The 52 Draft League - Rosters/Commentary Topic

kujhawker – Hakeem Olajuwon, Russell Westbrook, Bobby Jones, Marcus Smart, Nate Archibald, Charles Oakley, Manute Bol

What I Like: Bobby Jones was your best pick. He is really the only guy on your team that makes sense according to advanced stats. You have some great defenders and having over 1000 steals and blocks is a nice boost.
Concerns: I think its crazy to even draft Westbrook and hope to win. I think it is even crazier to pair him with Baylor and Archibald. There is not enough ball to go around and thats not even counting the 28% usage for Dream. You are going to hit severe penalties especially when before all that you have 2000 TO's and almost 2000 fouls already. 21,000 minutes is too many, as I would shoot for 19,500 to 20,000 for this league and 19,300 to 19,600 for all others. Team EFG is not good. Total wise you are under 50% on FG attempts made by over 800 shots.
Conclusion: A total disregard for advanced stats has my guarantee that this team will not make the playoffs.

dakjd901 – DeAndre Jordan, Steve Nash, Shawn Marion, Ben Simmons, Serge Ibaka, Josh Smith, Trae Young

What I Like: I love Deandre. He is probably my favorite player to build around because he has many seasons to choose from and is a EFG per usage god. He should be drafted higher IMO. You have a lot of assists and the TO's are not too shabby considering all the ball movement. I really like your first 5 draft picks.
Concerns: Your last 2 draft picks. Smith is going to kill this team. Sure a good rebounder and defender but 24% usage for 45% EFG is not going to cut it. I don't like Trae that much because if you are going to have a player over 30% usage I would rather they be closer to 60% EFG and not closer to 50%. He is terrible at defense too. I feel like this pick was strictly done for 3's as only Nash has over 100 for you before that. This team could use more rebounding as well.
Conclusion: I feel like this team misses the playoffs. It is not a terrible team and if you made some more efficient shooting picks with less usage in the final round, I would be singing a different tune. Competitive but not enough.

ncih – Dennis Rodman, John Stockton, Bob McAdoo, Ray Allen, Dirk Nowitzki, Jeff Ruland, Mark Eaton

What I Like: Nabbing both the assist god and the rebound god. Stockton and Rodman is a good start to any team and give you a lot of flexibility. McAdoo was a nice addition to these two. Low TO's is a major plus for this team especially for having Stockton on it. I like your distribution of usage and you should not see too many penalties.
Concerns: I would have went with someone else besides Dirk as my main scorer. Like I said earlier if someone has close to 30% usage, I wan't them shooting closer to 60% EFG and not 50. Your defense is just average as after Eaton, Rodman, Stockton, and Bob, there are really no one else who helps. I would like to see some more 3's and surprisingly your blocks are low even though you have Eaton.
Conclusion: If all things go right, I can see this team sneaking in the playoffs. This looks more like a fringe team that will battle for the last spot, but I think ultimately, the defense will let it down.

ty84moss – James Harden, Kevin McHale, Christian Wood, Larry Nance, Shai Gilgeous-Alexander, Mitchell Robinson, Brandon Clarke

What I Like: This is an impressive scoring squad that I think will finish top 3 in that category. Perfect amount of total minutes ensures you are getting the most out of your players. Really impressive TO amount at only 1200 and with Harden on the team, thats almost impossible. Solid defense and rebounding. Over 1000 blocks is also impressive for 19600 minutes.
Concerns: A tad too many fouls but nothing crazy. Some weaker defenders in Ayton ,SGA, and Wood but they provide stellar offense so its a trade off.
Conclusion: This may be our league champ here. I guarantee playoffs and anything short of final 4 would be surprising. Great team.

jackedjamie – Tim Duncan, Clint Capela, Walt Frazier, Michael Porter, Jr., Kristaps Porzingis, Andre Iguodala, Kyle Anderson

What I Like: Super low TO's with a strong A/T ratio. Great EFG and usage distribution. You have great subs for your starters and shouldn't lose too much when they are on the bench. There are no real glaring holes in this roster as you are where you want to be on just about every category. Fouls are low enough.
Concerns: You have 5 great defenders but it kind of falls apart after that. I think you could use a some more offensive rebounds and maybe some steals. You have some bad free throw shooting from some major minute players, but that shouldn't hurt too much.
Conclusion: I think this team makes the playoffs. It is a real solid squad and I can see it making a deep playoff run.

steelers821 – Dwyane Wade, Terry Porter, Chris Boucher, John Collins, Buck Williams, Dale Davis, Ja Morant, Derrick Favors

What I Like: Good offensive rebounding an a solid A/T ratio with low TO's. I like your support cast of Boucher, Favors, Porter, Davis, and Buck as most contribute great EFG and everyone except Porter is over 70 on defense. Also I love those below 20% usage guys that shoot high EFG and are plus rebound/defenders. Can never have too many. This team is going to score a lot of points.
Concerns: Out of all your players, Wade and Morant rank in the bottom 4 in terms of EFG and are the bottom 2 in EFG of all heavy minute players. They are going to shoot the ball the most. This will be the hardest thing to overcome especially if they are on the court together. Fouls are a little high and you could use more defensive rebounds.
Conclusion: This is probably the best of the fringe teams. I would not be surprised if you made it in the playoffs but I also would not be surprised if you didn't. Im just not sold on Wade as a top pick.
1/4/2023 7:54 PM
Thanks for the eval PirateSteve I’m glad you did it theyve all been good reads. I like my team and think it’s very good and quite a few things but Ja and Wade sinking my team with poor shooting would be far from shocking. I’m wondering how fts will help/hurt my team. I will likely be taking a lot of fts but my percentages will be mediocre.
1/4/2023 8:24 PM
No problem! Thanks everyone for the positive feedback! Good luck everyone.
1/4/2023 8:27 PM
PirateSteve thanks for the hard work on all the evals. I enjoyed hearing your rationale for what works and what does not. Great job sir.
1/4/2023 8:39 PM
PirateSteve - if someone has close to 30% usage, I wan't them shooting closer to 60% EFG and not 50.

There are 24 guys who have at least one season with USAGE 28.0 or higher, eFG at least 55.1, and at least 2000 minutes

Giannis
Curry
Durant
Shaq
Karl Malone
LeBron
Jokic
Lillard
LaVine
Irving
Bird
G. Paul
Dantley
A. Davis
Zion Williamson
Jaylen Brown

Barkley
Kareem

Walter Davis
Townes
Stoudemire
Leonard
Ewing
Bernard King

1/4/2023 11:19 PM (edited)
Yeah my last 2 picks were panic picks as I am traveling and realized I already missed one pick and o was getting on a train lol
1/5/2023 2:08 AM
jackedjamie – Tim Duncan, Clint Capela, Walt Frazier, Michael Porter, Jr., Kristaps Porzingis, Andre Iguodala, Kyle Anderson

What I Like: Super low TO's with a strong A/T ratio. Great EFG and usage distribution. You have great subs for your starters and shouldn't lose too much when they are on the bench. There are no real glaring holes in this roster as you are where you want to be on just about every category. Fouls are low enough.
Concerns: You have 5 great defenders but it kind of falls apart after that. I think you could use a some more offensive rebounds and maybe some steals. You have some bad free throw shooting from some major minute players, but that shouldn't hurt too much.
Conclusion: I think this team makes the playoffs. It is a real solid squad and I can see it making a deep playoff run.

Thanks for the eval--It's kinda how I see this team also, so as a builder I'm glad we see it the same way. Now, what that means as to how the team plays is another lol
1/5/2023 4:29 AM
◂ Prev 1...18|19|20
The 52 Draft League - Rosters/Commentary Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.