New Obama Power grab. Topic

Of course the similarities are largely superficial.   And your impression of their intelligence is based on very, very little fact.    Palin wants to bomb South Korea so she's dumb because she doesn't know which Korea is which.  Or, quite possibly, she simply misspoke,    I bet that's happened to everyone at some point in their life.  She just happens to be in the public eye.  Stockdale says "Who am I?  Why am I here?" and bumbles thru a debate.    He's mocked by every late night show on earth.   I'm sure he was making a joke but, because he was nearly as prepared as Gore/Quayle(both who could be considered clown-like), he looked foolish.  He just happened to be on TV at the time.

Are either of them dumb, stupid or incompetent?  Highly unlikely because they've achieved more with the public eye watching their every move than you can hope to achieve while living in obscurity. 
3/23/2011 4:16 PM
Posted by genghisxcon on 3/23/2011 3:10:00 PM (view original):
I may be confessing to my own lack of comprehension here, but I'm not entirely sure if you understand that the similarities between Stockdale and Palin are largely superficial, and are deliberately wasting our time, or if you genuinely have gone swamphawk on us.
The similarity between them that matters is they were both judged as stupid by the popular culture based on a few gafees.

There is not, as some have suggested, a large body of stupid statements by Palin. In fact most of her interviews go great. The Kouric interview went great, except for the Russia line.
3/24/2011 6:26 AM
See what you guys have done?  You've put swamp on the same side of the fence as me with your shortsighted, limited views.    Thanks for that.
3/24/2011 8:03 AM
Posted by MikeT23 on 3/24/2011 8:03:00 AM (view original):
See what you guys have done?  You've put swamp on the same side of the fence as me with your shortsighted, limited views.    Thanks for that.
I, like Palin, have been declared stupid. People like you that see that I am right and they are wrong always need to qualify their support.

Sort of like a popular clique in High School. You cant hang out with the nerd and still eat lunch at the cool table.
3/24/2011 2:32 PM
For the most part, the left-wing-nuts around here are so far left that most moderates end up on the same side of the drastically tilted fence as right-wing-nuts like swamp.  Palin probably says a couple of profound things here and there amidst her goofy things, but you'll never hear about them from the media sources that the liberals listen to.
3/24/2011 2:48 PM
Posted by swamphawk22 on 3/24/2011 2:32:00 PM (view original):
Posted by MikeT23 on 3/24/2011 8:03:00 AM (view original):
I, like Palin, have been declared stupid. People like you that see that I am right and they are wrong always need to qualify their support.

Sort of like a popular clique in High School. You cant hang out with the nerd and still eat lunch at the cool table.
I didn't declare you stupid based on what anyone else said/posted.   I declared you stupid in the gun control thread.    You see, we're on the same side of the fence on the issue of gun ownership.   But you seem to think armed teachers is a good thing.   It isn't.  It just isn't.  Everyone wants to send their child into a safe enviroment when they shuffle them off to school.  But people with functional brains don't want their children around guns.  As I said then, you reminded me of Archie Bunker discussing how to prevent hi-jackings.   Arm all the passengers. 

And if you think I get to hang with the "popular clique" here at WifS, you're way off base. 
3/24/2011 3:07 PM
Posted by toddcommish on 3/24/2011 2:48:00 PM (view original):
For the most part, the left-wing-nuts around here are so far left that most moderates end up on the same side of the drastically tilted fence as right-wing-nuts like swamp.  Palin probably says a couple of profound things here and there amidst her goofy things, but you'll never hear about them from the media sources that the liberals listen to.
You'd think we'd hear it from swamp though, if Palin said something brilliant.

Of course that presumes he'd be able to recognize something brilliant if she said it... yeah, never mind. My bad.
3/24/2011 4:34 PM
Posted by antonsirius on 3/24/2011 4:34:00 PM (view original):
Posted by toddcommish on 3/24/2011 2:48:00 PM (view original):
You'd think we'd hear it from swamp though, if Palin said something brilliant.

Of course that presumes he'd be able to recognize something brilliant if she said it... yeah, never mind. My bad.
That's the main failing of the left in this country.... they try to demonize the right by emphasizing and publicizing the wing-nuts when they're at their worst.  And they begin to see everyone that might be slightly to their right as being part of the wing-nut, swamp brigade.  It's equivalent to assuming that Jesse Jackson, Sean Penn, and Michael Moore speak for all Democrats.

Oh, and don't expect Palin to ever say anything brilliant, but just don't assume that everything she says is non-sensical.
3/24/2011 5:16 PM
Their main failing? Wow, that's not too bad then. ;)

Just curious though: who would you point to as examples of mainstream right-wing and left-wing voices?
3/24/2011 6:16 PM
Posted by antonsirius on 3/24/2011 6:16:00 PM (view original):

Just curious though: who would you point to as examples of mainstream right-wing and left-wing voices?
I think more important is who you think of as mainstream left and right.
3/24/2011 7:08 PM

I meant "failing" as it referred to their rhetoric, but I'm pretty sure you knew that.

By definition, the right-wing and the left-wing aren't in the mainstream... unless you're referring to the media.
3/24/2011 7:26 PM
Not by my definition. By 'mainstream' I meant 'not extreme' - IOW the people the other side ignores when they try to demonize their opponents by only acknowledging the crazies.
3/24/2011 8:38 PM
Posted by toddcommish on 3/24/2011 7:26:00 PM (view original):

I meant "failing" as it referred to their rhetoric, but I'm pretty sure you knew that.

By definition, the right-wing and the left-wing aren't in the mainstream... unless you're referring to the media.
How are we using the term Right and Left wing and Mainstream.

1 About a third of all Americans support the Democratic party. They tend to be solid left wingers.
2 About a third of all Americans support the Republican Party. They tend to be solid right wingers.

That leaves about a third who swing from election to election. They are more moderate as a whole.

What is Mainstream?
3/25/2011 5:00 AM
The people who bounce between FOX and CNN while laughing about how differently they cover Obama doing NCAA brackets.
3/25/2011 7:58 AM
◂ Prev 1...7|8|9|10|11...13 Next ▸
New Obama Power grab. Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.