Conservatives will LITERALLY just... lie... Topic

Posted by contrarian23 on 11/2/2022 4:32:00 PM (view original):
America's right wing has one goal: total control of US government (and by extension, the US population). Lying, gerrymandering, assaulting election workers, spreading misinformation, denying election results, taking voting rights away from legitimate citizens...it's all in play for them if it advances their totalitarian, fascist agenda.
I mean, the playbook is pretty obvious. Take control of state legislatures through rampant gerrymandering, use misinfo and intimidation to try to get control of governor's races in swing states, take control of the federal judiciary, lie about election results and convince your base that any Democratic win *necessarily* has to be because of fraud, then you get the governors and legislature to try to reject election results and push an alternate set of legislators, use militia violence to intimidate people into complying and potentially kill if you have to, and bada bing bada boom you've got control. Plus no conservative actually cares about truth more than "owning the libs" so it doesn't actually matter.

I mean, they're LITERALLY propping up Orban and Putin as examples that should be followed.
11/2/2022 5:39 PM
Posted by lostnfound74 on 11/2/2022 4:52:00 PM (view original):
America's right wing has one goal: total control of US government (and by extension, the US population). Lying, gerrymandering, assaulting election workers, spreading misinformation, denying election results, taking voting rights away from legitimate citizens...it's all in play for them if it advances their totalitarian, fascist agenda.
Biden lied. He said he would unify the country. The US is now more divided than in over 100 years. He also said that summer 2022 was no inflation when it was actually 8%. He also said when he took office that gas was $4 a gallon.. it was $2.49. The left lies like Route 66

As for this attack on the right wing.. You are in total darkness
Biden should never have promised to unite the country. That was bad from the start. You can't and shouldn't unite with fascists. I'm glad he's pivoted off that now. The Republican party should be destroyed. There is no room for an anti-democratic party in a democracy. And that's not even getting into the open genocidal rhetoric and the whole "rooting for the world to be destroyed" thing.

Which doesn't mean banning them or whatever, but you should charge politicians who commit crimes and you sure as hell shouldn't vote for them.
11/2/2022 5:40 PM
Posted by tangplay on 11/2/2022 5:39:00 PM (view original):
I mean, the playbook is pretty obvious. Take control of state legislatures through rampant gerrymandering, use misinfo and intimidation to try to get control of governor's races in swing states, take control of the federal judiciary, lie about election results and convince your base that any Democratic win *necessarily* has to be because of fraud, then you get the governors and legislature to try to reject election results and push an alternate set of legislators, use militia violence to intimidate people into complying and potentially kill if you have to, and bada bing bada boom you've got control. Plus no conservative actually cares about truth more than "owning the libs" so it doesn't actually matter.

I mean, they're LITERALLY propping up Orban and Putin as examples that should be followed.
I suggested we report it to the FBI.

If you don't like that...here's another idea.

What say we go out and hire an additional 87,000 IRS agents?
11/2/2022 5:49 PM
When I say that many conservatives don't care about truth, I don't mean that they say things that are wrong sometimes. We all do that. I mean that they will say something that isn't true, something that is so obviously outlandish and wrong, and will repeat it anyway, without actually believing what they are saying is true. Doug is a great example of this. He doesn't believe the Pelosi gay quarrel stuff. But he's repeating the claim anyway, because it politically benefits his team and "owns the libs."

Trump's election fraud stuff follows the same principle. He knows he's lying. Most conservative politicians (aside from the true sycophants) know the fraud claims are bullshit. Yet they repeat them anyway.
11/2/2022 5:50 PM
Posted by tangplay on 11/2/2022 5:42:00 PM (view original):
Biden lied. He said he would unify the country. The US is now more divided than in over 100 years. He also said that summer 2022 was no inflation when it was actually 8%. He also said when he took office that gas was $4 a gallon.. it was $2.49. The left lies like Route 66

Biden should never have promised to unite the country. That was bad from the start. You can't and shouldn't unite with fascists. I'm glad he's pivoted off that now. The Republican party should be destroyed. There is no room for an anti-democratic party in a democracy. And that's not even getting into the open genocidal rhetoric and the whole "rooting for the world to be destroyed" thing.

Which doesn't mean banning them or whatever, but you should charge politicians who commit crimes and you sure as hell shouldn't vote for them.
Here's an idea.

How about EARLY VOTING and DROP BOXES?

It's worth a try.
11/2/2022 5:50 PM

What say we go out and hire an additional 87,000 IRS agents?

TRUE

Biden should do that

Totally agree. I love the boys in blue fighting tax fraud, but maybe I'm the only one here who is anti-crime.

How about EARLY VOTING and DROP BOXES?

TRUE! I love voting

11/2/2022 5:51 PM
Posted by tangplay on 11/2/2022 5:50:00 PM (view original):
When I say that many conservatives don't care about truth, I don't mean that they say things that are wrong sometimes. We all do that. I mean that they will say something that isn't true, something that is so obviously outlandish and wrong, and will repeat it anyway, without actually believing what they are saying is true. Doug is a great example of this. He doesn't believe the Pelosi gay quarrel stuff. But he's repeating the claim anyway, because it politically benefits his team and "owns the libs."

Trump's election fraud stuff follows the same principle. He knows he's lying. Most conservative politicians (aside from the true sycophants) know the fraud claims are bullshit. Yet they repeat them anyway.
Pelosi is GAY!?!?!

I'm shocked.

Which one?
11/2/2022 5:52 PM

Tang, this might be the worst argument you have ever made. You want to save democracy with one-party rule. Doesn’t sound very Democratic to me. And before you claim that wasn’t what you were saying, you said “the Republican Party needs to be destroyed.” We only have two serious parties.

I know you clarified in paragraph 2 that you are talking about voting against Republicans. I think you caught yourself while you were typing and realized that you were sounding fascistic while you were calling the other side fascists, but it doesn’t make your 1st paragraph any better.

Also, I know you don’t want to hear it, but election denial runs both ways. There is more evidence of voter fraud (which is almost zero) than there is evidence of voter suppression, yet democrats keep lying about voter suppression.

I have many issues with the Republican Party, but the idea that they are fascist is quite absurd. You are gonna have to provide some evidence on that one.

This idea that the other side is evil has to stop. Both sides of the spectrum are guilty and it’s terrible for the country. Neither side is evil. They just disagree on policy. That’s a healthy thing and should be elevated, not discouraged.
11/6/2022 9:57 PM
This post has a rating of , which is below the default threshold.
Posted by strikeout26 on 11/6/2022 9:57:00 PM (view original):

Tang, this might be the worst argument you have ever made. You want to save democracy with one-party rule. Doesn’t sound very Democratic to me. And before you claim that wasn’t what you were saying, you said “the Republican Party needs to be destroyed.” We only have two serious parties.

I know you clarified in paragraph 2 that you are talking about voting against Republicans. I think you caught yourself while you were typing and realized that you were sounding fascistic while you were calling the other side fascists, but it doesn’t make your 1st paragraph any better.

Also, I know you don’t want to hear it, but election denial runs both ways. There is more evidence of voter fraud (which is almost zero) than there is evidence of voter suppression, yet democrats keep lying about voter suppression.

I have many issues with the Republican Party, but the idea that they are fascist is quite absurd. You are gonna have to provide some evidence on that one.

This idea that the other side is evil has to stop. Both sides of the spectrum are guilty and it’s terrible for the country. Neither side is evil. They just disagree on policy. That’s a healthy thing and should be elevated, not discouraged.
both parties suck. what they should do is actually care about what happens to this country and it's citizens. Instead, all they care about is maintaining/increasing their power.
11/6/2022 11:06 PM
Yep. That’s why government needs strict limits. We cheer when government does something we like, but more times than not that thing we like is pushing the bounds of their power to find out how far they can stretch them. A good example is Biden’s student loan cancellation. Largest unilateral move by a president in our countries history.

Also, Tang, since you titled this thread “Conservatives will literally just lie”, Biden said that he signed a law that went through Congress for this. Both sides lie. It’s been the stereotype of politicians for generations.

https://amp.cnn.com/cnn/2022/10/24/politics/fact-check-biden-student-debt-congress-passed/index.html
11/6/2022 11:18 PM

Why doesn't anyone ever contest the fact claim? I clearly stated that I don't support banning the Republican party. I don't support killing, genocide, or doing any type of violent political action against Republicans. I still believe that the party poses an existential threat to democracy in America and should be thoroughly defeated and destroyed at the ballot box. I don't think that's fascistic. It's not fascism to oppose fascism through voting. And no one has given me a reason to not feel this way about the Republican Party. I get how my rhetoric might have come across that way, but I'm done with treating the MAGA movement as some benign force that can't do damage. They're fascists. They want to end democracy and they openly support the destruction of the planet. I'm simply calling a spade a spade. The recent anti-semitism stuff and open and blatant acceptance of lying on the right has put me over the edge.

I agree that Democrats sometimes overhype the degree of voter suppression that the Republicans engage in. I also know (and you're smart enough to know as well) that they don't come near touching what the Republicans have said and done about the election fraud lies. I actually think Stacey Abrams engaged in harmful rhetoric after her loss in 2018. It was nothing compared to what Trump did in 2020. Massive difference between "some votes were suppressed" and "votes were changed/fraudulently added, the election should be overturned." The Republicans are openly building the framework to commit a coup. The both-sidesing is real tiring.

Neither side is evil. They just disagree on policy.

Come on, strikeout. This would be true for neo-conservatives and liberals, but not the MAGA wing. We're in a post-Trump world. We're in a post Jan 6 world. The disagreements between the radical extremes (on both sides, to an extent) rise above "simple policy disagreements."

• Whether democracy and fair elections should exist shouldn't be a policy issue
  • Whether trans people should be forcefully de-transitioned (and arguably worse, given MAINSTREAM conservative rhetoric) shouldn't be a policy issue
  • Whether climate change is real shouldn't be a policy issue
The Republicans are SCREAMING that they're going to push for a coup in 2024 if they get the opportunity. I don't have an intrinsic issue with debating conservative policy in a respectful manner. I do have an issue with equivocating and accepting the path we're on.
This proves the point of my last paragraph. Tang two years ago didn’t carry hatred in his heart
I want to be totally clear. As much as doug and gg frustrate me, I view them (and most MAGA people) as victims in this situation. They're in a media bubble, as most of us are, and human psychology has kind of led them in the direction they're in. They only see one narrative and from their perspective, everything they say is justified. The people I resent are the conservative influencers and voice leaders who know they're lying about election fraud and a myriad of other issues, yet continue to perpetuate those narratives. Look at what Crenshaw recently said about GOP congresspeople knowing they're lying about the election fraud stuff. They will LITERALLY make stuff up, sell it to their base out of nowhere, know they're lying, and not care. When those lies come to groups of people, democracy, and climate change, you cross a line. I don't know what they have to do to cross that line for you.

We know what’s it doing. It’s leading to people showing up at Kavanaugh and Pelosi’s house.

This is an excellent example because the people who showed up at Kavanaugh's house were kinda just standing there protesting (which I oppose), and Congress passed a law to prevent that within days in a bipartisan manner, meanwhile the Pelosi guy BROKE INTO THE HOUSE WITH A HAMMER and the reaction from conservatives was to soft-defend the guy, literally make up a narrative to blame gay people, and both-sides. I couldn't think of a better example of the differences between the extremism on both sides, tbh
Like, seriously. The "storm is coming" branch of QAnon is basically mainstream conservatism at this point. You've got guys with manifestos effectively sprouting generic conservative talking points before trying to murder people, but Biden says "fascism is bad" and both sides are the same, I guess.

The temperature needs to cool fast. We need to learn to live civilly amongst each other and to respect opposing view points or we are screwed.

Again, if your brand of moderation is to respect opposing view points, such as election fraud lies, lies about climate change, and whatever bullshit narrative they just blatantly make up today, I reject that. I don't think we should accept every opposing view point. My question to you would be where your line is. I draw the line at democracy stuff. When the GOP went there, they crossed my line. What would your line be?

Both sides lie. It’s been the stereotype of politicians for generations.

I'm aware, and acknowledged this. In your example, Biden is a senile old man with a fragile memory. He misspeaks constantly and says dumb ****. You would have a point if it became a mainstream democratic talking point that student debt relief was passed by Congress, while basically everyone knows they're lying and no one cares. Wake me up when CNN or the NYT publishes an article claiming that debt relief was passed by Congress.
(I think I kinda oppose the student debt relief cancellation now, for the record)

11/7/2022 2:55 AM (edited)
I agree I kinda went off the handle at Doug. Like I said, he's a victim.

But man, it is so frustrating to deal with these people. A dude tried to kill the Speaker of the House, and the mainstream GOP reaction is to soft defend the guy, and make up a random story about it out of thin air to absolve themselves of responsibility, Doug comes in here blatantly lying to **** with me about the issue, and he knows he's lying, but doesn't care. Am I not supposed to be frustrated/concerned with this?

Guitarguy has gone from disaffected liberal to a crazed election denying lunatic who rants and raves about degeneracy (this is effectively the same route the Pelosi guy took, fwiw).

GOP had a golden opportunity to distance themselves from Trump/Trumpism after Jan 6. They leaned in harder.
11/7/2022 3:06 AM (edited)

Sure! Here's Umberto Eco's 14 points to define fascism. Let me know which elements you don't think Trump engages in repeatedly.

1. The cult of tradition. “One has only to look at the syllabus of every fascist movement to find the major traditionalist thinkers. The Nazi gnosis was nourished by traditionalist, syncretistic, occult elements.”
  2. The rejection of modernism. “The Enlightenment, the Age of Reason, is seen as the beginning of modern depravity. In this sense Ur-Fascism can be defined as irrationalism.”
  3. The cult of action for action’s sake. “Action being beautiful in itself, it must be taken before, or without, any previous reflection. Thinking is a form of emasculation.”
  4. Disagreement is treason. “The critical spirit makes distinctions, and to distinguish is a sign of modernism. In modern culture the scientific community praises disagreement as a way to improve knowledge.”
  5. Fear of difference. “The first appeal of a fascist or prematurely fascist movement is an appeal against the intruders. Thus Ur-Fascism is racist by definition.”
  6. Appeal to social frustration. “One of the most typical features of the historical fascism was the appeal to a frustrated middle class, a class suffering from an economic crisis or feelings of political humiliation, and frightened by the pressure of lower social groups.”
  7. The obsession with a plot. “Thus at the root of the Ur-Fascist psychology there is the obsession with a plot, possibly an international one. The followers must feel besieged.”
  8. The enemy is both strong and weak. “By a continuous shifting of rhetorical focus, the enemies are at the same time too strong and too weak.”
  9. Pacifism is trafficking with the enemy. “For Ur-Fascism there is no struggle for life but, rather, life is lived for struggle.”
  10. Contempt for the weak. “Elitism is a typical aspect of any reactionary ideology.”
  11. Everybody is educated to become a hero. “In Ur-Fascist ideology, heroism is the norm. This cult of heroism is strictly linked with the cult of death.”
  12. Machismo and weaponry. “Machismo implies both disdain for women and intolerance and condemnation of nonstandard sexual habits, from chastity to homosexuality.”
  13. Selective populism. “There is in our future a TV or Internet populism, in which the emotional response of a selected group of citizens can be presented and accepted as the Voice of the People.”
  14. Ur-Fascism speaks Newspeak. “All the Nazi or Fascist schoolbooks made use of an impoverished vocabulary, and an elementary syntax, in order to limit the instruments for complex and critical reasoning.”
Also, if you don't buy any of that, just look at who the Republican party idolizes. Who are the favorite leaders for most MAGA people? Orban? Bolsonaro? Putin (if you disagree with this, you're wrong, many MAGA conservatives openly idolize Putin's cultural policies, praised Russia's "masculine" military in comparison to ours [pre-war of course], and have said that Putin is fighting a war against western degeneracy in Ukraine)?

Those are NOT the leaders that pre-Trump neocons would idolize.
11/7/2022 3:03 AM
Don’t have time to respond to much right now, but what the hell are you talking about? A guy showed up at Kavanaugh’s house armed and ready to kill him and his family.
11/7/2022 7:32 AM
◂ Prev 1234 Next ▸
Conservatives will LITERALLY just... lie... Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.