DDL 8 commentary thread Topic

Through seven picks, no surprises whatsoever.  Personally I woulda taken MJ but you can't argue with the Diesel either.  As LTB said, the rest could have gone in almost any order with no eyebrows being raised.

It was a tough call for me, but went with Duncan by a hair due to OReb and defense.  The other guy I almost took will probably go in the next two or three.
2/9/2015 5:08 PM
This was the highest I've picked in one of these decade drafts and I'm not at all sure Rodman was worth it.  Given how long it will take to collect my third player I may wish I'd started with the Mailman, Admiral or Dream so I had a quality two-way cornerstone rather than piecing together an offense later in the draft.  No one in the decade (that I can think of) comes close to Rodman as a combination rebounder-defender, but I'm going to be scraping deep for assists, usage and efficiency by the fourth round. 
2/9/2015 9:55 PM
Took Shaq when I hadn't really looked closely at the 90's dbase, but having done so now, I would still take him first.

Where I normally hate picking as I would rather be in the middle of each round, but...... I think I am happy being first and getting Shaq.
2/9/2015 11:30 PM
Didn't like how the board fell to me at 12. Almost pulled trigger on Stockton then saw "The Dream", "The Admiral", and "The Mailman" in the division so I took Mutombo. Couldn't get another big man with my next pick that could play defense and rebound.
2/10/2015 1:13 AM
Posted by longtallbrad on 2/9/2015 9:55:00 PM (view original):
This was the highest I've picked in one of these decade drafts and I'm not at all sure Rodman was worth it.  Given how long it will take to collect my third player I may wish I'd started with the Mailman, Admiral or Dream so I had a quality two-way cornerstone rather than piecing together an offense later in the draft.  No one in the decade (that I can think of) comes close to Rodman as a combination rebounder-defender, but I'm going to be scraping deep for assists, usage and efficiency by the fourth round. 
I think it was a great pick personally. He's a big advantage at SF if you can get enough offense.
2/10/2015 9:18 AM
LTB you actually took Rodman at two overall in DDL 3 the first 90's draft.
2/10/2015 12:43 PM
I did? Yeesh, no wonder I'm not getting better at this game.  I have the memory of a goldfish.
2/10/2015 1:42 PM
Posted by kacyon on 2/10/2015 1:13:00 AM (view original):
Didn't like how the board fell to me at 12. Almost pulled trigger on Stockton then saw "The Dream", "The Admiral", and "The Mailman" in the division so I took Mutombo. Couldn't get another big man with my next pick that could play defense and rebound.
Sorry for the terrible pun but it truly is the Big East so far
2/10/2015 7:14 PM
I kind of wish I might have went with the Admiral instead of the Dream, but its splitting hairs-

I may have loaded up awful quick going with Parrish in second -
but hell, instead of following conventional thinking starting inside then going perimeter with first two .....
Im taking a stand, and its in the paint

The Dream and the Chief.....
2/11/2015 8:44 PM
...for 3 seconds anyway. BTW, that's a violation I've never seen in the pbp.
2/12/2015 8:01 AM
never had to do so much research to pick a team we are past the point of my knowledge of 90s players
2/12/2015 9:26 PM (edited)
I don't feel great about my team, but I've picked a name.
Teenage Mutant Ninja Johnsons
2/12/2015 8:47 PM
Makes you appreciate how un-special the Bulls championships were, since the league basically sucked bear balls throughout the 90's. (Note the "Archer" reference ahead of the show.)
2/12/2015 8:49 PM
Not to take anything away from Jordan or Pippen, but I was always amazed at how dominant those teams were despite the stunning ordinariness of most of the roster.  A parade of lumbering, limited guys at center, some spot-up shooters, a refurbished Ron Harper, a few floor-burn hustlers, and not much else.  Grant was fine and Rodman was a genius addition, but the championship Bulls always seemed three players deep to me. 
2/12/2015 9:13 PM
But yeah, the players I get in the third and fourth round are going to be players I never expected to be excited to get in the third and fourth rounds of a draft league.  The pickings are getting slim.  Nobody comes without warts at this point.
2/12/2015 9:14 PM
1234 Next ▸
DDL 8 commentary thread Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.