$52 million draft league commentary Topic

First off: Thanks LTB great eval read. It's tough to make predictions and it looks like a league with good parity.
Second off: I have 5th rd. buyers remorse with Bullwinkle so I've reduced his role and not going with that
70-71 monster year of his. Too high of a 19 TO% I thought his creb and ast% would offset that but I'm having my
doubts about him.
Third off: I'm going with some highly rated undrafted instead. A MISTAKE well maybe or highly probable my
team will have about the same outcome either way.

9) seapilots – Dwight Howard, Damian Lillard, Gary Payton, Jarrett Allen, Tom Boerwinkle, LaMarcus Aldridge, Marvin Williams
Dwight, properly used, is a monster in this league. Two of my four 52mil championship teams started with him. Lillard spaces the floor helpfully, Payton covers for Lillard on defense and takes pretty good care of the ball while he’s at it. Allen and Boerwinkle make for a funky frontcourt rotation. Boe should have gone earlier and might fit better somewhere else. Pairing a legit board lord with Howard is scary, but I’m not sure his wicked ast% was needed, his D is unimpressive, and he loses the ball a lot for someone with his low usage. Defense is not exactly worrying me but it could/should be better. I have never been able to get excited about Aldridge in this league. Either other owners see something I don’t (which certainly possible) or he's benefiting from a recency bias sheen. I can see this crew making the playoffs and maybe the second round, but I don’t think they go farther.

I really like the first three picks. J Allen is efficient and even though low minutes a solid pairing with Dwight
with 4th selection.
Using LaMarcus 21-22 which is a very good off the bench. 22 U% 56 efg% 69 D 12 TO% not much of a
rebounder but versatile at 3,4 & 5. Also using C.J. McCollum's short stint with the 21-22 Pelicans. Not much D
but he put up some terrific stats and was a great addition for N.O. this season.
I'm filling the unused Boerwinkle minutes with undrafted Gerald Wallace and his 100D $4M year.
It also frees up some $ to get a low minute but very effective Larry Nance Jr. and I'm using an Ed Davis year to
provide some creb and efficiency. Pretty confident about securing a playoff spot but who knows after that?
If I don't make the playoffs I can kick myself in the asse and shoulda or coulda used 70-71 Boerwinkle.
either way go go all the way DameNation!
4/30/2022 4:26 PM (edited)
Posted by longtallbrad on 4/30/2022 10:37:00 AM (view original):
13) dontburnearl – David Robinson, Dwyane Wade, Manu Ginobili, Victor Oladipo, Derrick Favors, Larry Sanders, Cole Aldrich
Robinson and Wade: a pair of two-way monsters reminiscent of my Giannis-Wade duo of last season. I’m perplexed by the next two picks. Wade, Ginobili, and Oladipo make for a backcourt rotation that is way high on quality but heavy on usage and light on assists. Favors is fine. I like Sanders in this league, especially at SF. Aldrich brings a sparkling 800 minutes but is pretty low-usage to be backing up the Admiral. I don’t want to sell low on this team…I love the start, but this isn’t rounding out to be a conventional approach to roster-building. A wheel falls off in my estimation with the Oladipo pick. Still, earl always seems to have a plan. I think this bunch earns its way to the postseason dance, and some Missing Piece that isn’t visible yet maybe results in enough cohesion to result in making some real noise.

14) riftonapple – Larry Bird, Bill Russell, Bob McAdoo, Walt Frazier, Khris Middleton, David West, Desmond Bane
I’ll be curious to see what version of Bird rift decides to use. Better shooting and some 3s or better defense. Russell’s bump to the long-demanded 100 D rating seems to be good for elevation to the second round, at least for now. He’s now an Energizer Bunny edition of Camby. McAdoo slots in decently to round out the frontcourt. I love Frazier in this league. I always think of Clyde as a SG and use him accordingly, with a preference for the better efg% of his 71-72 season, but I don’t see a real PG here so my guess is that rift is opting for 69-70. Middleton is okay…the only season of his I would draft has killer efficiency but poor defense and not much more than 2000 minutes. I’ve never paid attention to David West at this cap level, but his out-of-nowhere, short-minutes 17-18 season could slot in behind Bird (notwithstanding the drop in usage). Zooming out, I like the first four picks and I’d run them with an undrafted PG with killer D and reliable hands, then bring the other three draftees off the bench for spot duty. Fighting for a playoff spot as things stand.

15) berkelon – Anthony Davis, Donyell Marshall, Jonas Valanciunas, Robert Parish, Danny Green, Mark Price
AD is a challenging centerpiece for me at this cap level. There’s everything to like about his 17-18 season, except that his lackluster 31.2 creb% obliges the ambitious owner to seek out rebounding help elsewhere in the lineup. berkelon doesn’t appear to have done so, but maybe said assistance will materialize within the undrafted souls making up the rest of the roster. Marshall still belongs somewhere near the hinge between the second and third rounds as a clean-playing SF with a valuable combo of boards, 3s, and D. Valanciunas has several very nice seasons with monster boards and awesome efficiency, but in none of them is he anything but a Swiss cheese defender. Paris appears to round out an interesting and probably effective rotation of big men. Green is a classic 3 and D role player but he doesn’t pass much, and neither does any draftee other than Price. This is a thoughtfully assembled lineup but my gut instinct is that they are an undrafted impact player away from making any real showing in the playoffs. I have a particular player in mind that ashamael sometimes likes to surprise the world by drafting.

16) copernicus – Kevin Durant, John Stockton, Alonzo Mourning, Jerry Lucas, Jarred Vanderbilt, Domantas Sabonis, Jaylen Brown
This is a groovy start and one I haven’t seen before. Durant went about where he should and Stockton usually goes late in the first. Then we’ve got two later round staples, Mourning and Lucas. Vanderbilt is a half-time, poor man’s Dennis Rodman. Brown doesn’t pass much for a guard, but then of course Stockton. Domantas presumably backs up Alonzo and Jerry. Sabonis, Jr. does everything important well expect defend, which he basically doesn’t do at all. Not clear yet whether Durant is playing more 2 or 3…maybe both? This is not copernicus’ first rodeo; he’ll find a basket of useful undrafted wings to cherry-pick from. Stockton was a steal and I dig the rotation of bigs. I think this is a nice way to build around Durant. Playoffs, maybe a deep run this time.

17) milest – Dennis Rodman, Kevin McHale, Eric Bledsoe, Terry Porter, Kyle Lowry, Andrew Bynum, Charlie Ward
Rodman may finally be settling into an appropriate draft range. There’s not a better rebounder in the sim, and he’s tenacious on D and gives you a few assists and even 3s. To my mind he brings greater flexibility than DeAndre because of his ability to start at the 3. He’s an utter cipher on offense, though. McHale is a classic pairing with Worm, although it basically removes the ability to plan for a rebounding advantage. I like the Bledsoe/Porter backcourt, and can see Lowry backing up both of them. Ward slots in as truly the perfect player to sub for Porter. This team desperately needs a center who puts points on the board. Enter Bynum with a nice combo of usage and efficiency. He boards okay, is kinda lackluster but not a total slouch on defense, and plays a ridiculously clean game for a scoring big. I don’t love this squad but I do like it. Playoffs, maybe a second round exit.

18) beloud – DeAndre Jordan, Scottie Pippen, Oscar Robertson, Chris Boucher, Chris Webber, Brandon Clarke, Daniel Gafford
DeAndre, to my surprise, has proven more than once to be a player you can build a contender around. Pippen is a second round staple. The Big O probably would have been available a round later and at least once has (appallingly) gone undrafted. Boucher, Clarke, and Gafford give you more actually more minutes than you need to establish a marvelously efficient and competent platoon at SF. Webber deserves love in this league and his usage is sorely needed, but I would play him at SF (97% effectiveness) due to his being a bit timid on the boards. There’s an undrafted guy or two I probably would have taken over him in the fifth round, sacrificing defense at one starting position in exchange for stronger rebounding. Overall I just don’t see this outfit as having enough offensive firepower or dreb% to take up a lot of space in the standings. Maybe one brilliant undrafted player away from the playoffs. As it is they strike me as a team that could beat anyone and lose to anyone depending on what Oscar has for breakfast.

19) jcred5 – Kevin Garnett, Hassan Whiteside, Klay Thompson, Dejounte Murray, Willis Reed, JaVale McGee, Shai Gilgeous-Alexander
I’m intrigued by this starting five, assuming that KG’s 02-03 season is being rolled out at SF. Add Reed’s 69-70 outing, newly reminted with 100 D rating, and Whiteside’s stellar half-time season, and you have one heck of a front line. JaVale is okay as first big off the bench and jcred shouldn’t have trouble finding a flawed but useful board lord from the shores of the Island of Misfit Toys. Klay is a high-usage 3 and D guy; Garnett’s passing makes up for his own lack thereof. I was wondering who would give Dejounte a try. My only hesitation with this team is that Murray and KG together bring a lot of usage at a risky level of efficiency. That aside, jcred’s squad is the frontrunner to dominate the glass and it brings several scoring options. I wouldn’t want to see these guys in my playoff bracket (assuming, of course, that I’m in a playoff bracket myself). I’ll go out on a limb and tag this bunch with possible contender status.

20) reeldeal01 – Moses Malone, Tim Duncan, Chauncey Billups, Tyrese Haliburton, Serge Ibaka, Al Horford, Robert Covington
I can’t recall ever seeing a Moses/Duncan duo. A very nice start on everything I look for in a frontcourt. Duncan, like Wade, brings an uncomfortable amount of usage for middling efficiency. Billups is a terrific addition. Yeah, his efg% is borderline woeful but he spaces the floor for Moses, is a legit floor general, defends well, takes a lot of FTs at great efficiency, and he makes very few mistakes. I’m not surprised someone grabbed Hamilton’s fine sophomore season at this point in the draft. Nothing not to like so far. I do have a little trouble getting excited about Ibaka, only cuz you can’t get all the things to like about him in one season. The main reason I always seem to end up shying away from him is his mediocre rebounding, which leaves the apparent starting 5 a tad weak in that department despite the presence of the mighty Malone. Horford can back up the entire frontcourt and Covington slides into the starting lineup as a classic 3 and D SF. Overall, a bit high on usage, a bit low on boards, a bit middling on pizzazz. I’ll say playoffs.

21) HDS1 – Clint Capela, Charles Barkley, Bill Walton, Andrei Kirilenko, Derek Harper, Patrick Ewing, Lonzo Ball
Just…astonishing. HDS reaches for Capela (I’m sure Clint would be pleasantly surprised to learn that in sim terms he is one of the 24 best players to play the game) in the first and trades the farm – and I mean all of the farm, down to the last rusty nail in the last rotting fencepost – for the opportunity to draft a second nifty but half-time and decidedly not spectacularly big man. I mean, nice pieces both, but between them you’ve basically filled one position and no one is scared yet. Then what happens? The Round Mound, who once was a lock for the top 10 in this league, slides to the top of the second round. Kirilenko and Harper, both of whom have been sliding in perceived value for many a season, materialize as quality role players. Ewing, whom I still maintain I would pick (and have picked) over Stoudemire and Mourning, shows up with efficient scoring and quality D. And Lonzo – even though he’s a half-timer in his best season – is a fine, understated addition to the backcourt. He and Harper make for a no frills, no fuss tandem. So help me, I kind of like this crew. The Little Engine that Could. The Zen of Draft Gaffes. Really hoping for playoffs here. If HDS’s squad edges either of my teams out for a final seed, I won’t mind at all.

22) Midge (B) – Kawhi Leonard, Hakeem Olajuwon, Zach LaVine, John Collins, Bobby Portis, Bogdan Bodganovich, Jon Barry
Holy potatoes, that’s a lot of usage in the first three rounds. Hakeem has gotten more popular in this league recently, which makes me happy in that he’s my favorite RL player of all time and has been since his first couple years in the league. He aspires to Kempishness with his fouls and turnovers, and you have to decide between slightly better efg% or better rebounding in picking a season. I haven’t seen J. Barry drafted in a long time. Either the real PG hasn’t been drafted yet or one of Kawhi’s lower-minutes / higher-passing seasons is coming our way. Collins and Portis make for a near-fearsome platoon at SF. (I’d go for actual fearsomeness if they shot more or played better defense.) I don’t see a PF on the squad yet, unless that’s meant to be Collins and/or Portis in which case I’d say I foresee losing the battle on the boards. Some marvelous talent out of the starting gate but too many missing pieces for me to be able to predict with confidence. On the fringes of the playoff hunt.

23) samuelyork93 – Ben Wallace, Jason Kidd, Jimmy Butler, Amare Stoudemire, Marques Johnson, Terrell Brandon, DeMarcus Cousins
Always a gamble when you get zippo usage out of the first two rounds. I don’t know how to use Butler in this league…maybe that’s why I don’t get how he fits in here. His 20-21 season is his strongest, in which case he’s a guard who boards well but takes 3s without making them. Amare is a sensible addition with his efficient high usage, but you have to compensate for his poor performance on the glass. Boogie is a really nice backup for Stoudemire. Brandon used to drafted regularly at this cap level but largely has given way to more recent guys with more efficient shooting. I really like Marques’ 77-78 season at SF…and now I’m back to figuring out what Jimmy is doing on the roster. I guess I’d give Jason the Ball, make Terrell and Marques the wings, and bring Jimmy off the bench to back up all three of them. Methinks not playoffs.

24) longtallbrad (A) – James Harden, Ben Simmons, Larry Nance, Buck Williams, Andrew Bogut, Kris Humphries, Ja Morant
I’ve long wanted to try pairing Simmons and Harden. The tandem gives me flexibility on the glass later, and Harden shoots enough 3s and FTs to make up for Simmons’ weaknesses in those areas. Neither is a slouch defensively, for which James’ mother thanks WIS staff. Nance is nearly a Simmons clone at SF without the assists and with even better D. Buck can’t keep his hands to himself but is decent to very good in all other categories of interest. Humphries and Bogut make for a solid big man rotation along with Buck – nothing amazing but really decent boards and efficiency to go with passable D. Ja backs up both Harden and Simmons. This team goes as far as the backcourt takes it. If the results are disappointing then I will have had fun with the experiment. At least a couple owners, including me, have won with Harden-led teams here but I obviously don’t have a strong second scorer except for the few minutes Morant and the Beard are on the court together. Pretty much nothing would surprise me.

Thanks for this! I did draft Magic Johnson, too, so hopefully things aren't quite as dire with regard to passing!
4/30/2022 4:45 PM
5) thomcat – Giannis Antetokounmpo, Draymond Green, Shawn Kemp, Deron Williams, Mikal Bridges, Anderson Varejao, Chris Gatling
Giannis definitely served me well last season. His couple of best seasons that, in my opinion, make him worthy of going so high in the draft are unnervingly low on minutes. Pairing him with Draymond makes for fascinating options. While I prefer on the whole to use Giannis at SF, he and Green virtually take care of assists, creating the possibility for a backcourt of efficient 3 and D guys, while providing a nice start on defensive boards and D rating. I don’t love the Kemp pick. Yes, he brings an efficient inside game as well as oreb% and defense. He’ll lead your team in mistakes, though. I get that he belongs in the third round in most ways. Maybe my lurking bias toward a sim game that errs on the side of reflecting reality tilts me toward whining that Kemp is not a “real center.” Anyway, Deron is a steal in the fourth round, but…it’s starting to look like you’re wasting money on unrealized assists. I might have gone with the by-now-undervalued Derek Harper for better D and fewer mistakes (to make up for Kemp’s proclivities). Or, what about Crash Wallace at SG to build a serious advantage on the boards? Varejao and Gatling are old standards…nice backup bigs at this cap level. You can’t do much better than Gatling as a sub for Kemp. The recent love for Mikal in this league feels like recency bias, which I have no problem with as long as we can call it what it is. His D rating in the sim is a pale imitation of his real-life impact on the court, which means that all he does for you is shoot efficiently, and that not very often.

Explanation: Had never drafted Giannis. I hesitate with low minutes in the 1st round pick but his production/minute is so off the charts that decided to pass on MJ and Shaq. I figured there are a lot of different ways to get to my usual playoff fringe finish. Surprised Draymond was there at 44 and yes, all-purpose SF who takes some of the pressure off getting assists in the backcourt. Could have paired Camby or Chandler with Giannis which may have been the standard way to go but even with fouls and all, Kemp's D, efg and rebounding sold me. So far low $$ and minutes spent so I felt I had some good options ahead. At this point in the draft PGs are at a premium. Was hoping Terry Porter would fall to me for his 3s or Frazier to continue with the good D. Not in the cards so with Deron somehow still there I felt he offered pretty good all-around offensive balance. Thinking this is playoff team right now. Loved Mikal Bridges' efg/3s and decent D with few fouls. Assists were no longer a concern anyway. Original thinking was to go with a rebounder to back up Kemp and a high usg/efg guy to back up Giannis. That led to Varajeo and Gatling. Was hoping Faried would stay available with 6 picks left. Should have drafted Faried and not Gatling in that spot. Filled in with backups CJ McCollum at PG, the unused Eddie House at SG, Henson at SF. Cut Gatling's minutes to 7 with 61% efg because his high usage season is only at 53% efg and thought the remaining backup squad would provide better efg. Backfilled those lost Gatling minutes with a combo of Biyombo and Terrence Jones. I figure 48-49 wins. Take off the usual 8 wins due to taxes, fees and other charges including the usual thinking we're better than we are and that leaves us at about 40-41 wins

Now I've convinced myself decided to go with with the high usg%, more minutes version of Gatling off the bench. Out goes Jones. In comes Brandon Wright who will mostly sit.
5/1/2022 8:51 AM (edited)
seapilots: Don't get me wrong, Boerwinkle is a stud. I believe it was the ghost of copernicus past who turned the WISNBA community on to his 70-71 season. And J. Allen was terrific for me last season. And yeah, that half-time Crash Wallace season is fantastic and in my opinion should result in him never going undrafted.
4/30/2022 6:12 PM
6) tarheel1991 – Nikola Jokic, Joel Embiid, Elton Brand, Anfernee Hardaway, Horace Grant, Pat Connaughton, Jon Konchar
Intriguing experiment. It’s a shame Jokic’s D rating tops out at 40; I honestly think he deserved at least a 60 for 21-22. I assume Jokic and Embiid start together and one of them fills in behind the other. And Jokic of course allows tremendous flexibility in rounding out the backcourt. I really like all of the first five players chosen in this league, but in my opinion Brand and Grant don’t belong on the same roster. Brand is a filthy defender and Grant is a marvelously efficient glue guy, but both are SFs in my book and slightly meh rebounders to boot. Penny is a nice addition who can go a round or so earlier if you can get your 3s elsewhere; he plays clean, can D up, and adds some FTs. tar is missing one starting guard but I’m sure he can pluck a decent role player from the undrafted basket. As for Connaughton and Konchar, I confess I had to look them up. Apparently they’re professional basketball players. Overall, I I expect this squad to struggle on the boards and end up just outside the playoffs.

While I understand why this wouldn't be expected, actually Brand and Grant are both starting - Brand at the 4, and Grant at the 3. Jokic/Brand/Embiid are the rotation at the 4/5. The full rotation is:

PG: Hardaway/undrafted guys
SG: Connaughton/Konchar/undrafted guys
SF: Grant/undrafted guys
PF: Brand/Jokic
C: Jokic/Embiid

We certainly may struggle some on the boards, at least when Jokic is out, but the starting lineup is 40.3/94.6, which is pretty respectable. (I originally intended to get more rebounds from my SG spot, but had to nix that when I realized I had a salary crunch.) I suspect our real downfall will be (1) mediocre defense, and (2) I paid too much for usage and not enough for efficiency.
4/30/2022 6:27 PM
berkelon: Jeepers, how did I completely omit Magic? Yeah, of course, your passing will be more than fine and that changes the overall forecast significantly. He's a pretty good haul from the second round.
4/30/2022 6:36 PM
13) dontburnearl – David Robinson, Dwyane Wade, Manu Ginobili, Victor Oladipo, Derrick Favors, Larry Sanders, Cole Aldrich
Robinson and Wade: a pair of two-way monsters reminiscent of my Giannis-Wade duo of last season. I’m perplexed by the next two picks. Wade, Ginobili, and Oladipo make for a backcourt rotation that is way high on quality but heavy on usage and light on assists. Favors is fine. I like Sanders in this league, especially at SF. Aldrich brings a sparkling 800 minutes but is pretty low-usage to be backing up the Admiral. I don’t want to sell low on this team…I love the start, but this isn’t rounding out to be a conventional approach to roster-building. A wheel falls off in my estimation with the Oladipo pick. Still, earl always seems to have a plan. I think this bunch earns its way to the postseason dance, and some Missing Piece that isn’t visible yet maybe results in enough cohesion to result in making some real noise.

I am curious myself to see how this all works out. I can't trust my own predictions anymore, as the last 3 leagues I've been in, I predicted average to slight above average results, and finish in second in all 3. A few notes - no missing mystery piece, as I was struggling for enough minutes due to my excessive usage. The excessive usage at least allow Aldrich to be a great backup center to DR as you mentioned (minutes, assists and even defense fit right in). I think the strengths of this team are obviously defense, and the team will draw a lot of fouls.
4/30/2022 7:06 PM
Posted by seapilots on 4/30/2022 4:26:00 PM (view original):
First off: Thanks LTB great eval read. It's tough to make predictions and it looks like a league with good parity.
Second off: I have 5th rd. buyers remorse with Bullwinkle so I've reduced his role and not going with that
70-71 monster year of his. Too high of a 19 TO% I thought his creb and ast% would offset that but I'm having my
doubts about him.
Third off: I'm going with some highly rated undrafted instead. A MISTAKE well maybe or highly probable my
team will have about the same outcome either way.

9) seapilots – Dwight Howard, Damian Lillard, Gary Payton, Jarrett Allen, Tom Boerwinkle, LaMarcus Aldridge, Marvin Williams
Dwight, properly used, is a monster in this league. Two of my four 52mil championship teams started with him. Lillard spaces the floor helpfully, Payton covers for Lillard on defense and takes pretty good care of the ball while he’s at it. Allen and Boerwinkle make for a funky frontcourt rotation. Boe should have gone earlier and might fit better somewhere else. Pairing a legit board lord with Howard is scary, but I’m not sure his wicked ast% was needed, his D is unimpressive, and he loses the ball a lot for someone with his low usage. Defense is not exactly worrying me but it could/should be better. I have never been able to get excited about Aldridge in this league. Either other owners see something I don’t (which certainly possible) or he's benefiting from a recency bias sheen. I can see this crew making the playoffs and maybe the second round, but I don’t think they go farther.

I really like the first three picks. J Allen is efficient and even though low minutes a solid pairing with Dwight
with 4th selection.
Using LaMarcus 21-22 which is a very good off the bench. 22 U% 56 efg% 69 D 12 TO% not much of a
rebounder but versatile at 3,4 & 5. Also using C.J. McCollum's short stint with the 21-22 Pelicans. Not much D
but he put up some terrific stats and was a great addition for N.O. this season.
I'm filling the unused Boerwinkle minutes with undrafted Gerald Wallace and his 100D $4M year.
It also frees up some $ to get a low minute but very effective Larry Nance Jr. and I'm using an Ed Davis year to
provide some creb and efficiency. Pretty confident about securing a playoff spot but who knows after that?
If I don't make the playoffs I can kick myself in the asse and shoulda or coulda used 70-71 Boerwinkle.
either way go go all the way DameNation!
I really like Boerwinkle, I think his Rbs and Asts make up for his D and TO's. I like to bring him off the bench but still play his full minutes and just move the starting Center over to play some back up PF when he comes in.
4/30/2022 9:58 PM
1. Moses Malone- Elite offensive rebounding. Good defense, defensive rebounds, fouls and usage. Middling EFG. Weakness- assists, steals, blocks, turnovers.

2. Tim Duncan- Great defense, blocks and usage. Good offensive and defensive rebounds, assists, fouls and turnovers. Middling efg and steals

3. Chauncey Billups- wanted assists, threes and defense

4. Tyrese Halliburton- planned on getting Boucher here, but Beloud picked him a couple picks before me. Thought about Valanciunus, but the 20-21 season that I liked did not work out minute-wise with Duncan and Malone. I was going to pick Halliburton next round but decided I would just wrap up assists and 3s now and not have to worry about them. I like to have 60 plus assists on my teams across the board and average around 19-20 three attempts per game.

5. Serge Ibaka- wanted a small forward with high rebounds, high D, and preferably high efg with manageable fouls. Thought about Brandon Clark but I can get him later (screwed that up). I also thought about Gerald Wallace. I went with Ibaka because I was a little weak at blocks and he takes care of that. Also, his offensive rebounding of 12 is great for a small forward. His defensive rebounds of 17 I can live with.

6a. Al Horford- I was going to pick Brandon Clark but he went undrafted last time and I have another pick in 5 picks. Horford has a better chance of being picked. Besides If Clark happens to be picked I will just take Daniel Gafford.

6b. Robert Covington……Beloud you sorry SOB. Frustratingly picked what I thought was best remaining shooting guard small forward.

Tried different line ups with high minute Covington and was unhappy with all. Decided to go with 2 high defensive undrafted guys and use Covington’s low minute 21-22 season.
4/30/2022 10:28 PM
lol sorry about that, reel
4/30/2022 11:13 PM
Posted by reeldeal01 on 4/30/2022 10:28:00 PM (view original):
1. Moses Malone- Elite offensive rebounding. Good defense, defensive rebounds, fouls and usage. Middling EFG. Weakness- assists, steals, blocks, turnovers.

2. Tim Duncan- Great defense, blocks and usage. Good offensive and defensive rebounds, assists, fouls and turnovers. Middling efg and steals

3. Chauncey Billups- wanted assists, threes and defense

4. Tyrese Halliburton- planned on getting Boucher here, but Beloud picked him a couple picks before me. Thought about Valanciunus, but the 20-21 season that I liked did not work out minute-wise with Duncan and Malone. I was going to pick Halliburton next round but decided I would just wrap up assists and 3s now and not have to worry about them. I like to have 60 plus assists on my teams across the board and average around 19-20 three attempts per game.

5. Serge Ibaka- wanted a small forward with high rebounds, high D, and preferably high efg with manageable fouls. Thought about Brandon Clark but I can get him later (screwed that up). I also thought about Gerald Wallace. I went with Ibaka because I was a little weak at blocks and he takes care of that. Also, his offensive rebounding of 12 is great for a small forward. His defensive rebounds of 17 I can live with.

6a. Al Horford- I was going to pick Brandon Clark but he went undrafted last time and I have another pick in 5 picks. Horford has a better chance of being picked. Besides If Clark happens to be picked I will just take Daniel Gafford.

6b. Robert Covington……Beloud you sorry SOB. Frustratingly picked what I thought was best remaining shooting guard small forward.

Tried different line ups with high minute Covington and was unhappy with all. Decided to go with 2 high defensive undrafted guys and use Covington’s low minute 21-22 season.
Haliburton was a good pick; I was hoping to snag him with my 4th. Basically a clone of Terry Porter's best season, but with slightly lower efg and slightly higher defense.
5/1/2022 1:22 PM
Explain myself: (keep in mind this is my 2nd time playing and I am still figuring things out)

.Larry Bird (Rd 1 #14) - I 100% believe Rodman is the correct pick here. But, I had Rodman the last season and wanted to try
something different.

Bill Russell (Rd 2 #11)-- so I had already projected Stockton, but most likely Magic, to fall to me and had been building imaginary
dream teams when my dreams were shattered (Bird & Magic on same team!). I LOVE wis Bill Walton but figured I am just not good enough
yet to draft a half timer this early. It came down to Wade and Russell and I will probably rue the day that I didnt
draft Wade but I was thinking: probably going to use 90D Bird who has a lower efg and just didn't feel good
about a lower efg Wade, which makes no sense since I went with real low efg Russell. But, I didn't trust KAT
low D especially since I was projecting McAdoo to fall again to me in the 3rd who has only 73D. Russell with
100D is still relatively untested, and I know that with being so early in my learning curve with other owners, I figured
he was worth a shot and with his low Usage he may not hurt me so bad on offense.?...

Bob McAdoo (Rd 3 #14)-- McAdoo had a tremendous year for me last year. Now, looking at the dynamics of this team
vs last year's I do not expect him to put up quite the same #'s as last year (he'll face more opponents top inside defenders this year since he doesn't have McHale to pair with). But, with that being said and since this will be my 2nd time in a row with him and probably will not ever pick him again just to change things up, I will say...---McAdoo should NEVER EVER make it past the 2nd round. Last season he was
the 13th leading scorer, 20th in RBs, 13th blocks, 14th in FTM, & 11th in MVP. 25ppg 56%FG% 10.6 Rbs 2.8 Blk

Walt Frazier (Rd 4 #11)-- was looking for Oscar here but he was taken in 3rd rd. Toss up pick between Walt, Penny, & Deron. With Bird &
Russell already having good Ast% I opted for Walt's D + has more playable seasons than Penny and I would have options on what season to go with depending on how the rest of the draft went. (I am leaning toward higher efg% 69-70 season and yet still playing him at the PG.) (Paranoid @ my lower eFG% already and there's a lot more high efg SG's than there are PG's to choose from.)

K. Middleton (Rd 5 #14)--my toughest pick to make. I had been tinkering with how to fit Montrezl in to a front court of Russell/McAdoo/Bird when
Montrezl was finally selected (way too late imo). I was running all kinds of SG scenarios and I guess the one thing that helped other than the fact I already had a very strong Defense was that my team's DREB% for my starting 5 would be just a tad over 100% with KMID. NOW, I have NO idea if this helps at all but I have always read that you want to target 90%+ DREB% so I figured it was worth a shot. Plus, I had already gone the route of more Ast's the previous season with Payton & Lowry and decided to try more Rbs this time.

D.West (Rd. 6) --- I already have major minute eaters inside & Russell & McAdoo can both play C/PF and I don't really want a higher usage guy than McAdoo to come in for Russell or Bird and take away from Mac's shooting so it came down to Farried or D.West and while I LOVE Farried's rebounding I just decided to go with the efficient shooting 100D West.

Bane (Rd.7) ---- such a punch in the gut when Bogdanovic was picked early in 6th. Another one of those how I can I do something
different & new but not necessarily stupid crazy to potentially close my knowledge/experience gap. Bane had a very good 21/22 season albeit weak on D at 55. But, if I already coveted Bogdanovic coming off the bench with his 61efg% but 50D then why shy away from Bane's 55D? I seriously considered '08 JR Smith but knew that that's already been done b4 so lets go with something no one has ever tried b4....228 3PM at 43.5%, double digit Asts & DREB and 8.7 TO%. And, I just couldn't find that PG that would fit my team to allow me to move Walt to SG.

Biggest Concerns.......Russell trying to shoot the ball too much/team's overall eFG%, not thrilled with my OREB%, regretting not taking Wade

Realistic Expectation.....I really expect this year to be a learning experience, but a fun one. I think I'll hover around .500 all year and be frustrated at each of my player's shortcomings. They all have great strengths, but none are 100% complete sim players in this theme. They will struggle to gel and won't make the playoffs but won't be terrible either.

We shall see......

5/1/2022 3:07 PM (edited)
I need to think harder.
5/1/2022 3:49 PM
That's funny, I took Bog Bog away from you then you took Bane away from me.
5/1/2022 3:52 PM
Trade? :) ;)
5/1/2022 4:06 PM
◂ Prev 1...5|6|7|8 Next ▸
$52 million draft league commentary Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.