Round 1 Sound Off Thread, 2019 Topic

Posted by barracuda3 on 8/30/2019 11:42:00 AM (view original):
There's a team in my $70M league that's on an L24 that drafted 1,083 innings.

The thing is, I can make an argument for drafting that few. It's not a great argument, but it goes:

I think in a $70M league I can get away with 1275 IP. I'll play in Petco, and I'll assume that most of the other owners will choose extreme pitcher's parks like I am, so I'll end up averaging playing in parks that are around 0.85, and 0.85*1275=1084.

Now I'm not super comfortable with any of those assumptions, but it is possible that a reasonable person could be. The biggest problem in this case is that the team that has 1,083 IP is not playing at Petco. They're playing at Shibe.

I don't know if the issue is people who are used to drafting for open leagues where there's AAA and the waiver wire, or what. But, while I never would've thought that an IP minimum was needed for this tourney, perhaps it is for the first round. Unfortunately that would prevent someone from reasonably attempting something as laid out in my argument above, but perhaps it's worth it in order to weed out the 150 loss teams.
That is my team. And I have wanted to write about this for some time now. I realized we were at less than 1100 innings after the season started. Candidly, I have no explanation for this as my other teams are right around 1500 or more. I do recall that I was setting three different teams at the same time and it is possible that I drafted one reliever in the 70 MM when I was supposed to be drafting a starter who was placed on another team. A 250 inning starter would have me at a relatively thin 1300 or so.
I am the one suffering as we can't make it past the 4th inning without the game falling apart. If you notice, I have tried to pull it out of the ditch by resting everyone and pitching a sacrificial lamb on occasion. It doesn't work. All my guys are 50 fatigue and belowl
9/5/2019 2:57 AM
You are the one suffering but the impact is to everyone. A random set of owners that were placed in your league are going to get a bunch of free wins while everyone else will not.
9/5/2019 7:24 AM
Some of these results so far have been really kooky. I am expecting serious turmoil in the second half, and eventually most leagues settling into extreme parity
9/5/2019 8:16 PM
My teams remind me of Bernie Sanders. They have a high floor and a low ceiling. I could have six teams with a winning record and still miss the cage. Has anyone else experienced that?
9/7/2019 1:42 AM
Posted by clayolson1 on 9/5/2019 2:57:00 AM (view original):
Posted by barracuda3 on 8/30/2019 11:42:00 AM (view original):
There's a team in my $70M league that's on an L24 that drafted 1,083 innings.

The thing is, I can make an argument for drafting that few. It's not a great argument, but it goes:

I think in a $70M league I can get away with 1275 IP. I'll play in Petco, and I'll assume that most of the other owners will choose extreme pitcher's parks like I am, so I'll end up averaging playing in parks that are around 0.85, and 0.85*1275=1084.

Now I'm not super comfortable with any of those assumptions, but it is possible that a reasonable person could be. The biggest problem in this case is that the team that has 1,083 IP is not playing at Petco. They're playing at Shibe.

I don't know if the issue is people who are used to drafting for open leagues where there's AAA and the waiver wire, or what. But, while I never would've thought that an IP minimum was needed for this tourney, perhaps it is for the first round. Unfortunately that would prevent someone from reasonably attempting something as laid out in my argument above, but perhaps it's worth it in order to weed out the 150 loss teams.
That is my team. And I have wanted to write about this for some time now. I realized we were at less than 1100 innings after the season started. Candidly, I have no explanation for this as my other teams are right around 1500 or more. I do recall that I was setting three different teams at the same time and it is possible that I drafted one reliever in the 70 MM when I was supposed to be drafting a starter who was placed on another team. A 250 inning starter would have me at a relatively thin 1300 or so.
I am the one suffering as we can't make it past the 4th inning without the game falling apart. If you notice, I have tried to pull it out of the ditch by resting everyone and pitching a sacrificial lamb on occasion. It doesn't work. All my guys are 50 fatigue and belowl
This is the perfect reason to set an innings floor. Clayolson1 clearly meant to have more innings, he just missed it and now has to unfortunately live with it. I inevitably need to go back and change 2 to 3 teams every season because I made minor mistakes that don't meet the theme rules. Mistakes happen, and a floor will help control that.
9/7/2019 7:03 AM
Posted by tigerrott on 9/7/2019 1:42:00 AM (view original):
My teams remind me of Bernie Sanders. They have a high floor and a low ceiling. I could have six teams with a winning record and still miss the cage. Has anyone else experienced that?
My brother, ff09, played in this one year, and I think he had zero teams make the playoffs despite finishing over .500 overall. He had a bunch of 82-84 win teams.
9/7/2019 12:49 PM
At the moment a .543 pct just misses the cut, which is 38 games over .500. Divide that across six teams and yeah you could easily have a bunch of 86-win teams and be left out. It's going to be really tense to the finish here.
9/7/2019 1:06 PM
I was listening to Jurassic 5 on Youtube when all of a sudden a band named Ozomatli popped up. Chali 2na & Cut Chemist from J5 were on the track... I'm a fan of horns, so I enjoyed it.
9/7/2019 3:49 PM
Posted by milest on 9/7/2019 3:49:00 PM (view original):
I was listening to Jurassic 5 on Youtube when all of a sudden a band named Ozomatli popped up. Chali 2na & Cut Chemist from J5 were on the track... I'm a fan of horns, so I enjoyed it.
Anyone named Miles better like horns, by golly!
9/7/2019 4:59 PM
in the pm2 games I had 4 extra inning one run losses. In each game I had a blown save. I feel like this has to be some kind of record for one session.
9/7/2019 10:38 PM
We're at game #80 right now. After the pm2 games, I am looking forward to some mid-season analysis!
9/9/2019 4:25 PM
It took halfway through the season, but I finally got my first schwarze

Gathering data from commissioners -- will post aggregated advanced standings later tonight
9/9/2019 6:29 PM
How's this for WIS stupidity: https://www.whatifsports.com/slb/Boxscore.aspx?gid=32764350&pid=1&pbp=0&tf=10

9th inning, my closer 2013 Mariano Rivera enters that game @ 100% with a 2 run lead (this after we gave up 4 runs in the bottom of the 8th being up by 6).

So their pitcher is due up first, so what happens is they PH for him with 1992 Donnie Hill who is at 0% (ZERO), who then gets an infield single and gets INJURED on the play to start the 2 run rally. I mean honestly how does a hitter at ZERO percent get a hit off one of the best closers in history when he was at 100% *AND* out runs the throw to first.

SMH...

/end rant

9/10/2019 4:29 PM
Posted by buddhagamer on 9/10/2019 4:29:00 PM (view original):
How's this for WIS stupidity: https://www.whatifsports.com/slb/Boxscore.aspx?gid=32764350&pid=1&pbp=0&tf=10

9th inning, my closer 2013 Mariano Rivera enters that game @ 100% with a 2 run lead (this after we gave up 4 runs in the bottom of the 8th being up by 6).

So their pitcher is due up first, so what happens is they PH for him with 1992 Donnie Hill who is at 0% (ZERO), who then gets an infield single and gets INJURED on the play to start the 2 run rally. I mean honestly how does a hitter at ZERO percent get a hit off one of the best closers in history when he was at 100% *AND* out runs the throw to first.

SMH...

/end rant

See also: Game 1 of the 1988 World Series

If ever a player was at less than 0% it was Kirk Gibson.
9/10/2019 5:02 PM
Posted by buddhagamer on 9/10/2019 4:29:00 PM (view original):

SMH...

/end rant

I would argue that, IN REAL LIFE, a pinch-hitter at 0% (barely able to walk) hit a two-run homer off the most dominant closer during his best year ever.
9/10/2019 5:02 PM
◂ Prev 1...11|12|13|14|15...24 Next ▸
Round 1 Sound Off Thread, 2019 Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.