Upcoming Release - NEW SPREADSHEET Topic

They just don't get it
8/26/2008 8:53 AM
It's no wonder I have 5 teams purchased not used, I don't have the desire anymore because of horrendous management decisions. I'm not a fan of "The customer is always right", but when you ignore the customers suggestions and ideas just to spite them it is just stubborn and ridiculus to expect those customers to be happy with bad decisions.
8/26/2008 9:03 AM
This release, if not cancelled, will kill the NBA sim.
8/26/2008 9:31 AM
To hit some of the points made:

- The file format is very common and shouldn't be a problem. It's just a compressed text file. We'll try to help if you just post details.

- The biggest change in defensive ratings is that there is no longer a boost for All Defense. Instead we set "floors", so 1st Team can't go below 90, 2nd team can't go below 80, etc. Previously the boost was throwing the entire distribution out of whack. We also changed the distribution to group more guys towards the middle and less toward the extremes.

- Defensive rebound% numbers for the older guys should now be correct since we're not using estimates for the team data anymore. The estimates tended to be on high side so generally those numbers are down now, but correct.

- When the SimEngine picks a player to shoot the ball the new Shot% will be used to determine where the actual shot comes from. So a guy that had 80% paint and 20% midrange, should shoot around those percentages.

- 3pt estimated numbers aren't being changed here. We're open to changes down the road time permitting.

- Salaries should be in the same range overall, but you'll probably notice good defensive guards going up while the big guys should go down a bit. This is due to us changing how the defensive numbers work. Previously, defense was inherently biased toward big guys so they were having more impact in the SimEngine. Now we've leveled things so that anyone can have a similar impact. We'll check into the distribution of salary again.

I think some of you guys are overreacting here. There were complaints about the defensive ratings, so we've improved them. There were complaints about offensive range, so we implemented an entirely new and better system to handle it. There were complaints about inflated rebound numbers for older players, so we acquired some new data that allows for accurate numbers. As I said, we'll take another look at salaries.
8/26/2008 10:12 AM
Thanks for touching on my second question, but how about:

a) the disparity in defensive ratings between 50's/60's players and 00 players?
b) the anomoloy in minutes and salary for the partial season 75-76 ABA players?

Thanks!
8/26/2008 10:17 AM
Quote: Originally Posted By ncih on 8/26/2008This release, if not cancelled, will kill the NBA sim
You mean it isn't already dead???
8/26/2008 10:44 AM
Seble, I like the fact that you leveled the defense out so that all players D matters as opposed to mainly big guys. That sounds like an improvement.

I like the idea of shot% to determine where a player will shoot from, sounds good, but we'll have to see how you distributed the % itself.

However I still cant' figure out how your D system adds up to a guy like 07-08 Lebron, no D team, to be rated better than 07-08 Kobe, 1st team, or 07-08 Tayshaun Prince 2nd team. Or how modern players rate significantly better than players from the past decades.

Happy to read you'll be looking into salaries, because as I posted before, the salaries for some players has gone way up, over a million more, it's a huge difference. As pointed out by other posts make sure we don't end up with 2 stars and 10 scrubs, that would be a huge turn off.

Good luck
8/26/2008 11:10 AM
Quote: Originally posted by platypus91 on 8/26/2008Thanks for touching on my second question, but how about:a) the disparity in defensive ratings between 50's/60's players and 00 players?
b) the anomoloy in minutes and salary for the partial season 75-76 ABA players?Thanks!
a) A big part of that is All Defense. Those awards weren't given until 68-69 and the first season we have "others receiving votes" is 97-98.

b) That's an issue with the ABA teams that folded after a few games. They will be removed before release.
8/26/2008 11:28 AM
The defensive system is based on Dean Oliver's Stop%, which is a widely accepted method for measuring defense. Part of that is defensive rebounding, so that helps Lebron. Also a significant part is team defense and Cleveland has been an above average defensive team.
8/26/2008 11:33 AM
Quote: Originally Posted By seble on 8/26/2008The defensive system is based on Dean Oliver's Stop%, which is a widely accepted method for measuring defense. Part of that is defensive rebounding, so that helps Lebron. Also a significant part is team defense and Cleveland has been an above average defensive team.
So, if Kiki Vandeweghe played for the recent Cavs, he'd be 50 points higher in D rating? That's crazy. He'd still be the same horrid defensive player.
8/26/2008 11:46 AM
Quote: Originally Posted By ncih on 8/26/2008This release, if not cancelled, will kill the NBA sim
Scott, are you reading the comments like this? I haven't seen anyone say anything good about this proposed update and I as well as many others seem to be dreading this update. Just seems like a downgrade on multiple levels.

Oh and by the way...the rebound percentages are now correct? Wilt's best defensive rebounding season is 82nd overall? The only thing that makes me want to do is take my business elsewhere.
8/26/2008 12:18 PM
Quote: Originally Posted By seble on 8/26/2008The defensive system is based on Dean Oliver's Stop%, which is a widely accepted method for measuring defense. Part of that is defensive rebounding, so that helps Lebron. Also a significant part is team defense and Cleveland has been an above average defensive team.
Sounds quite flawed to me...don't see how rebounding translates into playing good defense.
8/26/2008 12:21 PM
The pro-rating process used to adjust minutes is out of wack for some players.

See Ron Boone 75-76 - 5500 minutes - Must be related to the short games.
8/26/2008 12:40 PM
This post could not be converted. To view the original post's thread, click here.
8/26/2008 1:01 PM
Quote: Originally posted by qistat on 8/26/2008The pro-rating process used to adjust minutes is out of wack for some players.See Ron Boone 75-76 - 5500 minutes - Must be related to the short games.
Those are the combined records for guys that played on multiple teams that season, where one of the teams folded. They'll be removed as they are currently.
8/26/2008 1:02 PM
◂ Prev 1|2|3|4|5...14 Next ▸
Upcoming Release - NEW SPREADSHEET Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.