Don't Fix What Isn't Broken (Following Dev Chat) Topic

And close to us in Dayton!
3/13/2016 11:10 PM
But aren't terms like broken and fixed in their figurative usage just symptoms of the larger problems concerning language which instead inhibit the thought constructs needed to create a framework (both individually and collectively) rather than actually facilitating the analysis and debate capable of moving the game in the right direction for all parties???...what we really need is a change in zeitgeist.
3/13/2016 11:16 PM
Posted by Benis on 3/13/2016 10:51:00 PM (view original):
"Don't fix what isn't broken"

This was probably said by the people who opposed expanding the ncaa tourney field to 68 teams.
The expansion to 68 gave us Tulsa this year. Yay expansion!
3/13/2016 11:18 PM
Posted by nachopuzzle on 3/13/2016 11:16:00 PM (view original):
But aren't terms like broken and fixed in their figurative usage just symptoms of the larger problems concerning language which instead inhibit the thought constructs needed to create a framework (both individually and collectively) rather than actually facilitating the analysis and debate capable of moving the game in the right direction for all parties???...what we really need is a change in zeitgeist.
Check out the big brain on Brett
3/13/2016 11:19 PM
Posted by kcsundevil on 3/13/2016 11:18:00 PM (view original):
Posted by Benis on 3/13/2016 10:51:00 PM (view original):
"Don't fix what isn't broken"

This was probably said by the people who opposed expanding the ncaa tourney field to 68 teams.
The expansion to 68 gave us Tulsa this year. Yay expansion!
Everyone hates the expansion to 68 teams.... until their favorite team is on the bubble.

Also, remember VCU made the final four when they were the last team in a few years ago.
3/13/2016 11:19 PM
I have various coaching names and 15 teams playing in the worlds of HD. If the new recruiting is not as good as what we do today or if it is so complicated that your effort in doing it does not equate to the recruits you get then this sim can kiss my 15 teams goodbye after eight years and hundreds of seasons....I sure hope you people know what you are doing. Tried the football game here and didn't have the time to make it work. Make this change a hassle and it could be the biggest mistake of all. Could it be that the sim does want to just shut it down?
3/13/2016 11:32 PM
Posted by nachopuzzle on 3/13/2016 11:16:00 PM (view original):
Perhaps from now on when I complain about facets of the game I don't like I will refer to them as areas that I believe are technologically challenged.
3/13/2016 11:33 PM
Posted by gomiami1972 on 3/13/2016 4:47:00 PM (view original):
Posted by the0nlyis on 3/13/2016 4:39:00 PM (view original):
Posted by gomiami1972 on 3/13/2016 4:11:00 PM (view original):
Colorado School of Mines would have too much of an advantage, IMHO.
why? they have 3 schools right there and the colorado doesn't produce enough recruits for the entire conference to be good?
lol, seriously?
Must have totally went over his head, no? I guess I'll explain just because. He's saying Colorado School of the Mines would have an advantage because you said the "geological" factor was also true in real life. "Geological".........mining. Think about it for a second. Umm, I think "geographic" might be the word you were looking for in this particular instance. Maybe?
3/14/2016 1:54 AM
Posted by irapost on 3/13/2016 11:33:00 PM (view original):
I have various coaching names and 15 teams playing in the worlds of HD. If the new recruiting is not as good as what we do today or if it is so complicated that your effort in doing it does not equate to the recruits you get then this sim can kiss my 15 teams goodbye after eight years and hundreds of seasons....I sure hope you people know what you are doing. Tried the football game here and didn't have the time to make it work. Make this change a hassle and it could be the biggest mistake of all. Could it be that the sim does want to just shut it down?
Soooo....

It would seem there are plenty of other coaches, some with many more teams than I have, who agree with my general ideas on this topic. Yet I sadly doubt the leadership at WIS will even read this stuff, much less consider it.
3/14/2016 11:27 AM
Do we know that seble is human? Could he be a persona that skynet has adopted as it moves toward the total SIM takeover of HD?
3/14/2016 12:04 PM
I haven't participated on the forums much, but if the recruiting becomes too complicated I will probably leave the game also. I'm already bad at recruiting.....making it more difficult would REALLY suck for me.
3/14/2016 12:06 PM
I have always thought that Big 6 teams getting tourney bids with sub .500 records (and getting the extra money) was the reason why we don't have the Maine's and Southern's in Allen anymore.
3/14/2016 12:07 PM
Posted by smackawits on 3/14/2016 12:07:00 PM (view original):
I have always thought that Big 6 teams getting tourney bids with sub .500 records (and getting the extra money) was the reason why we don't have the Maine's and Southern's in Allen anymore.
the only tourney bids teams are getting with sub .500 records are PIT bids, and even if a team wins the PIT that's 5 games at $5,000 = $25,000 / 12 teams = $2,083 per team.
3/14/2016 12:23 PM
Posted by smackawits on 3/14/2016 12:06:00 PM (view original):
I haven't participated on the forums much, but if the recruiting becomes too complicated I will probably leave the game also. I'm already bad at recruiting.....making it more difficult would REALLY suck for me.
Look, seble's goal seems to be to make it possible for battles to happen. Currently, D3 coaches are well-advised to avoid battles altogether. At Big 6, high prestige schools desperately try to avoid battles as they can usually cheaply pick off good players from lower prestige schools and save money. For instance, when I challenged UVA with my rebuilding UNC program, I lost and it may damage my school for a couple seasons as I barely have enough there be competitive. It probably hurt UVA too. So, if I repeat that move again in-conference, I will come under pressure to avoid such battles in the future. That is why mid-majors struggle to sign good recruits. The big6 learn not to battle (which they all learned at D3) and leverage their advantages against everyone else.

The question will be whether limiting Campus Visits and hiding recruits, so part of your budget is spent "discovering" them will change that. It may be that having a 2nd recruiting period with a seperate budget allotment may allow coaches to shoot the moon, then bail out later. Also, if the bar is set high enough, then giving some chance that the recruit will sign with a slightly behind school will do it too. Tough to get right.

Currently, recruiting is awarded like GOP primaries: winner take all (even though Trump may beat Kasich by only 1% in Ohio, for instance, he'd receive 100% of Ohio's delegates.) Some states, though, award by share, but with minimum vote percentages of something like 20-25%. If WIS bumps the minimum to, say 80% of the leader, and all schools below that receive no chances, then it could be scaled to work very well. Still, the main issue is having a parachute and not finding that not having a discreet recruiting period is just irritating and leads to unintended consequences.
3/14/2016 12:51 PM
Posted by fd343ny on 3/14/2016 12:04:00 PM (view original):
Do we know that seble is human? Could he be a persona that skynet has adopted as it moves toward the total SIM takeover of HD?
Maybe its the case that YOU are the ONLY human.
3/14/2016 7:03 PM
◂ Prev 1...8|9|10|11 Next ▸
Don't Fix What Isn't Broken (Following Dev Chat) Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.