Recruiting in 3.0 with A+ prestige- need advice Topic

I didn't betatest, so I don't really know how this works. I have Georgetown in Wooden and have an A+ prestige. Normally, I would only be looking at top 100 type recruits. And scrolling over the "top recruits" it looks like they are already scouted to level 1.

So it sounds to me that signing up for camps or hosting a camp will either scout some of these top recruits to level 2, or uncover lower tier recruits to level 1. Unless I'm looking for a guy to redshirt, I'm not sure if I really care to uncover lower tier D1 recruits. Is this a waste of money, or at best an inefficient way to scout top 100 guys to level 2? Would I be better off if I just individually scouted top 100?

My second question is asking my assistant coach to scout players. If I just ask him to "further scout existing players" and I haven't utilized FSS or camps, will he only go after the top 100 recruits?

Looking for advice from someone who betatested a high level prestige team in D1 and what sort of strategies they used in scouting.
8/25/2016 2:58 PM
If you haven't done any other scouting and then do an assistant search on only players already discovered you will advance the top 100 only. I'd recommend filtering the assistant search by position as well when you do this.

I'd further advise you that if you think you're going to be able to get away with only recruiting guys in the top 100 you'll probably have problems depending on how many openings you have ... Just my two cents and others may disagree.
8/25/2016 3:07 PM
Contact me by site mail and I can give you some specific advice, however, you will not be able to just sign a bunch of top 100 guys. First of all, not always worth signing and two, can only max on so many players with recruit $. I would really scout nationally and find the best matching recruits. You will need level 4 to get real numbers for the recruit.
8/25/2016 3:40 PM
yep, get ready to suddenly have to recruit against George Washington, American and other Mid Majors that you previously didn't have to worry about for those top recruits. They can spend the same dollar amount now since they've capped visits. Your A+ prestige will matter little and can be easily combated if the recruit prefers a different offense or defense, wants to be far from home and doesn't care about how much past success you've had.

You'll have to reach further down now that they want everyone to be able to compete.

Should be a hoot !
8/25/2016 3:41 PM
So it sounds like I need to do a more of a shotgun approach to recruiting. How much of a factor are recruit preferences? For example if a recruit prefers a school that is far away, is the multiplier bigger if he's from CA as opposed to TX?

Also, since I have presumably a large scouting budget does it make sense to attend all of the elite camps?
8/25/2016 4:09 PM
i never spent my entire scouting budget and i always attended every camp, so i would, yes
8/25/2016 4:11 PM
I believe there is more value for a distance recruit at further distances but I believe there is also a cap on the multiplier of preferences as well so it's hard to know exactly where the cutoff is.

Preferences are important, but my experience recruiting with a C to C+ prestige was that prestige still matters. Many in the beta would probably dispute this but seble also made a comment in the beta forums saying that despite what many believed prestige is still important.

I would tend to disagree a little with Harmon on whether to attend the elite camps. Personally, I preferred attending elite camps at a distance, and utilizing my on campus camp for nearby recruits along with sending my assistant out. Scouting at a distance can get expensive really quick and honestly I thought the camps, even the elite ones, returned a lot of results for guys I'd never consider.

I think it's also good to reserve some scouting budget for late scouting so I wouldn't try to spend it all up front but since none of it rolls to recruiting effort and can't be carried over there's no reason not to spend it all.
8/25/2016 4:50 PM
Prestige is definitely still important, but so are preferences. A mid-major or low D1 can compete with you for a guy, given the right circumstances (he prefers a rebuild, and matches better with their style/sets). But if all that is equal or even close, an A+ prestige is going to have the advantage. That advantage is more ambiguous now, because they can still win a dice roll, even against tough odds.

I'd say at high D1 you can still rifle with a few; but you'll want to get some some backup options on the line with some attention points, and maybe even a project or two that you're not used to recruiting - the 550 player with plenty of green and blue. If you stay local, you can pretty easily get to a dice roll as "very high" on as many guys as you have scholarships. If you go national, it may be a little more hairy. But there will be competition for those legit top 100 guys, so backup options are important.
8/25/2016 8:38 PM
Posted by possumfiend on 8/25/2016 4:50:00 PM (view original):
I believe there is more value for a distance recruit at further distances but I believe there is also a cap on the multiplier of preferences as well so it's hard to know exactly where the cutoff is.

Preferences are important, but my experience recruiting with a C to C+ prestige was that prestige still matters. Many in the beta would probably dispute this but seble also made a comment in the beta forums saying that despite what many believed prestige is still important.

I would tend to disagree a little with Harmon on whether to attend the elite camps. Personally, I preferred attending elite camps at a distance, and utilizing my on campus camp for nearby recruits along with sending my assistant out. Scouting at a distance can get expensive really quick and honestly I thought the camps, even the elite ones, returned a lot of results for guys I'd never consider.

I think it's also good to reserve some scouting budget for late scouting so I wouldn't try to spend it all up front but since none of it rolls to recruiting effort and can't be carried over there's no reason not to spend it all.
A cap on multiplier? Did seble mention this? I must have missed it, I didn't realize there was a cap.
8/25/2016 9:09 PM
Posted by Benis on 8/25/2016 9:09:00 PM (view original):
Posted by possumfiend on 8/25/2016 4:50:00 PM (view original):

A cap on multiplier? Did seble mention this? I must have missed it, I didn't realize there was a cap.
http://test.whatifsports.net/whatifsports/forums/Posts.aspx?TopicID=420798

seble

Site Staff

"There is a cap on all preferences, both positive and negative."
7/25/2016 1:40 PM
8/25/2016 9:45 PM
Thanks Possum. Great to know going forward.

Do we have any idea what this cap is? So if we already have 4 Very Good matches are we capped? Then it's not worth it to take advantage of the "wants to play" preference by offering promises?
8/27/2016 1:34 PM
Posted by Benis on 8/27/2016 1:36:00 PM (view original):
Thanks Possum. Great to know going forward.

Do we have any idea what this cap is? So if we already have 4 Very Good matches are we capped? Then it's not worth it to take advantage of the "wants to play" preference by offering promises?
Not all preferences are weighted the same (offense/defense are less than the others for example).
Not all grades are identical in value (they are a range of values). So your VG might be weaker than someone else's.
There are individual caps on each preference (ex. prefers to play far away and being 6000+ miles away isn't 3 x better than only being 2000 miles away).
I believe there is a total overall cap for all preference weighting but that hasn't been deciphered by the coaches that participated in the BETA and seble isn't likely to share that info with us.
8/27/2016 3:07 PM
Recruiting in 3.0 with A+ prestige- need advice Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.