A+ loyalty and rep, 16 CC and 3 NC and my team is the "suckiest bunch of sucks"? Well I can take a hint buddy. Lol. Guess I'll move on. I hope he blows his knee out freshman year. I will PM stormac1969 tho and ask him what type of Mercedes he offered the kid or just exactly what was in that envelope that Lehigh Booster gave the kid.
8/23/2016 3:38 PM (edited)
The other team was probably in on him quite a bit earlier & may have had a significant prestige factor. Also, they may have offered a FR start and a high % of playing time as well. Not sure how much scouting you were doing when he turned down the 19 CV's and some HV's initially.
8/23/2016 4:26 PM
Well...that is new to me. I looked at your team and it doesn't appear you have low prestige (as you stated). I have had an abnormal amount of recruits continually turn down effort from me recently (last 5 seasons or so). I tend to keep plugging away at them with things that they cannot turn down and eventually get them green. I read recently another coach that did 1 CV every cycle until they accepted (this has not worked for me FWIW).

TL;DR - If they are turning you down, drop the CV's and Home Visits and go with scouting trips.
8/23/2016 4:59 PM
It sounds like he is not in your vision.
8/23/2016 5:25 PM
There are some minor factors that could be in play here. An AC phone call might reveal that the guy wants to get away from home when he's looking at schools. That would only play a very small part in decisions, but it MIGHT be a factor here.

There was an old rule of thumb that 3 AC Scout + 3 HC Scouts would turn an undecided "green". Like most rules of thumb, it was not always true (usually you could do so with less) but, especially for a close recruit, 3+3 isn't all that expensive.
8/23/2016 5:41 PM

It sounds like he is not in your vision.

This is probably the answer. You sure he is in your vision?

8/23/2016 5:43 PM
I had a similar situation in my first season at Howard. My vision and prestige was horrible. I verified that he was in my vision, asked about it in the forums, and then followed up with a Wis support ticket. Response to the ticket is below:

Hi Ian,

Please try starting out with some smaller recruiting actions like a few phone calls or mailers. Just because a player is in your vision does not mean they will be easily recruiting.

Thank you.
8/23/2016 8:47 PM
Posted by Mofo2001 on 8/23/2016 3:38:00 PM (view original):
Too late now crypt/mojo. And I do have plenty of $$ to spend on the kid. Lol. I have to laugh. I mean losing this kid isn't all that big of a deal although he looks like a pretty good player. Don't get me wrong, I'm not bitchin' and whining and wanting to send in a ticket or anything. I have just never had this happen to me and was wondering if it had happened to anyone else. NOW THE KICKER.......here is an email he just sent to me in response to my many attempts to recruit him.....and I quote...."Missouri State?.. where have I heard that name before? For some reason suckiest bunch of sucks that ever sucked comes to mind. Hrmn, maybe that is because your team SUCKS!" That's pretty funny. It really is. Never seen that one either. I have only been coaching for 64 seasons, job is very secure, A+ loyalty and rep, 16 CC and 3 NC and my team is the "suckiest bunch of sucks"? Well I can take a hint buddy. Lol. Guess I'll move on. I hope he blows his knee out freshman year. I will PM stormac1969 tho and ask him what type of Mercedes he offered the kid or just exactly what was in that envelope that Lehigh Booster gave the kid.
Not trying to be disrespectful about your past record but your prestige probably would be more dependent on what you have done with your current team. Looking at the current team, beginning season 9, just one CC, and 6 playoff appearances, all those were first round exits except for your one 2nd round appearance. May sound harsh but you took over a team that had won the CC 3 seasons in a row and been to back to back Final 4's. Based on the facts the team is not trending in the direction that it was previously at. Your prestige / performance of your current team has a ways to go before reaching elite level status. Don't know what the other team was but if it was upper echelon, you would have been at a disadvantage based on prestige. The distance would have been favorable but do not know all the other factors such as amount of ships, playoff money and so forth.

Hope that helps explain some of the possible factors.

GL Mofo2001!
8/24/2016 2:24 AM (edited)
I have never seen this before Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.