Recruiting Guide?? Topic

Sorry I haven't been on the forms in awhile but I was wondering if anyone has posted a recruiting guide for the new update? If so, could someone please post a link to access it. Thanks!!
8/26/2016 5:54 PM
See the pinned thread above "Guide to the new 3.0 HD".
8/26/2016 5:57 PM
The Scouting portion is pretty much done. Maybe some tweaks here and there.

The recruiting portion is still a work in progress but there is some stuff there already. I'll probably finish it this weekend.

Chapel and I are also working on a strategies section too. Will come a little later.
8/26/2016 5:59 PM
Posted by possumfiend on 8/26/2016 5:57:00 PM (view original):
See the pinned thread above "Guide to the new 3.0 HD".
Chapelhillne and benis have done some good work there. It should really be helpful.
8/27/2016 1:01 AM
it'll be interesting to see how recruiting strategies evolve with more active human competition in the world. i only did 2 beta rounds, and the first i was very lost, so this time i had more of an idea what to try. this time i used chapel's 5 minute scouting strategy, then i signed 3 D1 ranked players and a D2 player at my D3 school on about $1000 (TOTAL, i have almost $4k left over in my D3 budget!). my takeaway for D3 was find a bunch of D1 players to unlock in the first session and don't sign anyone then....and then grab whichever ones higher level people don't go after in the second session.

do you guys think this is going to be viable going forward or will this strategy fail with more active human players? i don't have a D3 team outside of the beta, but i'm curious. you also can look at the beta signings and see what many talked about as a potential issue still being there---the massive gulf in quality between human and sim D3 team signings.
8/27/2016 8:56 AM
you'd also think many of the D2 teams will adopt the same strategy. With only a couple dozen D2 coaches recruiting many of those D1 guys dropped uncontested to D3.
It wasn't that difficult for a D2 to knock a D3 team off a player they had offered a scholarship
8/27/2016 9:36 AM
I'm really curious about how recruiting will go in the real worlds vs beta. Think we have at least another week until Wooden starts recruiting right?

There were several changes over the course of Beta that have impacted the ability to 'recruit up'. This past Beta season, it became MUCH more difficult to battle SIMs. 2 seasons ago, at D3, I beat out several D1 Sims without spending a dime or sending any promises. Way too easy in my opinion.

Then this past season, I had to dump most of my budget to beat out a D2 SIM. Personally, I think this is better for the game. If SIMs are neutered and D3 teams start looking like Mid Majors then we have a problem. I think right now it could be okay with more active humans and better Sim recruiting logic but we'll see!

As for strategies, I think a viable strategy is to try to go for these D1/D2 guys but have D3 guys available for backups. Easier said than done but that's what I'll probably be trying to do. D1 guys (who may not be "D1 guys" but studs at D3) WILL slip through the cracks even in the real worlds since it's not like real worlds are completely full or anything. It's going to happen. Hopefully it just doesn't happen too much.
8/27/2016 10:23 AM
yeah I had a sim jump on one of my D1 targets, so I just moved on and signed one decentish D2 player to make up for him. but the 3 D1 guys i did sign--absolutely zero competition, human or sim. I probably could have signed them with just APs. i was trying to avoid battles altogether and did. it'll be interesting if that still works in the real worlds. if it does--way too easy.
8/27/2016 10:54 AM (edited)
My guess is the number of D2 coaches will reduce the amount of D1 players going down to D3 -- there was a small population of D2 coaches in the beta world and I suspect they'll choke off the pipeline in "real" worlds. But with all the D2 humans reaching up into the pool of D1, a D3 program will have its pick of whatever D2 recruits it wants pretty much in much the same fashion as D2 programs can get the D1's they want by just avoiding other human contact and strong-arming Sims. I've been torn how I'm going to handle my D3 program (if I keep it) when the beta gets to Rupp and whether I'd scout D1 or just go straight after the cream of the D2 projected players that I see.
8/27/2016 12:55 PM
Posted by rednu on 8/27/2016 12:55:00 PM (view original):
My guess is the number of D2 coaches will reduce the amount of D1 players going down to D3 -- there was a small population of D2 coaches in the beta world and I suspect they'll choke off the pipeline in "real" worlds. But with all the D2 humans reaching up into the pool of D1, a D3 program will have its pick of whatever D2 recruits it wants pretty much in much the same fashion as D2 programs can get the D1's they want by just avoiding other human contact and strong-arming Sims. I've been torn how I'm going to handle my D3 program (if I keep it) when the beta gets to Rupp and whether I'd scout D1 or just go straight after the cream of the D2 projected players that I see.
Bingo.

Good D3 teams will be basically like a current D2 team. While D3 sims will still be the same. No way you should ever lose to sims in 3.0.
8/27/2016 12:58 PM
I'm not sure you will be able to strong arm all your recruits away from a higher level SIM. They (SIMs) recruit much better now. So, we'll have to see how it shakes out.
8/27/2016 1:12 PM
Posted by hughesjr on 8/27/2016 1:12:00 PM (view original):
I'm not sure you will be able to strong arm all your recruits away from a higher level SIM. They (SIMs) recruit much better now. So, we'll have to see how it shakes out.
Had no trouble strong-arming D1 recruits away from D1 Sim teams throughout beta. Pick targets where the Sim pool is still sitting Very Low, throw the majority of AP's at them one by one, offer the scholarship, offer the CV, 10 minute promise if worried...that gets you to moderate and I have yet to see one that doesn't go searching for a different plan at that point. Admittedly I would probably back off the promises in the real game vs. what I was doing with my beta team,

Might be a different game if the Sim is at moderate or higher level, but as a D2 program I saw "D1 -- Very Low" as synonymous with "this recruit has nobody on them." Maybe I just got lucky, but I never sensed a push back at any time.
8/27/2016 3:08 PM
...or just avoid battles altogether. again, remains to be seen if it will work in the real world, but there was not a single sim from any level on the 3 D1 guys i signed.
8/27/2016 6:57 PM
Recruiting Guide?? Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.