New Obama Power grab. Topic

With his arbitrary and unprecedented decision to no longer defend DOMA Obama again shows that the left views the world in terms of how to abuse any power they have to pull America farther to the left.

There is no basis for this decision.No Federal court has declared DOMA unconstitutional and the original vote was overwelming in favor of the bill.

2/26/2011 5:21 AM

I see you have been reading the christian science monitor ................AGAIN!!!!

2/26/2011 6:36 AM

WASHINGTON -- In a major policy reversal, the Obama administration said Wednesday it will no longer defend the constitutionality of a federal law banning recognition of same-sex marriage.

Attorney General Eric Holder said President Barack Obama has concluded that the administration cannot defend the federal law that defines marriage as only between a man and a woman. He noted that the congressional debate during passage of the Defense of Marriage Act "contains numerous expressions reflecting moral disapproval of gays and lesbians and their intimate and family relationships - precisely the kind of stereotype-based thinking and animus the (Constitution's) Equal Protection Clause is designed to guard against."

The Justice Department had defended the act in court until now.

"Much of the legal landscape has changed in the 15 years since Congress passed" the Defense of Marriage Act, Holder said in a statement. He noted that the Supreme Court has ruled that laws criminalizing homosexual conduct are unconstitutional and that Congress has repealed the military's "don't ask, don't tell" policy.

At the White House, spokesman Jay Carney said Obama himself is still "grappling" with his personal view of gay marriage but has always personally opposed the Defense of Marriage Act as "unnecessary and unfair."

Holder wrote to House Speaker John Boehner, R-Ohio, that Obama has concluded the Defense of Marriage Act fails to meet a rigorous standard under which courts view with suspicion any laws targeting minority groups who have suffered a history of discrimination.

2/26/2011 6:51 AM
Posted by swamphawk22 on 2/26/2011 5:21:00 AM (view original):
With his arbitrary and unprecedented decision to no longer defend DOMA Obama again shows that the left views the world in terms of how to abuse any power they have to pull America farther to the left.

There is no basis for this decision.No Federal court has declared DOMA unconstitutional and the original vote was overwelming in favor of the bill.

Neither arbitrary nor unprecedented. If the Justice Dept questions the constitutionality, they aren't obligated to defend it.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/02/24/us/24marriage.html

While it is rare for an administration not to defend the constitutionality of a statute, it happens occasionally. Congress may opt to appoint its own lawyers to defend the law, or outside groups may try to intervene. And while the Justice Department’s lawyers will no longer defend the law in court, Mr. Holder said the administration would continue to enforce the act unless Congress repeals it or a court delivers a “definitive verdict against the law’s constitutionality.”

http://balkin.blogspot.com/2005/09/john-roberts-and-sgs-refusal-to-defend.html

The Washington Post reports today that John Roberts was the point person in the Office of the Solicitor General in 1990 when that office decided not to defend the constitutionality of federal statutes that required minority preferences in broadcast licensing.

Thank you for...

1) Portraying you and your fellow conservatives as victims, again.

2) Reserving your greatest indignation for this particular issue. It says a lot about your character that you would try to score rhetorical points with a legally questionable statute that is ultimately based on bigotry.

3) Making other people do your research for you.

You spout more BS before 6am than most people do all day.

2/26/2011 6:52 AM

Uh, let's not lump swamp with all conservatives.  Please.

Many of us don't give a rip about who gets married or has abortions.

2/26/2011 7:12 AM
Posted by genghisxcon on 2/26/2011 6:53:00 AM (view original):

Neither arbitrary nor unprecedented. If the Justice Dept questions the constitutionality, they aren't obligated to defend it.

While it is rare for an administration not to defend the constitutionality of a statute, it happens occasionally. Congress may opt to appoint its own lawyers to defend the law, or outside groups may try to intervene. And while the Justice Department’s lawyers will no longer defend the law in court, Mr. Holder said the administration would continue to enforce the act unless Congress repeals it or a court delivers a “definitive verdict against the law’s constitutionality.”

The Washington Post reports today that John Roberts was the point person in the Office of the Solicitor General in 1990 when that office decided not to defend the constitutionality of federal statutes that required minority preferences in broadcast licensing.

Thank you for...

2) Reserving your greatest indignation for this particular issue. It says a lot about your character that you would try to score rhetorical points with a legally questionable statute that is ultimately based on bigotry.

Four lies in one post. Nice. The decision was neither arbitrary nor unprecedented, Obama didn't abuse any power, and there was indeed a basis for the decision.

swampfuck's getting more efficient in his dishonesty, at least.

Also, the implicit hypocrisy - this is an example of liberals trying to drag the country to the left and abusing power, but Gov Walker attempting to castrate public service unions under the guise of balancing the budget is just an example of elections having consequences - is tremendous.
2/26/2011 12:17 PM
1 it is arbitrary and unprecedented. It is rarely done, and has never been done over an issue like this.

I would hope that everyone agrees that most Americans oppose gay marriage. I would also hope that everyone agrees that there is no case law to support this action. Doma wasnt some hard fought close issue. It was voted on by a huge majority.

This goes far beyond what any president has ever done.

This has nothing to do with your support for gay marriage. This is about Constituitonal powers granted a President of the United states.

Remember this isnt about equla protection in housing, jobs or any other area. It isnt about Civil Unions, available to almost all gay couples. This is about a narrow issue of the legal technicality of Marriage.
2/26/2011 1:38 PM
Posted by antonsirius on 2/26/2011 12:17:00 PM (view original):
Posted by genghisxcon on 2/26/2011 6:53:00 AM (view original):

Thank you for...

Four lies in one post. Nice. The decision was neither arbitrary nor unprecedented, Obama didn't abuse any power, and there was indeed a basis for the decision.

swampfuck's getting more efficient in his dishonesty, at least.

Also, the implicit hypocrisy - this is an example of liberals trying to drag the country to the left and abusing power, but Gov Walker attempting to castrate public service unions under the guise of balancing the budget is just an example of elections having consequences - is tremendous.

I think that sums it up pretty much perfectly.
2/26/2011 2:07 PM
Posted by swamphawk22 on 2/26/2011 1:38:00 PM (view original):
1 it is arbitrary and unprecedented. It is rarely done, and has never been done over an issue like this.

I would hope that everyone agrees that most Americans oppose gay marriage. I would also hope that everyone agrees that there is no case law to support this action. Doma wasnt some hard fought close issue. It was voted on by a huge majority.

This has nothing to do with your support for gay marriage. This is about Constituitonal powers granted a President of the United states.

Remember this isnt about equla protection in housing, jobs or any other area. It isnt about Civil Unions, available to almost all gay couples. This is about a narrow issue of the legal technicality of Marriage.

Far beyond Watergate?

2/26/2011 2:09 PM
I can hear swamp now,"watergate, watergate, what watergate? I don't remember anything called that."
2/26/2011 4:18 PM
Watergate? Is that were Bill got the hummer?
2/26/2011 5:40 PM
Posted by The Taint on 2/26/2011 2:09:00 PM (view original):
Posted by swamphawk22 on 2/26/2011 1:38:00 PM (view original):

Far beyond Watergate?

I meant beyond whay any president has done in this context.
2/27/2011 1:55 AM
Because you say so?
2/27/2011 2:31 AM
While I think about it, were you planning on sending me a gift certificate for checking your facts for you, or shall I just send you an invoice for my services?

I would also like to suggest that, in the future, you have someone check your work for accuracy before pressing the "Submit Post" button, if only to save yourself the ridicule you receive for posting such nonsense. I realize that you lack the self awareness to feel any shame over this, and indeed, as an attention whore with a persecution complex, you welcome the ridicule. Still, do it out respect for your parents, if nothing else.
2/27/2011 2:42 AM
Posted by genghisxcon on 2/27/2011 2:43:00 AM (view original):
While I think about it, were you planning on sending me a gift certificate for checking your facts for you, or shall I just send you an invoice for my services?

I would also like to suggest that, in the future, you have someone check your work for accuracy before pressing the "Submit Post" button, if only to save yourself the ridicule you receive for posting such nonsense. I realize that you lack the self awareness to feel any shame over this, and indeed, as an attention whore with a persecution complex, you welcome the ridicule. Still, do it out respect for your parents, if nothing else.

I do open myself to attacks from the left by standing loud and proud for less government and more freedom.

The fact that you can dig up an excuse why the actions of Obama are not an issue does not make you right. A minor FCC regulation? Really.

The reason this is major is because it was not a minor issue. It was a law passed for one specific reason. There is no vague middle ground here. A law was passed and the next president decided to not give it DOJ support. Nothing has changed, not SC decisions or new laws passed. No change in public opinions. Same nation, same issue.

Again this has nothing to do with the issue. If the Congress passed a law supporting gay marriage and President Palin stopped defending it in 2013 I would be just as outraged.

The idea that they did it a little so we will do it a lot leads to a very slippery slope. Will each new President get to pick and choose the laws that he likes?

And I always check my work for accuracy. Like the media in general there are very few of us that are presenting a Right Wing view of the world. Jclark, Doug and myself are the most vocal, and the most hated for it. We are not part of any alliance, and often see specific issues in a different light, but we are all feeling the Bush Factor!

Bush Factor: Being declared stupid, crazy or evil by the liberal controllers of information in any given arena, no matter how accomplished, intelligent or logical your life course is!

2/27/2011 6:42 PM
1|2|3...13 Next ▸
New Obama Power grab. Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.