Ask the 'Someone who isn't MikeT' thread. Topic

Posted by hockey1984 on 2/11/2019 7:51:00 AM (view original):
Posted by jamier2003 on 2/8/2019 3:24:00 PM (view original):
Would you draft a player with ridiculously high projections at a position of need (with 20 scouting budgets across the board) yet sub-50 health ratings (20 health budget as well) or would you target someone else?
I love players like this because you can get them later in the draft and you can actually make them exceed their projections when they get injured due to their medical.

The trick is trying to figure out when to injure them if you are a playoff contender. (Obviously there is no way to make sure they get injured but if you play them more there is more chance they will get injured) typically you want them to get injured at the start of the season, then be back for a playoff run or the end of the season when it counts.

Jair Sanchez was my pet project for that and it worked well. Had to break him a bunch but his ratings got waaaaaay over what they were projected to be.
I've tried this before with mixed results. My current pet project is Player Profile: Rob Osich - Hardball Dynasty Baseball | WhatIfSports but I'm worried his patience isn't high enough to get those ratings up. I generally see improvement in training ratings like durability, power, range, etc. I have not seen huge improvement in splits, contact, etc so I have hesitated to put them on the 60 day. Have you seen ratings increases in those non-training ratings?
2/11/2019 9:56 AM
For sure. If i'm not mistaken, the type of injury effects which ratings will improve.
2/11/2019 10:15 AM
Posted by strikeout26 on 2/11/2019 10:15:00 AM (view original):
For sure. If i'm not mistaken, the type of injury effects which ratings will improve.
Strikeout is correct. I think chest and pectoral is usually just health and durability.

The best way to check is whichever ratings took the hit are the ones you will get back. Occasionally you will get something that didn't take a hit but its rare.
2/11/2019 10:29 AM
Lowest vR you've had in your rotation who deserved to be there?
2/11/2019 1:40 PM
I've probably had lower but, despite pjfoster's constant nagging I value defense very highly. So Fernando Espinosa fits the bill right now. He's in the main lineup against lefties and then is a defensive substitution against righties.
2/11/2019 1:50 PM
Posted by opie100 on 2/11/2019 1:40:00 PM (view original):
I'm guessing by rotation you mean pitchers?
2/11/2019 2:39 PM
Posted by opie100 on 2/11/2019 1:40:00 PM (view original):
Player Profile: Keith Hermansen - Hardball Dynasty Baseball | WhatIfSports
2/11/2019 3:19 PM
Hermansen will soon start demanding too much money for a career 1.37 WHIP guy
2/11/2019 3:23 PM
Posted by hockey1984 on 2/11/2019 1:50:00 PM (view original):
I've probably had lower but, despite pjfoster's constant nagging I value defense very highly. So Fernando Espinosa fits the bill right now. He's in the main lineup against lefties and then is a defensive substitution against righties.
.625 is fine. He's playable

Trust me I've played some guys I've not proud of, but I am always on the lookout for a shortstop who can hit and field postively. It's the most valuable lineup resource. I've got a guy on most of my teams who fits the bill right now
2/11/2019 7:59 PM
Does pitch type (Fastball vs. Slider Vs. Sinker, etc.) have any impact on the game?
2/12/2019 3:17 AM
No. Purely cosmetic.
2/12/2019 6:58 AM
Posted by pjfoster13 on 2/11/2019 7:59:00 PM (view original):
Posted by hockey1984 on 2/11/2019 1:50:00 PM (view original):
.625 is fine. He's playable

Trust me I've played some guys I've not proud of, but I am always on the lookout for a shortstop who can hit and field postively. It's the most valuable lineup resource. I've got a guy on most of my teams who fits the bill right now
Oh. Just wait pj. If Troy Zimmerman can learn to hide some Pine Tar in his glove he'll be taking over for Espinosa in a few years. Not too happy about his batting eye but the other stats work for me.
2/12/2019 12:51 PM
My team has above average fielders all around the infield and a fair amount of groundball-heavy pitchers. Why am I dead last by a wide margin in double plays? Sample size or is there something I'm missing? I had worse fielders last seasons and was middle of the pack in twin killings.
2/12/2019 12:51 PM
I don't get a lot of top 5 draft picks, but I actually have one now. Regardless of needs, what do you like to target with a top 5 pick if SP is pretty much out of the question, no good ones who will sign? Is a closer, and likely best overall pitcher on the board, worth it? We're talking 100+ inning guy. One of those SS who can hit according to ratings but might end up becoming a 3B instead but is rated the highest by WIS rankings? a 1B beast of a hitter who isn't rated as highly overall but is clearly the best hitter in the draft?
2/12/2019 4:16 PM
Posted by jamier2003 on 2/12/2019 4:16:00 PM (view original):
I don't get a lot of top 5 draft picks, but I actually have one now. Regardless of needs, what do you like to target with a top 5 pick if SP is pretty much out of the question, no good ones who will sign? Is a closer, and likely best overall pitcher on the board, worth it? We're talking 100+ inning guy. One of those SS who can hit according to ratings but might end up becoming a 3B instead but is rated the highest by WIS rankings? a 1B beast of a hitter who isn't rated as highly overall but is clearly the best hitter in the draft?
My personal draft board, best hitters go to the top, doubly so for those who can play a premium fielding position.

2/12/2019 4:45 PM
◂ Prev 1...3|4|5|6|7...112 Next ▸
Ask the 'Someone who isn't MikeT' thread. Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.