Brewers : Back in First Place Topic

"Can win the division" and "would/should be virtually everybody's favorite" are not equivalent. I'm not disputing the first, just the second.

I know you basically dismissed the "underperforming" play with the Cubs, but facts are facts - Aramis Ramirez has only played 30 games, and they have 2 proven veteran hitters in Bradley and Soriano who couldn't hit their way out of a paper bag in the first half - there's a bunch of things you could reasonably expect to get better in Chicago over the last 2+ months of the season.

I think the Brewers have been fortunate to be where they are, I think the Cubs have been somewhat unfortunate to be where they are, and my best guess is that evens out to a degree over the rest of the season. I think the gap in talent between the teams is more than than the current gap in the standings, and I don't think Halladay necessarily bridges that gap by himself.

I couldn't really care less who wins the Central, but I don't think a Halladay acquisition makes the Brewers a clear favorite - at least not in the same way that a Phillie acquisition of him makes their return to the World Series a forgone conclusion :-)
7/22/2009 8:31 PM
And since it's most likely that Halladay spends the rest of the season with his only impact on a pennant race being helping the Jays be spoilers with the actual contenders in the AL East, it's all probably moot anyhow.
7/22/2009 8:34 PM
I wanna hear the argument for being 2010 favorites!! Hang on, lemme grab a beer.
7/22/2009 8:42 PM
Quote: Originally posted by inkdskn on 7/22/2009I wanna hear the argument for being 2010 favorites!! Hang on, lemme grab a beer.
Halladay/Gallardo for a whole season is the best 1-2 in the division. Every starter on offense except Cameron and Kendall returns. Weeks is back and healthy. Tell me why exactly the Cubs should be so much better in '10 than they are in '09?
7/22/2009 9:24 PM
It looks like Tim Dillard may get the start Tuesday against Washington after pitching a 1 hitter and facing the minimum in his start yesterday. I tought he looked good when he was up last year except 1 really bad outing.
7/23/2009 1:15 PM
Doesn't look like the Brew Crew will get Halladay

http://twitter.com/DKnobler/status/2825623129
7/24/2009 5:25 PM
Kendall batting leadoff again.
7/24/2009 6:32 PM
Where is Rivera? Hethrows 2 good games with Rivera catching and now a bad outing with Kendall.
7/24/2009 10:23 PM
Quote: Originally Posted By danmam on 7/24/2009
Kendall batting leadoff again.
ARGGAAHGHASGHASHAHGAAHAHGAHH
7/24/2009 10:34 PM
I'm proclaiming the season pretty much over. With the Cards getting Holliday, I think the Brewers aren't going to win the division unless they trade for both Cliff Lee and Halladay. And I'd rather see them trade for neither, keep their prospects, assess the trade market over the off-season (Hardy or Hart needs to go for pitching, maybe move Gamel to RF), and try again next year.

Macha had a quote, where he said that playoff teams win a lot of games 4-3, 3-2, 3-1, etc. It seems every time the Brewers score 4 runs they give up 5, or 7. You can't win like that.
7/25/2009 11:51 AM
Yo looked better tonight. Nice to finally win a game he pitched.

Seth McClung to the DL, Tim Dillard called up. Dillard likely to make start on Tuesday. Burns likely back to the pen.
7/25/2009 10:07 PM
If the Brewers don't sweep Washington, they're done.
7/26/2009 10:19 PM
Whether they sweep Washington or not, they're done. And they won't.
7/27/2009 12:15 AM
Mike Burns sent to the minors, y RJ Swindle brought back up.
7/27/2009 1:46 PM
The Escobar for Washburn buzz is nearly deafening. I don't like it.
7/27/2009 2:43 PM
◂ Prev 1...23|24|25|26|27...117 Next ▸
Brewers : Back in First Place Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.