Lets debate! Topic

Posted by The Taint on 1/29/2019 4:07:00 PM (view original):
Posted by strikeout26 on 1/29/2019 4:05:00 PM (view original):
We'll discuss abortion tomorrow just for you, because I need to do some work and that is quite an in-depth debate.
I'm in Reno all day tomorrow. Home Thursday, Vegas for Super Bowl until Tuesday. How about next wednesday? Lol
Wednesday has it. I have avoided Atlanta like the plague this week. I will be glad when Sunday is over.
1/29/2019 4:09 PM
Posted by cccp1014 on 1/29/2019 4:08:00 PM (view original):
Posted by The Taint on 1/29/2019 4:02:00 PM (view original):
Posted by strikeout26 on 1/29/2019 2:24:00 PM (view original):
We all have government protections. It doesn't give the government the right to intrude on our lives. It should work the same for businesses. It's the government's job to protect.

Okay, I agree that when businesses start taking handouts from the government they have now sold their sole and relinquished their freedoms. This creates crony capitalism and is very dangerous.

You didn't answer the last question.
So you agree abortion ahould be up to the individual and government should have no say?
Gov't has say in terms of how much money I can pay my employees. Gov't has a lot of say.
Why is that?
1/29/2019 4:10 PM
We all have government protections. It doesn't give the government the right to intrude on our lives. It should work the same for businesses. It's the government's job to protect.

Okay, I agree that when businesses start taking handouts from the government they have now sold their sole and relinquished their freedoms. This creates crony capitalism and is very dangerous.

So you agree abortion ahould be up to the individual and government should have no say?
Gov't has say in terms of how much money I can pay my employees. Gov't has a lot of say.
I am against minimum wage as well. Capitalism is not perfect, but I trust it much more than the government.
1/29/2019 4:10 PM
Posted by The Taint on 1/29/2019 4:10:00 PM (view original):

Why is that?
You're the Leftist. You tell me. I like KO am a Libertarian.
1/29/2019 4:17 PM
LOL.

you are no longer Boris, you are the Chameleon
1/29/2019 4:23 PM
I am certainly anti Left. I think any political faction that is threatened by the likes of Ben Shapiro has major issues.
1/29/2019 4:25 PM
Posted by strikeout26 on 1/29/2019 1:44:00 PM (view original):
As a libertarian, I want government out of my life completely. California is now requiring companies to have at least 1 woman on their board of directors by the end of 2019 and must have at least 2 by the end of 2021. Government should not be involved in companies decisions. This is major government overreach.
I agree,strikeout. Companies should be allowed to hire the people they see as the best people for whatever job they are looking to fill, regardless of race, gender or religion or sexual orientation. On the other hand, they should not be allowed to not hire a great candidate because of race, gender, religion or sexual preference.
1/29/2019 4:26 PM
Posted by wylie715 on 1/29/2019 4:26:00 PM (view original):
As a libertarian, I want government out of my life completely. California is now requiring companies to have at least 1 woman on their board of directors by the end of 2019 and must have at least 2 by the end of 2021. Government should not be involved in companies decisions. This is major government overreach.
I agree,strikeout. Companies should be allowed to hire the people they see as the best people for whatever job they are looking to fill, regardless of race, gender or religion or sexual orientation. On the other hand, they should not be allowed to not hire a great candidate because of race, gender, religion or sexual preference.
Why? Won't it harm the Company if they pass on a "great" candidate because of those reasons?
1/29/2019 4:29 PM
Posted by cccp1014 on 1/29/2019 4:25:00 PM (view original):
I am certainly anti Left. I think any political faction that is threatened by the likes of Ben Shapiro has major issues.
No one is threatened by Shapiro.

he can't even reach the podium without a stepstool.

****, he still has daddy sticking up for him. Lol.
1/29/2019 4:29 PM
Except for Loyola Marymount and Gonzaga it seems.

https://www.dailywire.com/news/42786/another-university-trying-block-shapiro-speaking-daily-wire

1/29/2019 4:31 PM
Posted by The Taint on 1/29/2019 4:29:00 PM (view original):
Posted by cccp1014 on 1/29/2019 4:25:00 PM (view original):
No one is threatened by Shapiro.

he can't even reach the podium without a stepstool.

****, he still has daddy sticking up for him. Lol.
How tall are you, Jeff?
1/29/2019 4:32 PM
Posted by strikeout26 on 1/29/2019 2:54:00 PM (view original):
Posted by bad_luck on 1/29/2019 2:44:00 PM (view original):
Posted by strikeout26 on 1/29/2019 2:34:00 PM (view original):
Posted by bad_luck on 1/29/2019 2:27:00 PM (view original):

We all have government protections but there are times when we waive our rights in exchange for something else.

For instance, when you open a bank (or other public accommodation), you give up the right to discriminate against your customers on the basis of religion.

Open a private club or church, feel free to discriminate. Open a bank, restaurant, etc., give up that right.

This brings up another interesting point and shows why your logic is flawed. Government screws everything they touch up. That's a fact. For instance, in effort to prevent discrimination, the government actually discriminates. A good example of this is the Oregon baker.
While I agree that there are plenty of things the government screws up (not everything, and there are plenty of things people/corporations screw up too), public accommodation laws preventing discrimination are not one of them.

If you want to run a public facing business, you have to agree not to discriminate on the basis of race, religion, sex, color, and country of origin. It's the federal civil rights act. If your own personal beliefs preclude you from adhering to that law, you have the option to not run a public facing business, but you are not being discriminated against.
It is more discriminatory to say that a Christian has to sell a cake to a gay couple than it is to say that baker has the right to not bake a cake for a gay wedding. It infringes upon religious freedoms. And that is the point here. Laws can have unintended consequences. If an effort to prevent discrimination in one area, you discriminate in another. This is why the less government involvement we have, the better.

There is a big difference between the government screwing something up and a business/corporation screwing something up. If the government screws something up, it affects society as whole. If a business/corporation screws something up badly enough they go out of business and it creates opportunity for a better run company to come along and take their place in the market. (Assuming we don't have Bush/Obama in office foolishly bailing them out).
A business (or anyone else) should be able to refuse to sell its product to someone it doesn't want to sell to. In the case of the baker who would not make a wedding cake for a gay couple, that is his prerogative. If the gay and lesbian community doesn't like that, they should not frequent his business.

Many restaurants will not serve someone with no shirt or shoes. Isn't that discriminating against people who like not wearing shirts of shoes?
1/29/2019 4:33 PM
5' 11"

my daddy quit sticking up for me when I was 12
1/29/2019 4:33 PM
Posted by cccp1014 on 1/29/2019 4:31:00 PM (view original):
Except for Loyola Marymount and Gonzaga it seems.

https://www.dailywire.com/news/42786/another-university-trying-block-shapiro-speaking-daily-wire

Gonzaga is hardly to the left.

Both of those are private I believe?
1/29/2019 4:34 PM
Posted by cccp1014 on 1/29/2019 4:29:00 PM (view original):
Posted by wylie715 on 1/29/2019 4:26:00 PM (view original):
Why? Won't it harm the Company if they pass on a "great" candidate because of those reasons?
so, you think its okay for a company to discriminate on the basis of race, religion, gender or sexual orientation? Why am I not too surprised.
1/29/2019 4:36 PM
◂ Prev 1|2|3|4|5|6...230 Next ▸
Lets debate! Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.