Upcoming Release - NEW SPREADSHEET Topic

Quote: Originally Posted By kirred on 9/02/2008
I'm fighting for Stockton here & I feel it is obvious that his defense is way to low. Does anyone see any problems with Mr. Steals Stockton having such a low defensive rating?
no

steals dont equal defense - sometimes guys who go after steals actually deter good team defense by creating rotation problems

according to the spreadsheet stockton has 80s in many of his major minute seasons which means he is 30 points over the average guy - and he never dips below average which btw when he got old he was

and guess what - he wasnt that great a man-on defender even when he was young - he was adequate - 80s might be high - bigger guards used him up and many in the league were bigger - and it wasnt like he was going to shut down a KJ or Isiah either - he was not a lock down defender by any stretch of the imagination so he should not be given a 90+ rating
9/3/2008 1:32 AM
I agree wholeheartedly with monkee
9/3/2008 2:41 AM
Here's my thing...if they set up these new ratings solely based off of stop percentage, then I don't want anyone suggesting any changes for this deal...let's see how it works and then go from there.
9/3/2008 9:42 AM
Quote: Originally Posted By ashamael on 9/03/2008
I agree wholeheartedly with monkee
As do I. Stockton was a very good overall defender at his best, but really not an amazing one. He was one of the best ever at picking off passes and stripping opponents, but even at his best was not a shut-down man defender in the vein of Frazier or Payton, and opponents frequently looked to post him up. I could see him as high as low 90s for a year or two, but probably no more.
9/3/2008 10:25 AM
for my money the steals are the steals - in terms of sim impact they will help to create turnovers as they should - but that's it - in reality they can end a possession but dont have much impact on FG%

in the matter of stockton we look at his d rating as his effectiveness of impacting his opponent's fg%

now understand his steals are going to factor into stop% in a semi-significant way there too because the stop % looks at factors that account for ending possessions and in turn does impact opp fg% in sim

so Stockton (and his team) gets the benefit of the steals as pertains to creating turnovers but also as pertains to delimiting opp fg%

again do steals impact fg% IRL? not really or at least not so directly as, say, blocked shots but here in the sim they do play a role

so is Stockton cheated with only an 80 rating or is he getting more credit than he is due? I say leave it as is if only because there not a better way to figure it and anyway your boy is getting more than his fair share of impact the way things are
9/3/2008 11:19 AM
Thanks, monkee. Very clear and helpful explanation.
9/3/2008 11:39 AM
Ouch, those are some big salary changes. I had a $57 mil team that's now $3.5 mil over the cap, and a $47 mil team that's now $2.3 over the cap. This will take a while to get the new theme leagues up and running.
9/3/2008 12:52 PM
What happened to theme leagues, I spent money and don't want to be in an open League. Will pending Leagues be reopened?

Bad Business and a Waste of time!!!!!
9/3/2008 1:27 PM
I'm sure they'll be reopened. I assume they need to be re-entered by the commissioners. Just hold on to your team and they should be back up.
9/3/2008 1:30 PM
At a quick glance, D ratings have been adjusted significantly. I don't see anyone with a rating higher than 96, and guys (like Thurmond) who are considered among the best ever are frequently in the 80s. Not complaining, just a mental adjustment to make in understanding the significance of the ratings and how to draft around them.

The other big change I see is the valuation of defense. Great defense seems to cost a lot more compared to before the change (Olajuwon and Rodman are a fair bit more expensive), and bad defense costs less than ever (Kiki is available on the mega-cheap now).
9/3/2008 1:33 PM
initial impressions:

I really like what they've done with the rebounding. Now I don't feel as though I HAVE to have Bill Russell, Wilt, Lucas, Petit or Rodman on my team to have a shot at dominating the boards.

I also love how Seble listened to us and gave us a shot to make our case on 88-89 Jordan and a few other players with Position Effectiveness. Thank you, Seble!

The only immediate thing that I saw that I didn't like was how much they decreased Wilt and Russell's block %. Maybe it's fair to the rest of the league, but I don't see how it's even close to accurate. I'm sure both will still get used plenty despite that fact.
9/3/2008 3:57 PM
Quote: Originally posted by wd3md on 9/03/2008What happened to theme leagues, I spent money and don't want to be in an open League. Will pending Leagues be reopened? Bad Business and a Waste of time!!!!!
You should be able to re-enter theme leagues now. If there is one created over a month ago it won't appear in the list, but you can enter the league number. I can look up ones that are forgotten.
9/3/2008 4:09 PM
Hmm, still having problems. I redrafted and re-entered my $47 mil team with no trouble, then just found that it was spit out back into the draft center and is now about $135K over the cap. Very odd. I'll figure out how to submit a formal ticket on this if it persists, but am curious to know if others are experiencing difficulties.
9/3/2008 5:05 PM
Quote: Originally Posted By longtallbrad on 9/03/2008Ouch, those are some big salary changes. I had a $57 mil team that's now $3.5 mil over the cap, and a $47 mil team that's now $2.3 over the cap. This will take a while to get the new theme leagues up and running
there are actually only 230 salaries over 8 million now I think there were 276 before the release so overall the salaries went down - of course that doesnt mean that certain players didnt go up

so that's me defending the changes

here's me being critical:

look at the top 50 seasons in block percentage, tell me when you see Bill Russell or Wilt
9/3/2008 5:06 PM
Given all the thought and collaboration that went into the changes, I'm fine with whatever they are at this point. Don't mean to be critical on this. I just seem to be getting hit with technical problems in trying to reconstruct my teams.
9/3/2008 5:08 PM
◂ Prev 1...10|11|12|13|14 Next ▸
Upcoming Release - NEW SPREADSHEET Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.