Ask the 'Someone who isn't MikeT' thread. Topic

I use a 6 man rotation in ST and pitch them once 4-6 innings and rest afterward. BP guys 5-10 IP. Batters, ML guys 15 or less and then go more with ml guys.
4/7/2023 2:48 AM
Posted by hockey1984 on 4/6/2023 9:38:00 AM (view original):
MikeT always said 25 AB's for vets and 5 appearances for pitchers. I don't know if its true or not but I always go off of that. Then the young guys get all the rest of spring training.
I used to follow that formula. Now, I give my ML players who have maxed their development one start and then rest 'em. The young players who still have room to grow, regardless of current playing level, get to play the rest of ST.
4/7/2023 8:13 AM
I've completely stopped playing peak veterans-- those who are not gaining nor losing ratings-- in spring training. It hasn't made them lose ratings at all.

Because the developers once wrote that veterans needed to play in spring training to prevent "rust" and to prevent losing ratings, I play my very old players a bit in spring training. But I don't think that matters... I'm skeptical they actually programmed the "rust" thing into spring training. I do know that I get slightly large ST bumps from playing prospects in all 18 games.
4/8/2023 4:11 PM
What is the most you’d pay for a coach? I’m in a world right now where the top fielding instructor is going to go for over $6 million. That boggles my mind!
4/25/2023 7:28 AM
6 is a little high. If I need to sign a new FI, I budget an extra $3M.
4/25/2023 7:44 AM
That's my thought too. 3 mill for a good FI is nice, 4 is ok. When it starts getting into 5+ that is where I tap out.
4/25/2023 8:30 AM
If you have a bad FI, your fielding ratings on all of your players both major and minor leagues will suffer. I have seen it before, and it isn't pretty. I'm not sure what the minimum is for a FI to make sure this doesn't happen. I personally will budget $5M to get a good FI. I don't want to miss one of the top ones since it can do so much harm.
4/25/2023 1:10 PM
Having tried to observe this over a long period, I'm gonna generalize: Usually to my eyes, there are about three or four top tier FIs (85+) who are open for business every season. You miss out on them, you have to settle for someone in the mid 70s which - shouldn't? - hurt your prospects but maybe won't help them either. And if you're using an FI lower than that hopefully you're trying to develop your own. (I did that once, found a minor league coach with Fielding in the upper 50s and stashed him at 1B Coach until his rating got into the 70s.)

Point being that if I want to make sure I get one of those top three available, sure I'll go to 5 mil.

This all depends on your world and having an idea what the other owners are likely to pay.

4/25/2023 2:13 PM
Once while even more newbish than I still am, I posted q's about FI pricing and unawares what I was talking about suggested some of the prices being thrown around seemed excessive. Laughs and you don't know what you're talking about followed. Since then, I'm more convinced than ever that outlandish FI salaries is a well orchestrated conspiracy theory.

They might not be #1 or 2 or 3 on the available FI FA board (sometimes they are), but even at #'s 4 or 5 or 6 my four most recent FI new hires who've been with me for 7 seasons with starting rates of 86, 84, 84, 80, all for $2M or less. If you're diligent about the cycles and incremental raise wars, it's possible.

Also, as damag was kind enough to let everyone else in on the secret, they might have other attributes which after they out price themselves from my FI budget could possibly be retained as a capable less expensive ML Big3 other coach.

I don't know if my saving $2M+ or someone else losing $2M+ on a coach significantly helps me/hurts them elsewhere, but I like my evolution in this area. My top position prospects aren't hurting for regular fielding rate bumps.
4/25/2023 3:57 PM
Sorry for the letting everyone in on the secret part... I know other owners have done similar, probably assumed... well, we're all devious buggers around here. We're all looking for the advantages. And no one listens to my BS anyway.
4/25/2023 5:11 PM
if I find a top guy who also has high loyalty i'll go as high as 5M. I have had a 97 rated FI with 75 loyalty for 12 seasons. every 4 seasons or so he'll require a big payday, but the 750k all the other years is worth it. Also a lot depends on the World's available FIs which varies greatly, and the other 31 owners.
4/26/2023 2:46 PM
What is a good World to join for a new player that does not want to be or feel over matched with many veterans in the World? Thanks and enjoy reading all the post in here.
4/28/2023 7:02 AM
What is a good World to join for a new player that does not want to be or feel over matched with many veterans in the World? Thanks and enjoy reading all the post in here.
4/28/2023 7:02 AM
Posted by LoneStar23 on 4/28/2023 7:02:00 AM (view original):
Every world will have a mix of veterans and new folks. There isn't a "beginners" world.

Besides, it's better to join a world with knowledgeable and friendly veterans that can help answer questions as they come up.

Walter Johnson is about to roll and is one such world.
4/28/2023 11:21 AM
Posted by LoneStar23 on 4/28/2023 7:02:00 AM (view original):
Stickball would be a good league for new owner. Very helpful owners in the league. The season will be ending soon and usually doesn't need many to fill the league.
4/28/2023 11:23 AM
◂ Prev 1...105|106|107|108|109...112 Next ▸
Ask the 'Someone who isn't MikeT' thread. Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.