The Myth of GD 1.0 Topic

This topic came up a few CJ Sweat Wilkinson Shows ago and I immediately put it in my article idea queue for later discussion. So I finally got some time to write about the persistent myth of GD 1.0 that never seems to die. If you're interested in that history lesson, proceed...

The Myth of GD 1.0
8/26/2016 1:16 PM
Great stuff! Brings back some memories (and nightmares)...
8/26/2016 3:27 PM
Well said, sir.

I started in 1.0. I wasn't around enough to be a great coach, but I studied the way the great coaches built and ran their teams and came to a similar conclusion the run was favored because it minimized uncertainty. To the point I'd read play by play of the best teams going head to head and as soon as one punted, their odds of winning plummeted dramatically. Like watching a poker game where 49 of the cards are aces and you see one player get dealt a 3. I wasn't yet a very good coach, but once I came to the conclusion that's the pinnacle of success, I quit.

I didn't quit because running was the "only way to go" but because the outcomes were so consistent and reliable, and to me that wasn't that interesting.

8/26/2016 7:33 PM
Oh the good Ole days. The best memories I have is trying to figure out the new engines. Also listening to everyone ***** about the engine only to hate the changes... if you can't win it doesn't mean it's broken it means you need to learn more and put more work into it. Or don't... just shut up and enjoy the game. But honestly the game won't change, they don't have developers for WIS anymore. Just some janitor who makes sure the servers stay on.
8/26/2016 11:45 PM
Posted by vhoward415 on 8/26/2016 1:16:00 PM (view original):
This topic came up a few CJ Sweat Wilkinson Shows ago and I immediately put it in my article idea queue for later discussion. So I finally got some time to write about the persistent myth of GD 1.0 that never seems to die. If you're interested in that history lesson, proceed...

The Myth of GD 1.0
True story. Well written. Elite advantage myth still going strong. What do you think of that?
8/27/2016 5:22 PM
Posted by ebel331 on 8/27/2016 5:22:00 PM (view original):

The Myth of GD 1.0
True story. Well written. Elite advantage myth still going strong. What do you think of that?
I think you understate its magnitude and a great many others overstate it. I don't have a number in my head, but if I was forced, I'd say it's somewhere around 20% (all else being equal).

I just switched from Rutgers to Miami (FL) a few seasons back in Dobie. Elite advantage aside, Rutgers had the better recent history. Yet, it was noticeably easier to recruit players - from Top 10 types on down - at Miami. Maybe even more than 20% easier, but it's hard to pin down since I no longer keep that detailed of records.
8/28/2016 7:46 PM
Posted by vhoward415 on 8/28/2016 7:46:00 PM (view original):

The Myth of GD 1.0
I think you understate its magnitude and a great many others overstate it. I don't have a number in my head, but if I was forced, I'd say it's somewhere around 20% (all else being equal).

I just switched from Rutgers to Miami (FL) a few seasons back in Dobie. Elite advantage aside, Rutgers had the better recent history. Yet, it was noticeably easier to recruit players - from Top 10 types on down - at Miami. Maybe even more than 20% easier, but it's hard to pin down since I no longer keep that detailed of records.
Isn't some of that because so many people believe in the elite advantage? Or is this purely from head to head battles?
8/28/2016 9:17 PM
Posted by hitman1979 on 8/28/2016 9:17:00 PM (view original):
Posted by vhoward415 on 8/28/2016 7:46:00 PM (view original):

The Myth of GD 1.0

Isn't some of that because so many people believe in the elite advantage? Or is this purely from head to head battles?
No, I'm talking about turning SimAI recruits green. But that same *increase* in spending power would apply over humans, as well.
8/29/2016 11:26 AM
"Isn't some of that because so many people believe in the elite advantage? Or is this purely from head to head battles?"

There is a built in advantage for the Elite schools. The 'myth' part is the actual size of this advantage. And YES, the way people treat elite schools might actually contribute more to it than the advantage itself!!!

8/29/2016 6:24 PM
And even at 20% advantage (I would suggest the real number is lower but that's another deal)... if an elite has 10 scholarships.. that's $150,000. if we add 20% on that, it's $180k... or only 12 scholarships for a bcs team to be equal to the elite's 10. not exactly mt everest to climb over here
8/29/2016 6:33 PM
Posted by ebel331 on 8/29/2016 6:33:00 PM (view original):
And even at 20% advantage (I would suggest the real number is lower but that's another deal)... if an elite has 10 scholarships.. that's $150,000. if we add 20% on that, it's $180k... or only 12 scholarships for a bcs team to be equal to the elite's 10. not exactly mt everest to climb over here
Right. I don't mean to quibble over the precise advantage of an Elite over a non-Elite. I may be wrong - my "evidence" is purely anecdotal and has not basis in hard data.

I do believe some of the advantage is simply the advantage itself, if that makes sense. The mere knowledge of the xx% advantage existing is enough to dissuade most coaches from doing battle.

Also, there is the second-order advantage: Elites spend less to get Sims off "their" recruits in the first place, leaving additional funds to battle when someone does initiate one. And that's on top of the existing advantage.
8/29/2016 11:21 PM
Great piece, vhoward.

The reason I still play GD (other than the great folks in Wilkinson) is this: I will win in GD 3.0 running 100% (or close to it) out of the Wishbone only. Why? Because, damn it! I agree that it may never be done again. However, just like Nebraska / Oklahoma in the 80s, there needs to be a renaissance of the run game. I grew up watching Army and Yale run the Wishbone (and blocking for it as well). My goal is obviously to win a National Championship, but in the process, if I can have fun, keep my dream alive and hang out with great people like vhoward, CJ, etc., in Wilkinson, then every Dollar I give to the evil Fox Corp is worth it.

Just my two cents.
8/30/2016 11:55 AM
Posted by dalailama12 on 8/30/2016 11:55:00 AM (view original):
Great piece, vhoward.

The reason I still play GD (other than the great folks in Wilkinson) is this: I will win in GD 3.0 running 100% (or close to it) out of the Wishbone only. Why? Because, damn it! I agree that it may never be done again. However, just like Nebraska / Oklahoma in the 80s, there needs to be a renaissance of the run game. I grew up watching Army and Yale run the Wishbone (and blocking for it as well). My goal is obviously to win a National Championship, but in the process, if I can have fun, keep my dream alive and hang out with great people like vhoward, CJ, etc., in Wilkinson, then every Dollar I give to the evil Fox Corp is worth it.

Just my two cents.
This right here perfectly sums up my thoughts of why I still play this game. Also why my offense will be changing in the near future.
8/30/2016 12:59 PM
Posted by truedevil33 on 8/30/2016 12:59:00 PM (view original):
Posted by dalailama12 on 8/30/2016 11:55:00 AM (view original):
Great piece, vhoward.

Just my two cents.
This right here perfectly sums up my thoughts of why I still play this game. Also why my offense will be changing in the near future.
I am also running the Bone on this go around of playing. I am even trying the running QB at W&M although I think that may die out quickly but we shall see what a RS and formation IQ does with my latest recruit in 4 years. I did have a D3 QB rush for almost 1500 yards way back in my first go at GD 1.0.

I tended to "buck" the trend in previous versions and throw or use formations that were not the best. My original run at W&M I primarily used 3-4 as my base D before it was popular and the Pro-Shotgun combo pass heavy O.

8/30/2016 2:33 PM
Interesting and inciteful article. I have learned how to stop the great passing teams in d2. (as much as they can be stopped :)
Gt_Deuce who runs a Consitently Superb d2 NC contender typically passes almost every play. I've been playing with various nuances of my Def and of course recruiting the best defenders I could. I think I've finally got his number.(of course just by stating this it probably means he will slaughter me in our next game :)
8/30/2016 3:16 PM
The Myth of GD 1.0 Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.