Critical news debate Topic

Posted by MikeT23 on 5/7/2015 6:00:00 PM (view original):
Posted by themergerguy on 5/7/2015 5:57:00 PM (view original):
Posted by sgmedia on 5/7/2015 5:49:00 PM (view original):
I have a problem with not being able to reset my 0 ADV with only one of my teams.  Most of my teams I made my bed and now have to lie in it...but my team in Billy Beane I took over just a couple of weeks ago, in the playoffs, and it had a 0 ADV budget.  I have a problem with the fact that I took that on with no knowledge that the update was coming, and now cannot change it to accommodate the update and never had any of the perceived pre-update benefits of it.  I'm sure that's a rare scenario, but there must be at least a few people who will be affected very negatively by that, and whom WIS should allow to reset their budgets.
I couldn't disagree more.
You had the pre-update benefit of having 20M being spent elsewhere.
It is no different than the rest of your teams.
If you HAD been running the team for 3 seasons or more it would be at 0.

It is really not a game changer in terms of hurting current owners with 0 advanced. It will take awhile to get to a reasonable number, but as is already being discussed some will play the wait and see game anyway. It doesn't hurt your current players at all. It doesn't affect your HS/College projections at all. It doesn't hurt your IFA scouting at all. All it hurts is your ability to "project other teams prospects for a few seasons. 

It makes ADV Scouting more relevant but I seriously don't buy that it is somehow a devastating blow to the owners running 0 for the last 20+ seasons.

In a sick way, I hope you're wrong.

I hope ADV affects all domestic/international prospect projections.    The HS/Coll/IFA could show how MANY of those you see while ADV gives the accurate projections.   THAT would make ADV important.

That would be a little bit of a kick in the sack for us 0 ADV guys but, if you're in MG/Coop, we're all starting at the same point.  
If Mike's guess here - about Prospect and Advance scouting being tied together - is in fact correct, I would say that's a significant enough matter that it shouldn't just be left to everyone to find out for themselves.  I realize the gamemakers shouldn't be telling us everything, but shouldn't "how budget works" actually be in the Help Manual?

5/7/2015 8:46 PM
Agree 100% with MikeT's analysis that a global spreadsheet would be insane. I love a spreadsheet and data bases and spending too much time on these games as much as anyone, but the time needed to catalog every player on every team in every one of my worlds — and then to dig through that data — is indeed insane. Between stats, draft position or IFA bonus, age, makeup, past contracts, you can make an educated guess about players' outlook. At least close enough to mirror the educated guess 5 seconds of 4th-grade math will give you under the current system. Anyone willing to put an insane amount of effort in will always be able to find tiny advantages; this might be one more but nowhere near enough people will do it for it to matter.
5/7/2015 8:48 PM
I think you guys will be surprised by how little this update will affect things.. I really don't think they will have bad amateur prospect projections for teams that budget high and you won't have extreme busts or more HOF players being drafted mid to late 1st round.. It really wouldn't be good for the game if somebody takes a dogshet team with a 1st pick and gets screwed with a bust player... Also wouldn't be good for the game if a juggernaut team is able to get lucky and score a stud player at pick 32 and also get a stud IFA the same season...

IFA prospect change will only really lessen the chance of a team budgeting 8-10m in IFA scouting and landing a true stud...

The INT scouting change will just make it harder to track trends... I bet they didn't even make the other changes as far as differenting advancement patterns and fuzziness in scouting...

It's like giving somebody a stale soda telling them that you gave them booze and them thinking they are drunk.
5/7/2015 8:54 PM
So we will not be able to see historical ratings for players on other rosters. But I assume we will still be able to see historical stats?
5/7/2015 8:59 PM
Don't feel like reading the other 13 pages. So...We were getting too many DitRs? I think I've only ever had more than 3 in a season once. Why can't we have individual player baserunning/stealing settings? I want my speedy guys to be a 5 and slower guys to be 1s.
5/7/2015 9:01 PM
Of course you do.
5/7/2015 9:02 PM
Posted by mchales_army on 5/7/2015 7:58:00 PM (view original):
Posted by jrnyfan01 on 5/7/2015 6:24:00 PM (view original):
Seems like 5 seasons to bring your ADV or INT/HS/COLL scouting from zero to 20. Without 20, who will trade with you? Players you have drafted/acquired prior to that number are suspect at best once the update is incorporated.
Then, 3.5 or 4 seasons to see those better projected draft picks progress through the minors and play for your ML team (if lucky because you still could draft someone crappy). At least 2 calendar years and $200+ to adjust to the new world order for each team owned. I think they might be overestimating my love of the game...
Actually jrnyfan beat him by a few pages. Although in all fairness he just "hinted" that "they overestimate my love for this game"

Page 9

I don't expect to leave entirely anytime soon. But, I would appreciate the opportunity to begin in a new world instead of taking the time to redevelop my current plans that are already in motion ;-)
5/7/2015 9:05 PM
Maybe I am missing it but I see nothing in the update that would lead me to believe that ADV is in any way tied to Draft or IFA ratings.
5/7/2015 9:13 PM

In Capra, 6 teams have more than 10 in ADV.    HS/College/IFA are all over the place like pretty much every world.

No Quitters, 4 teams more than 10 ADV.   Same with prospect scouting as in Capra.

You're all starting on the same level, more or less, like you would in a new world where talent is far from distributed evenly.

5/7/2015 9:16 PM
Posted by jrnyfan01 on 5/7/2015 9:05:00 PM (view original):
Posted by mchales_army on 5/7/2015 7:58:00 PM (view original):
Posted by jrnyfan01 on 5/7/2015 6:24:00 PM (view original):
Seems like 5 seasons to bring your ADV or INT/HS/COLL scouting from zero to 20. Without 20, who will trade with you? Players you have drafted/acquired prior to that number are suspect at best once the update is incorporated.
Then, 3.5 or 4 seasons to see those better projected draft picks progress through the minors and play for your ML team (if lucky because you still could draft someone crappy). At least 2 calendar years and $200+ to adjust to the new world order for each team owned. I think they might be overestimating my love of the game...
Actually jrnyfan beat him by a few pages. Although in all fairness he just "hinted" that "they overestimate my love for this game"

Page 9

I don't expect to leave entirely anytime soon. But, I would appreciate the opportunity to begin in a new world instead of taking the time to redevelop my current plans that are already in motion ;-)
Maybe you swap teams with someone who has a comparable team and you both could be at 10s right away and still keep yourselves in hte world you've grown accustomed to and enjoy?
5/7/2015 9:18 PM
Posted by crickett13 on 5/7/2015 9:13:00 PM (view original):
Maybe I am missing it but I see nothing in the update that would lead me to believe that ADV is in any way tied to Draft or IFA ratings.
Me neither but I'm speculating.    A lot of these changes somewhat mirror a few suggestions I made 3 years ago.   In that post, ADV is tied to prospect projections.   Otherwise, this change doesn't affect very much if you spend limited time trading for young players.
5/7/2015 9:18 PM
I feel like Adv will be the new Medical budget. There will be arguements for 0 and there will be arguements for 20. Anything in the middle is pointless.
5/7/2015 9:22 PM
Posted by hockey1984 on 5/7/2015 9:22:00 PM (view original):
I feel like Adv will be the new Medical budget. There will be arguements for 0 and there will be arguements for 20. Anything in the middle is pointless.
Of course, anything in the middle (or at least between 1 and 14) is already pointless. Righ now you either need to max out your adv in order to get accurate ratings, or get to zero as soon as possible to save money. Running a $10 adv budget doesn't help anything as it is now.
5/7/2015 9:49 PM
Personally I don't feel like running a 20 ADV budget does anything now.

Wait! All of this means nothing until the 'budget anlysis' page is removed. Let's say my team is doing poorly and I want to trade my aging stud pitcher for some young talent. I look at the team I am trading with and I look at their IFA's and what they spent for the past 4 years (as I always did) and their first and 2nd round draft picks for the past 4 years. The only difference now is I will look at their budgets. If they had a high IFA and Domestic scouting I will make the trade, if no, I will look elsewhere.
5/7/2015 10:21 PM (edited)
I believe that's one of the points of these updates.
5/7/2015 10:14 PM
◂ Prev 1...11|12|13|14|15...54 Next ▸
Critical news debate Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.