Favorite theme leagues. Topic

Posted by Midge on 4/17/2023 8:00:00 PM (view original):
What does BOWIS stand for?

It is only a little bit more money and a little more time than Savage and people love Savage.

In the baseball championship they have 96 people play six different theme leagues, then the top 24 play six more. When compared to that, having 24 people play in six leagues is a piece of cake.
The baseball tournament is impressive. Would be cool to get even close to that level of participation in hoops.
4/18/2023 11:27 AM
If we were to actually do 6 draft leagues together, it can't just be a random assortment of leagues. They either have to be iconic leagues (ODL, $52M), challenging leagues (autodraft, no all-star all-stars, albatross, some sort of banned league), or a franchise league of some kind. We could even have 6 different commissioners to spread the work load around.

I would vote for the following 6 leagues:

ODL
$52M
Autodraft
Either no All-Star All-Stars or albatross (Not both)
Some sort of a franchise league (Twist or no twist)
Banned league (Maybe no players drafted in the ODL or $52)

This gives us the classic low and high cap leagues (ODL and $52M), a unique league that was beloved (autodraft), a league with limited rosters (NASAL or albatross), a franchise league, and a banned league.

4/18/2023 12:26 PM
Actually the No All-Star All-Stars and a banned league may be too similar. I guess I would be open to a sixth league, but I think the following 5 should be definite:

ODL
$52M
Banned (No players drafted in either of the first two leagues, maybe split the difference with a $50M Cap
Autodraft
Franchise league (Twist or no twist)

With a sixth league TBD.
4/18/2023 12:33 PM (edited)
This sounds good so far. I think a Silent Auction League would be a nice fit. I was in a couple of leagues (ran by pex, I think), where instead of building a team from a franchise we picked a team from a division. That was a fun league. We also did a co-op league where you had a choice between $46 million and pick anyone and $52 million, but a lot of players were banned. At this point I would like to get 24 people, get about 10 theme leagues, and then vote on the six we play.

I also want to do this (The Basketball Tournament) once a year and it seems to me that the best time to do it is when the new seasons arrive (now!) and there is some excitement about the new toys.
4/18/2023 2:35 PM
I am in regardless of the specifics.

I also agree with Mptrey in in the sense that a league that doesn't have iterations of draft history as a template would be nice. Maybe something similar to the DDL but two decades worth of players with abnormal ranges of years (83 through 02 for example, or 78 throuh 87 and 94 through 03 as available years/players). Each season you could change the parameters of the ranges to ensure the draft doesn't hve a blueprint in place.
4/18/2023 5:09 PM

put clone wars in that autodraft spot. I hated autodraft.

6th league could be a 42 mill (no rookies/clones) open league
4/18/2023 5:25 PM
I'd like to see a variety of salary caps and a variety of types of leagues. I would not be a fan of autodraft, scattegories, silent auction, cap above $57M type leagues.
4/18/2023 6:36 PM
It looks like the BOWIS VII themes were: $47M double teammate chain, $32M under 45 def, $42M ODL blacklist, $52M two per decade, $47M ODL, $52M 9-8-7-etc
4/18/2023 6:49 PM
Since (hopefully) this will happen once a year when the new seasons are released, Ben suggested that one of the six themes be a draft of the new season.

I like the idea of including a decade draft, but instead of ten years make it a fifteen or twenty year group……probably fifteen.
4/18/2023 7:33 PM
Id be down for anything but I think I’d prefer some type of cap on the decade draft. Maybe 48-50? New season league would be cool.
4/18/2023 8:29 PM
I've thought about this more and I think in order to really capture the spirit of BOWIS and have this be something people get excited for, you need some consistency and some challenge. The leagues should not just be random leagues such as a random 15 year draft or even random decades. We should try to capture the spirit of WhatIF and try to have each league represent a different challenge. We want to find the users who can be successful with all that the sim has to offer.

There should be:

A low cap league (Prove you can win with a challenging budget)
A high cap league (Prove you can win with the full array of players available)
A banned league (Prove you can win without any of the best players)
A franchise league (Best captures the spirit of WIS)
A most recent season league (Prove you are adaptable with an unproven data set)
?

For the low cap and high cap leagues, I actually think we should go away from the ODL and $52M. Those are already proven leagues. I would suggest making the caps a little wider in variance. Do $46 and $53, or $45 and $54. This is supposed to be challenging after all and capture two different spectrums.

The banned league should be players who weren't drafted in either of the two previous leagues. With so many players ineligible, it should have a lower cap, but I think there can be some debate about what that should be.

The franchise league could be with a twist or not depending on what people think.

The 6th league to me is up in the air. I would prefer the auto-draft because I think it's a great test for users, but there's been some push back to that one, so maybe there needs to be a new league.
4/19/2023 9:26 AM
^^^

loving this idea! A once a year event could be so much fun.

<47
>52
banned
franchise (need to clear up the twists)
most recent
6th season (needs to be defined. Let me get ahead of myself and say it could change in the second season)
4/19/2023 11:43 AM
^^^

loving this idea! A once a year event could be so much fun.

<47
>52
banned
franchise (need to clear up the twists)
most recent
6th season (needs to be defined. Let me get ahead of myself and say it could change in the second season)
4/19/2023 11:43 AM
I like these ideas. Preferably no lower that 45 I can barely do 47 lol
4/19/2023 11:51 AM
I was thinking about a banned league where you only remove the players drafted in the first two rounds of the most recent ODL and/or 52m. That way, you still have the bulk of the players, but you have to team-build without the absolute superstars, which would spice things up a bit..but I can see the appeal of removing all of the drated ODL and/or 52m players, as well.
4/19/2023 11:52 AM
◂ Prev 123 Next ▸
Favorite theme leagues. Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.