Under Construction: Rebuilding Las Vegas Topic

We'll see. Your going up against the favorite for Cy Young this season.
4/24/2007 3:04 PM
Not saying we'll win. I just don't expect to get blown out at home. We're gonna get smoked in hitter's parks.
4/24/2007 3:05 PM
Opening Day roster change:
Zephyr Smith was sent down. We expected him to be useless but kept him around because we didn't have better options.
However, as noted yesterday, we signed a defensive replacement by the name of Alan Cogan. He's 33 and can't hit a lick. But he's 80+ across the board defensively and we need that. 950k.
4/24/2007 3:09 PM
Quote: Originally Posted By marsrover21 on 4/24/2007We'll see. Your going up against the favorite for Cy Young this season
You mean Season 6, right?
4/24/2007 3:36 PM
6-1 victory in game 1!!!
Corino, Laker and Santos all drive in 2.
Sadly, we make 3 errors. I think that's going to be a trend. But Clint Robinson handled two chances cleanly in RF.
4/24/2007 8:22 PM
Quote: Originally Posted By MikeT23 on 4/10/2007
This will be my first team that I won't try to win with immediately. I don't want to "give up" a season but I definitely have to look towards season 3.

This is tougher than I thought. After opening with a win(and looking at the rosters of my divisionmates), I momentarily thought we could contend. My first reaction: OK, what position do I need to shore up? However, I have to accept that we're not a contender and stick to the plan.
4/25/2007 8:42 AM
Your pitching seems stellar so far...
4/25/2007 11:20 AM
I think it's more park effect. My guys are just slightly above average. And my D is less than stellar.
And you'll probably score quite a few in the PM game. You've faced my best now you get the rest.
4/25/2007 11:25 AM
15 game update:
We're about where I expected to be with a 7-8 record. We've scored and allowed 61 runs.
We've made several moves, mostly centered around pitching, to attempt to be more competitive this season. We waived 9.8m, 35 y/o P Seth Ramsey and traded Stan Fonda, a 25 year old P who didn't figure into our plans.
We acquired Cole Ardoin-P and Quinton Rivera-LF, 28 year olds who should be around when we can make a run. John Oliver, 26 year old P, was promoted and we signed two older pitchers to help out this season. We now have about 8m in unused salary.
We're 21st in runs scored and 11th in runs allowed. We're working on some moves to get better hitting but it just isn't happening.
Clint Robinson, our fielding project, is errorless this season. He's playing mostly RF but has seen time in LF/SS/3B.
4/30/2007 9:30 AM
33 Game Update:
We hit a rough patch against the top teams in the league. We stand at 12-21. The problem is our hitting. We're 28th in the league in runs scored with 130. We could make some adjustments but I'm sticking with the plan and the youngsters will get their AB.
The pitching is doing fine. We're 9th in the league in ERA and have allowed 156 runs(32 unearned). We're continuing to fine tune the staff as we're really struggling with fatigue. I think we'll have a fine staff next year.
The reason we're struggling with fatigue is because of our fielding. We're 2nd in the league in errors made with 40. Our SS, Jerome Hynes(67 glove), has 21 of those with a sporty .882 fielding percentage. He's developing but he won't be a SS when all is said and done.
And that brings us to Clint Robinson. He's our boy who projects to be a fantastic fielder but has taken a beating due to poor coaching. He's going to gets his P/T everywhere but mostly in RF. We're hoping he develops into our SS of the future. Only 3 errors so far this season(2 at SS in 12 innings).
Of our 21 losses, 8 are by one run and 6 more are by two. We're in the game but we've got to start winning a few of those.
5/6/2007 10:45 AM
Changes have been made:
Catchers:
Steve Corino, 25 - Acquired as a FA. He's a young bopper better suited for DH right now as his D/PC numbers aren't up to snuff. He'll still catch around 100 games and play 35-40 at first.
Vinny Riggs, 28 -Sent down
Vic Ortiz, 28 - Acquired as a FA. I realized I didn't have a good late inning D replacement or an outstanding PC for my young pitchers. He was signed for 350K for one year. He also hits ies decently and will start most of the games that Saez/Alonso are scheduled.
Infielders:
Chad Laker, 24 - returnee. Easily our best hitter. Really rakes the righties but needs to improves vs. ies. Should hit over .300 with 30 homers and about 20 SB. He'll play 1B with a few starts in RF when Corino plays 1B.
Rafael Santos, 26 - returnee. Traded
Jimmy Vega, 30 - FA. Signed a big contract to play 2B and bat leadoff. He's expected to have a .380 OBP and solidify our middle infield.
Max Baez, 26 - returnee. Sent down
Jerome Hynes, 26 - returnee. Jerome is going to be quite the hitter. With his exceptional range he'll be playing SS despite his mediocre glove. We expect .300 with 30+ homers out of the fifth spot.
Tony Suarez, 29 - FA. Tony as a FA with big demands. He re-signed with us once he found out he wasn't as marketable as he thought. He'll get time at 3B/LF/RF. He's an average hitter who excels vs. righties.
Clint Robinson, 24 - FA. Vegas management is already questioning Clint's signing. He came out of high school drawing comparisons to Ozzie Smith. Due to poor coaching, his glove and arm accuracy has taken a beating. He'll get the P/T in hopes that he'll recover his lost form. We just don't know where we'll hide him.
Outfielders:
Victor Seguignol, 29 - FA. Signed to be our CF and #3 hitter. His stellar D should save a few hits in the middle of the field.
Bud Halladay, 25 - returnee. Sent down
Larry Robinson, 31 - returnee. Sent down
Pitchers:
Seth Ramsey, 35 - returnee. Waived.
Samuel Keeler, 28 - FA. Sammy is a back of the rotation type of guy. The staff was a mess so he was signed to fill a role. He'll get his starts.
Marquis Arnold, 27 - returnee. Sent down but recently recalled
Zephyr Smith, 29 - returnee. Sent down but recently recalled
Alex Saez, 26 - FA. Nothing special but he could be a decent 2-3 guy with a little seasoning. He'll be a fixture in the rotation for a few seasons.
Stan Fonda, 25 - returnee. Traded
Juan Amaro, 34 - trade. A pretty good pitcher. Too bad he's too old to be around when we get this ship righted. He'll do fine this year.
Dicky Dickey, 31 - trade. Not much but he'll get the ball over the plate. He'll get his starts and maybe keep us in the game.
Octavio Benitez, 28 - FA. Octavio is pretty solid. He'll help anchor the rotation for the next few years.
Alberto Alonso, 24 - FA. Our big FA signing. He's a solid #3 right now but can develop into an ace. He'll get as many innings as I can give him.
Jorge Aquilera, 33 - WW. Traded
Russ Mirabelli, 28 - WW. Traded
I'll be back with our new players a little later. The trades brought younger talent to the team. Most are in the minors.
5/10/2007 11:20 AM
Well, the season is over. We finished with 66 wins.
We made 11 trades and received 20 players.
We made 9 WW claims.
We signed 19 free agents.
We finished 31st in runs scored.
We finished 11th in runs allowed.
We were 20th in errors made.
Our HiA and AAA teams made the playoffs.
Our draft produced 6 20-21 y/o who will contribute in the bigs.
We have 73m committed to next season's salary.
All in all, this was a successful season. We won 24 more games than the previous season. Our minors are strong with tons of 20-23 year old talent on the way. Obviously we need to score more runs. Most of our personnel moves addressed this weakness. I'd say about 80% of the "meaningful" players from the previous season are gone.
I expect to exceed .500 next season(a 15 game improvement) and make the playoffs the following season. I don't expect to be active in free agency next season and there will only be a few call-ups.
Right now I'm waiving players who were put in the bigs by previous ownership. There are at least 9 who will never play big league ball for me who are making 350k+.
6/22/2007 8:47 AM
i woulda made the playoffs in season 2, if i were you
6/22/2007 9:12 AM
Season 2(for me) hasn't started. I suppose I could promote some AAA guys and do just that. However, it's rather pointless. jfj has a powerhouse of young players acquired in 'tarded up trades from season 1-2. Making the playoffs is pointless as he will crush my youngsters. I need to wait(and can afford to as my AAA players could use another minor league season) until he has to fork out some big money or let some of those guys go.
6/22/2007 9:29 AM
Thats a hell of a lot of posts to try and make an excuse to finish with just 66 wins.
6/22/2007 9:40 AM
◂ Prev 1...6|7|8|9|10...16 Next ▸
Under Construction: Rebuilding Las Vegas Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.