Ask the 'Someone who isn't MikeT' thread. Topic

What's his speed? If it is very high, he could get a lot of slap infield singles. And then if his baserunning rating is high, he could be a good base stealer.
2/22/2023 11:30 AM
Posted by bjschumacher on 2/22/2023 11:30:00 AM (view original):
What's his speed? If it is very high, he could get a lot of slap infield singles. And then if his baserunning rating is high, he could be a good base stealer.
Speed 96, base running 87
2/22/2023 11:46 AM
I think he'd be worth bidding on. Just don't spend a lot on him. You might be able to get him cheap.
2/22/2023 11:51 AM
Posted by ChillyWilly1 on 2/6/2023 6:31:00 PM (view original):
Player Profile: Orlando Belliard - Hardball Dynasty Baseball | WhatIfSports Why is this guy so good? I know he has low LH/RH splits. He has good control and 2 good pitches. Does his GB/Velocity really make up for his low splits to make him a All Star type closer?
He isn't good.
2/22/2023 2:23 PM
Posted by ChillyWilly1 on 2/6/2023 6:35:00 PM (view original):
Player Profile: Walter Jefferies - Hardball Dynasty Baseball | WhatIfSports This guy too. His era was between 6-7 2 seasons ago. I put him to a tandem pitcher to throw 3 or so innings and he has became a wonderful surprise. I know he has low control so my thought was to limit his time out on the mound to help minimize that. He has very good splits and great GB/Velocity as well. His era was 2.36 last season and it is even better this season. I am thinking the gb/velocity kind of neutralize his low control. We are in a normal park. Any thoughts are welcome because I am far from an expert or anything to do with knowing what to do most times. Thanks
He isn't good either. 1.48 whip is not good.
2/22/2023 2:25 PM
Ballard and Jeffries are fine. Bellard the pitches and control make up for the splits. Jefferies the control is fine because the VsR is so good. For Bellard its still small sample size, I'd expect his ERA to be more mid 3 to low 4 depending on other factors, but I'd have either on my team.
2/23/2023 8:45 AM
Reiterating and clarifying: objectively yes these players are not good. What they are doing is outperforming their ratings due to their usage, and over the long term they will likely turn into pumpkins. In a playoff series against a top tier opponent, they'll likely get blown out.
IMO the key is to see what ratings can be exploited with usage. If you're in any kind of competitive world it's hard to just buy up all the best players you can find. You score small wins along the edges of the roster, there are 25 players on it and your last three or four players are going to be ones it's nice to have outperforming themselves.
A recent small win I had was finding a Rule 5 outfielder buried in AA by his old team. Absolutely nothing special, minor league ratings across the board except he was a lefty bat with 95 vsR. I got three seasons out of him as a backup outfielder hitting .260-.270 and cut him when he got to arbitration.

2/23/2023 8:56 AM
I find its a little harder in Riley because there are a lot of good owners that know how to pick up players exactly like what damag was talking about, but in Gibson I've made the playoffs for 12 seasons straight. Part of that is finding those guys that live on the fringes that can out perform and that have useful skills that other owners don't look for. If you can get those guys for cheap then you can spend the money where you really need it.
2/23/2023 9:10 AM
Exactly the point. You have a bad LR making minimum salary but performing well enough to get the job done... you put the money you save into a big FA SP where you really need it.

2/23/2023 9:20 AM
It is all relative to your needs, budget etc. You guys look at era? I have never looked at it when judging a player or how a player will perform.
2/23/2023 10:46 AM
I look at ERA over whip. A guy can give up a double and a walk every inning and have an ERA of 0 and a WHIP of 2.

Another guy can give up a solo home run every inning and have a WHIP of 1 and an ERA of 9.

Those are extreme cases but thats kinda my point.

(This is hockey1984 by the way. Just too lazy to log into my other account)
2/23/2023 11:56 AM
Interesting I really have never used it to judge a pitcher. I guess there is always more than one was to do things.
2/23/2023 12:31 PM
LOL guess what? I don't ignore ERA and WHIP of course... but I look at OAV and SLG first. I kind of make up a reverse OPS for my pitchers.

2/23/2023 5:53 PM
Hmmm I strictly look at ratings and whip. Maybe I need to expand my thoughts.
2/23/2023 6:24 PM
You should see Doctor Robert.
2/23/2023 9:02 PM
◂ Prev 1...102|103|104|105|106...112 Next ▸
Ask the 'Someone who isn't MikeT' thread. Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.