The 52 Draft League #77 Rosters/Commentary Topic

albiband - What I like: The Diesel gonna diesel. I lke the Webber pick in the 6th. He does so much well and, along with Shaq, covers Vucevic's deficient defense. Looks like you'll have excess minutes at PF/C so you'll probably use Webber at SF for around 5-10 minutes a game? That'll be a strong rebounding lineup. Boatload of assists should boost your efg, which is already strong. Iguodala is a great fit (I assume you are using one of his GSW seasons). Nash, Vucevic, & AI will keep the foul total low. Faried will work the offensive glass like the Manimal he is. Concerns/Needs: Turnovers. A cool contest to keep track of would be to see how many times Nash, Simmons, Webber throw the ball into the stands. 1 point awarded for each row they clear. Might need some more 3 pointers depending on which Vucevic season you use, but that can be easily covered. Nash's D is always a concern but pairing him with Simmons and AI helps.

berkelon - What I like: Great rebounding team that will battle ysw for the top spot in that category on the Team Rankings page. Oscar in the 4th is never a bad pick. You addressed your lack of 3s in Round 6. This team is difficult to evauluate because other than Oscar (who's best season I think is obvious), everybody has multiple seasons to choose from. Concerns/Needs: The defense can be anywhere from mediocre to really, really good depending on which seasons you choose for the non-Oscars. I'm reaching trying to find another weakness/need but...too much usage? Everyone's efg% is in the same range (other than Giannis) at around 53%-56%, so maybe too much usage doesn't really hurt.

seapilots - What I like: Strong efg% overall and especially from your top 2 usg% guys. Kareem & Kyrie. Good amount of usage that will give you plenty of options in addressing needs with your last 6 roster slots. Concerns/Needs: The defense is solid but not great even if you choose to use Kemp's 100D season. But then again, maybe you go with one of Kareem's 100D seasons? I feel like defensive rebounding could be an issue. Ayton will help with that. Hard to believe but Muggsy Bogues actually had 4 seasons with a better dREb% than Penny's 95-96. C'mon man, you're 6 foot 8! Seapilots has a successful track record and I'm sure he'll have this team heading to the playoffs.

jhsukow - What I like: The Wood-Love 2-headed monster at SF is a beast on the defensive glass. And they will rain 3s down on your head both frequently and efficiently. 381 made threes at a nearly 40% clip from the SF position? Yes, please. They allow you to use the 88-89 MJ that's averse to shooting from downtown. The Wood-Love high dReb will also allow you to use the 100D Chandler season that's just so-so on the defensive boards. Concerns/Needs: Wood-Love, Sabonis, and McCollum won't be cofused for defensive stoppers anytime soon. Ho Grant to the rescue to help hide those defensive deficiencies. A backcourt player or two with a 20+ ast% is/are probably needed, depending on which McCollum season you use. Overall seems like a well thought out and executed plan by jhsukow.

stonedwheat - What I like: The first 3 picks (Admiral, JKidd, Camby). Great defensive start and good amount of boards. I can roll with Amare in the 4th. And Beal was instrumental in my championship run last season. You've got 3 high usg%, high minute guys at this point. Needs/Concerns: You lost me in round 6. I don't see the need for DBook and Pierce. Those 2 are gonna force you to play Beal/Pierce at SF which is really going to hurt you on the boards. I would've drafted one or two of the plethora of low usg guys that can play D and/or hit the offensive glass. You've got 5 roster spots left with very little money to spend.
10/25/2022 8:55 AM (edited)
Thanks for the eval beloud. I feel like you’re overrating the damage playing Marion and sg or horford at sf will do. Unless I don’t understand how this works there numbers should only be dropping by 2% which is very marginal and doesn’t really drop any of my players out of elite play.

Dirk has fine defensive rebounding and I don’t think this team will need a lot on the offensive boards. Still my offensive boards should always be in the 30s and and dreb close if not breaking 100.

Dirks defense sucks. I’ll be honest I don’t know how much a 7.5 tov rate matters. I have a hypothesis that it being 5% above average is just as important as having a player with 60% efg. I wanted someone who maximizes his usage. His high TS% along with low turnover should do that.
10/25/2022 12:45 PM
I would be careful how you value TS% as no player on the sim matches their FTA rate. Also I am pretty sure that the drop rate doesn't quite match the percentage effectiveness. I think the drop off starts declining a lot after 97-98%
10/25/2022 12:48 PM
Posted by samuelyork93 on 10/25/2022 12:48:00 PM (view original):
I would be careful how you value TS% as no player on the sim matches their FTA rate. Also I am pretty sure that the drop rate doesn't quite match the percentage effectiveness. I think the drop off starts declining a lot after 97-98%
Yeah for sure I never really play players below 98% I’ve seen there defensive numbers drop a lot more than the percent would make it seem. TS may not be great but Dirk should be getting to the line a good bit and shoots 90% not to mention his efg is already at 55%. He should be very efficient with his usage no Mayer what way you slice it.
10/25/2022 1:31 PM
Nice job on the evals. Thank you.
10/25/2022 4:22 PM
Sorry, got caught up in some family drama. Working on more evals now.
10/26/2022 12:32 AM
jethroeg - What I like: Great interior defense with Hakeem/Reed. Getting Magic in the latter half of the 2nd round was great. Klay takes care of Magic's lack of 3s and slows down the turnover train. I've always liked the '00-'01 Rasheed who isn't great in any category but he's a swiss army knife. Concerns/Needs: T Prince could've been had with a 6th Round pick and most likely the 5 post-draft slots. Even if you take Prince out of the equation, I'm seeing 17k-17.5k minutes and $48M spent already, meaning you'd have to use a small minute Prince season or risk going over the 52M. Maybe I'm not seeing something but the numbers aren't adding up for me.

NJswampdrago - What I like: This is a great defensive team. Every drafted player has 90+D season. The Mailman and DWade are a nice 1-2 punch. Concerns/Needs: Similar to jethroeg's situation, I feel like you are quickly running out of real estate. Without factoring in Horry, I see you at $46M already. Not sure which Horry season you plan to use, but it'll have to be a small one. Rebounding is going to be a problem as it seems you will have to use Bridges & Horry at SF.

HDS1 - What I like: I'm not sure if this is the best team, but it's definitely my favorite. I love the balance. KAT will be the only 20+ppg scorer but there are 5 others that will probably average between 13ppg and 18ppg. I don't think you can do a better job at hiding KAT's weak defense than what HDS1 just did. Two 100D post players in Gobert & Tree. AK-47 gives them a third 100D guy. I almost drafted Mookie in the 6th. HDS1 benfits from me second guessing myself. Plenty of 3s. One of the higher team efg% at this point. Looks like J Collins will see a lot of time (if not all) at SF. Concerns/Needs: I feel like the only thing lacking is assists. Interested to see who you add.

ty84moss - What I like: Defense wins championships and this team is loaded. Good luck scoring against AD/Ben Wallace in the post. The Glove and Nance Sr will lock you down too. 21-22 Clarke is the glue guy that gives you 15 mins/game of great production and versatility. Concerns/Needs: By my calculations AD/Ben/Boozer give you more than 8100 mins in the post. Are you planning to play AD at SF for 5 mins/game? Or just not use some of those minutes? Light on 3s but Miller begins to address that need. Also, gonna need to pick up some assists to stay above the 60 ast% threshold.

PBandJ - What I like: 660 3s at a 39% clip. Rebounding will be a strength. Everybody on this team passes the ball, 3000+ assists. Your opponent will have to earn their points. Very low foul total. Concerns/Needs: If you are using the seasons you posted in the forum, I think you will struggle to reach the 100usg threshold when KD is on the bench (which is around 20 mpg). Russell/Lucas/Boerwinkle give you 9000+ minutes at PF/C. That means Lucas will have to play SF for around 15 mpg. I'm not sure that's a recipe for success, since he'll be backing up KD. I thought maybe you will give KD some minutes at SG but Haliburton/Drexler/Price have already filled those minutes. You've only got about $1.7M left to fill 5 roster slots. Maybe you add one contributor at around $725k and then 4 minimum salary scrubs.
10/26/2022 4:59 AM (edited)
chewy3344 - What I like: Basically everything. chewy had a strong draft. Ewing is your go-to scorer and you were able to wait until the 6th to get him. Walton/93D and Ewing/88D cover JoVal nicely. Looks like Thad/Looney will be your SGs which will give you a huge rebounding advantage over almost every other backcourt. Concerns/Needs: Light on the 3s. Need a backup for CP3 and about 2100 minutes to fill at the SF position. But you've got more than $9M left and plenty of talent still out there.

jackedjamie - What I like: Cumulative efg% of your first 4 picks is north of 60%. 700+ 3s at 40%! Frontcourt rebounding is strong with Capela/Barkley/Humphries. Maybe you're using MPJr at the 2 and Barkley at the 3? That would give you a big rebounding advantage. Concerns/Needs: Where's the defense? No drafted player is above a 68D rating. Will you be able to slow down your opponents enough to win consistently? Drafting Mookie instead of Conley in the 5th would've at least given your backcourt some D. As for now, the backcourt def is 61, 51, 42. Need to upgrade that if possible. Assists are a little low as well, but you've got plenty of $$$ leftover to take care of that.

PirateSteve - What I like: Excellent team efg%. Hovering around 60% depending on which seasons you use. Strong offensive board board guys with DJordan, Poeltl, and Vanderbilt. You've still got more than $11M to spend. Concerns/Needs: Not much defense after the first 2 picks. Backcourt D is currently 42 and probably 54. Vanderbilt helps but not enough. More 3s are needed.

samuelyork93 - What I like: Great defensive start. The first 5 picks are all 90+, except Stockton who's an 80. Turnovers are low thanks to your 5th & 6th round picks. Rodman & Zo on the floor at the same time should work well. Concerns/Needs: I think you could benefit from high usg SG who can get buckets. Right now your top 3 usg guys are all from the PF/C positions. Around $8.5M left gives you plenty of options.

dontburnearl - What I like: The Luka/Kawhi pairing was successful for me last season. Oladipo and Kawhi cover Luka's poor defense. A great final pick in G Wallace allows Luka to slide down to defend the SF. Can't do much better than that with Luka. Favors/Allen are a nice pairing at PF. Fouls are low. I think this team is a threat to win it all. Concern/Needs: Turnovers could be a little high depending on who you add. Do you have enough ast% when Luka is on the bench? Probably need to add a high ast% guard to take care of that.

10/26/2022 7:28 AM
I usually always draft at least two 90D starters in my 7 picks. I see some teams over the years not having much D on their squads so I thought I would give it a try...But couldn't help myself when it came time to fill out the remainder of the team. Will see if it will be enough!
Thanks for the eval!
10/26/2022 8:28 AM
My lack of assists and TOs by by 3 highest minute plays are my biggest weakness.

Beloud - you didn't do your own team; it looks excellent, and I guess the only weakness I can find is a relatively low eFG% from your 2 of your players who are getting the most shots.
10/26/2022 8:34 AM
Getting ready to post the last 4 evals now. I ran out of steam so they might be a little short.
10/26/2022 8:36 AM
longtallbrad - What I like: 4 great rebounders in Moses/Buck/Bobi/Varejao. All have 40+ cReb except Buck who clocks in at just under 38. Not a bad sign when Buck Williams is your "weak" link on the boards. Foul total is low. FT shooting is around 78%. Concerns/Needs: Solid defense that has no real holes, but Larry Legend is your only 90+ D guy so far. Adding a couple more will help. You've only got about $5M left to spend but you don't really need much.

midge - What I like: KG does it all, and does it well. Pairing him with McHale is a great start. Most teams would be happy to have a couple three point bombers who shoot 40% from long range. This team has 5 (five!) that shoot over 42%. Already plenty of assists. Turnovers are really low. Jameer is your go-to guy in the 6th round. Concerns/Needs: Perimeter defense is 63, 60, 50, & 47. I noticed the same issue last season with your team and you made the Finals, so what the heck do I know? Rebounding is low right now but the center position is still waiting to be filled. You had the opportunity to draft the 3 Porters again but chose instead to go with 2 PORTers and 1 PORTis.

beloud - What I like: My numbers are slightly better than last season's team in almost every category. I did well last year grabbing a heavy minutes guy (Beal/3028) among the post-draft players. Trying the same thing again this season. I like my defense. Lowest rated guy is JaVale at 63. Concerns/Needs: My efg is lower than I'd like but hopefully I have enough offensive rebounds to offset that. Trying to build around Harden is a bit difficult. I think the challenge is to try and build a team that can win even on nights when he shoots 7-22 and 1-9 from downtown. Turnovers are higher than I'd hoped for.

hoopsdude - What I like: Great defensive start with Duncan/Doc. McAdoo at the end of the 3rd. oReb, dReb, and Ast all look good. Gasol is a solid backup for both Duncan and McAdoo. Concerns/Needs: I like C Ward but might've gone with Mookie as he gives you more 3s and a lower to%. You've only got about $4M left and you need to add some 3s to keep defenses honest.

10/26/2022 8:43 AM (edited)
I would have loved another scorer at the guard position but from what I saw there are none that I really think would actually improve my team. My the bench guard I am using has just under 21 usage% and that's it, but I think I am better off not taking shots away from my efficient paint scorers.
10/26/2022 1:00 PM
◂ Prev 1...5|6|7
The 52 Draft League #77 Rosters/Commentary Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.